Snooglebum

Cyberpunk video games

Wow, it's so strange to think this current generation probably hasn't been exposed to cyberpunk at all... How do you explain the allure of cyberpunk to people who were practically born with an iDevice in their hands? XP

My first game console was a Gameboy in 1989.

I played games on some manner of Apple II prior to that.

I feel old.

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Man, that Gibson, he can sentence.

I hate that that sentence is so quotable because it always makes me want to go and read Neuromancer again. Neuromancer is like Deus Ex - every time someone mentions it, I have to fight the urge not to go back through it.

I started reading it for the first time almost a year ago... I've really let myself go in terms of reading. Didn't finish a single book last year. I used to read at least one a month or so.

Wow, it's so strange to think this current generation probably hasn't been exposed to cyberpunk at all... How do you explain the allure of cyberpunk to people who were practically born with an iDevice in their hands? XP

Forget the "cyber" part. Punk was long dead before kids currently in college were born. Stuff like anarchism and DIY is totally lost on them.

Great thread. I've been thinking of how cyber-punk is a first-world fantasy of living in the third-world of the future. I love the idea of playing from the perspective that you know the wealthy have technology far beyond your comprehension. I love the fantasy of having to depend on word-of-mouth from youth-culture to find out which flea-market stall is the black-market dealer so that you can buy illicit hardware that might maim you, just so you can voyeurize an elite class, completely out of context.

DIY is totally lost on them.

I really don't think that's true. DIY was never a really common thing, but I think it's more common now, thanks to the internet.

That video contains content from PIAS and INgrooves, and they hate my country.

That video contains content from PIAS and INgrooves, and they hate my country.

Oh that sucks. Does that mean you can't watch it?

Dude, the Mega-corps got some serious ICE. You should get a deck that doesn't belong in a museum and some decent ICE-breakers to access cyberspace.

Also: The section of the video that explains what cyberspace is has "Fiction" blinking in big red letters for the duration of the segment so you don't get confused and think that you can jack-in to a landscape of geometric shapes that exists only in the mind of the console-cowboy. That is the best.

Plus there is a part where they are talking about how in virtual-reality, you could be in the same place as a person in another part of the world and it looks like the Tuscany-demo for the Oculus.

The game director's only history is flash marketing sites?

Looking at the concept art and the gameplay description, i'm expecting a co-op brawler with a lot of QTE's or otherwise heavily-guided setpieces.

That's the only thing that makes sense with that small kickstarter goal, considering their ambitious promises.

It looks like a classic example of people having a universe before having a game, the pitch is almost entirely about the art and the story.

Looks like something I'd rather play as a visual-novel than as a third-person slicer.

I don't know much about making games, but I'm constantly baffled by the prioritization of technical parity over unique stories or systems. Personally, I'm more interested in playing a cyberpunk game where I'm trying to figure out who to trust, than playing one that focuses on combat. The cyberpunk universe has so much potential for new ways to feel vulnerable.

this looks cool but... it's a game about hacking and the UI looks really similar to uplink? right down to the font, colours and scaling. and that world map is even reminiscent of DEFCON. this is just from the screenshots - I have no idea how it plays or what

Cyber punk action game on kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1713834306/reborn

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/10/reborn-kickstarter-campaign-launched.html

Really nice concept art.... Maybe all it has going for it?

i actually came here to post this. this is pretty much what i'd want out of cyberpunk fiction. games like syndicate and deus ex don't appeal to me as much because i feel to start with something story based like shooting dudes kind of takes away from the style of the genre. an action RPG seems like a better thing with which to build your fiction around

I started working on a cyberpunk twine story today. Coming up with slang that is rad in a corny kind of way without making it sound like complete bull-shit is more challenging than I thought. I ended up calling orphaned street-husslers "minnows" to give you an idea of how bad I am at this.

It's fun.

Thanks for pointing this out, it looks like it might have something to it.

bumping this topic since I just started playing system shock 2 today and it totally caught me off guard, blowing my mind and provoking me to crave any ounce of cyberpunk i can get my hands on. started beneath a steel sky and the original syndicate too, hoping that'll help curb it somewhat

also made me realise how disappointing bioshock is, given what ken levine had already done. the mechanics, gameplay and systems in that game are so cool and the fact that bioshock plays like it was made for steampunk babies in comparison makes me sad i guess. even the muted aesthetics, marred by technology though they may be, are just way more appealing and if i were to ever make a game it would probably look exactly the same