melmer

Oculus rift

Oh okay, so I should figure out within a few minutes if I'm disposed to this weird business? I guess I'm not, though watching people unwrap Lego is always fun.

Is that what your friend was saying?

For the record, you cracked me up.

Yeah I've been thinking about that for a while. It seems like the leap can see where your hands are in a lot of detail, if it could map that to a hand skeleton it could work super well for a lot of first person stuff

Imagine if someone made an Oculus Rift + Leap mod for Surgeon Simulator 2013 that just made the game completely easy.

It would be like a Kinect version of QWOP.

Oh yeah I found out about the ASMR thing recently as well, since I guess I was wondering why I get those weird sensations in my head when people are quiet or cut my hair. My recent haircut made me remember that I should probably look it up one day, as the internet is always beckoning to look up useless obscure things. Turns out I have it I guess? Usually comes from being lulled into relax mode by customer support agents on the phone.

Trying to get it to work from anything online trying to target it does not work. I doubt listening to any kind of book on tape or something would do it either. I think it requires another active human in every case for me.

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.

Ooooh! This is really interesting, thanks. Since I was very young, I've been able to induce a warm, extremely pleasant tingling in most of my skin just by breathing in a slow, deep, measured way. From there, it feels like it's rebounding through my body like waves. It's like the pleasurable sensation inside a sneeze, but sustained.

It doesn't happen involuntarily, but anything emotionally charged (especially music) can act as a precursor and enhance it massively. I've never knowingly met anyone else who experiences this, let alone found a name for it. Researching it turns up people who get similar stuff but are inevitably spouting some mystical bollocks or pseudoscience guff alongside it. From now on I think I'm going to call it Narcissistic Sensory Median Response :)

Got mine today. Pretty cool, though I have to mess up my window bounds to get it to run.

I came into this thread and saw a video called Silent Unboxing.  The person started unboxing and it made sound.  I was immediately unhappy.

This thing has ridiculously low resolution, and even when adjusted properly you can see the pixel grid clearly. Despite this, loading up the small arena level that comes with the UDK and putting on the Rift and some headphones is a most ridiculously immersive experience. I can't really see a good use for the Rift in a fast-paced FPS like Unreal, and immersion alone probably isn't the holy grail for video games, but if this thing makes it to production and gets a higher pixel density, I'm excited to see what kind of stuff people will be able to do with it. Fun observation: Mixing WASD and mouselook controls with head-tracking worked surprisingly well. I was prepared to instantly barf all over myself, but nothing came out.

Be honest, you barfed all over yourself a little bit..

Wait, why do you have one? Are you some sort of a rich person?!

Okay a little, but not a scientifically significant amount.

I backed it on Kickstarter, and don't remember it being ridiculously expensive. Anyway, I'll triple my investment once «Lamp Marine: Oculus Rift Edition: Tales of The Oculous Eye» comes out.

Assuming your computer is amazing, you should totally open the map called FoliageMap in UDK, run around it in the rift and report back

Not bad at all, but I've had more success with the Necrowhatever. Just running around, trying the jump pad, standing on ledges, looking up a the towery things; it has a eerie, genuine sense of scale.

I am only now (only now!) starting to crack up about the name. The Oculus Rift. Pfffrrrt!

Not bad at all, but I've had more success with the Necrowhatever. Just running around, trying the jump pad, standing on ledges, looking up a the towery things; it has a eerie, genuine sense of scale.

Sweet. I will be interested to see how my vidjagames feel with this thing

Yeah, I guess that guy is playing using mouse emulation, which is interesting. And the FOV is wrong because I guess Mirror's Edge doesn't like you messin' with it. 

Given how simple implementing headtracking apparently is in Unreal, it is a shame we almost certainly won't see official Rift patches for older games like ME. 

This is the best justification I've seen yet for the existence of this device.

I guess there's a Virtual Boy emulator for this thing already.

Sweet.