tegan

Pokémon X and Y

I don't understand basically anything in this thread but I'm very excited to try this this week. There have been a few massive franchises I've never bothered with at all, then got into late and hugely enjoyed. I'd like to think this could be another. #teamY

What's with the Saturday release though, is that a Japanese thing? Odd.

Nintendo likes to release games on Sundays. I think Saturday is just a concession that Japan gives to NOA because of US retailers.

Kat Bailey wrote up a pretty solid article on IGN about competitive battling, might be good light reading for the uninitiated - 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/08/inside-the-twisted-world-of-competitive-pokemon-battling

It's absolutely nuts that they've exposed EVs in the game proper and that there is now specific, non-wild battling training for them. The only thing I think they could do to make it more accessible is expose IVs explicitly and have a way to wipe out a Pokemon's EVs wholesale.

Damn, I just realized something... since I live in Spain I have to take in account whether the Spanish edition will include the English one, I don't like playing my games in Spanish, the translation tends to be horrible. 

But since it's a 3DS game it's likely to have more than one language, right? I mean I have the Spanish edition of Animal Crossing and that has more text than a library and I'm playing it in English, so it's a pretty safe bet.

Speaking of European versions, do Germany and France still "translate" some of the Pokémon names? I know Geodude in Kleinstein in Germany.

The Polygon review applauded the game as the best RPG of its kind ever and the revolution the series sorely needed, but when it came time to back up those lofty claims, the article came no further than 'it's really nice to have 3D Pokémon' and 'multiplayer battles are a step up and you can give each other gifts'. So that was a deflating read.

Pokemon games for me were Blue Silver Emerald (didn't play when R/S first came out) Leaf Green Pearl Plat SS Black. I'm going to get Y because I need to stay loyal to my Y chromosome.

Damn, I just realized something... since I live in Spain I have to take in account whether the Spanish edition will include the English one, I don't like playing my games in Spanish, the translation tends to be horrible. 

But since it's a 3DS game it's likely to have more than one language, right? I mean I have the Spanish edition of Animal Crossing and that has more text than a library and I'm playing it in English, so it's a pretty safe bet.

Speaking of European versions, do Germany and France still "translate" some of the Pokémon names? I know Geodude in Kleinstein in Germany.

They confirmed a while back that, even though it's region-locked, you can play in any language in any version of the game.

from that polygon review: The new Pokemon-Amie mode reinforces that newfound identity, letting you pet, feed and play mini-games with your team to improve their mood.

that's all i'm going to be doing. They will all be level 1 but happy as fuck

Hmm, if memory serves me well, Nintendo games tend to come out one day before the official release date, so we could potentially get it on Friday? 

Wish it wasn't region locked. Would def pick it up if it wasn't region locked. Not sure I will otherwise. Gg Nintendo!

Wish it wasn't region locked. Would def pick it up if it wasn't region locked. Not sure I will otherwise. Gg Nintendo!

It doesn't make much of a difference though. Worst to worst buy it digitally if you are in a different country

It doesn't make much of a difference though. Worst to worst buy it digitally if you are in a different country

Doesn't make a difference to you.

Digital is an option, though I strongly dislike using my CC since I am living in a different country.

When does that Torchic giveaway end?  I'd like to get Y but I won't have time to play until next month, so I'd rather wait until then to get it so I'm not tempted to play.  But l don't want to miss out on a free mega pokemon so I'll get it at launch if I have to.

I have Pokémon X! I will have the cutest trainer with the cutest Pokémon and I will tear the land asunder with our kawaii power!

I will be very upset if I can't give my trainer ringlets.... I'm not kidding! 

I had completely forgotten a new game store opened so I went there and they had the game ready to sell, HUZZAH!

"Charizardnite" man what a dumb name hah. Awesome.

Okay... so far it looks like you can pet EVERY Pokémon, which is going to get creepy when you pet the humanoid ones, and each one has it's favorite and least favorite spots to be petted on...

My Pidgey freaked out when I petted his chest instead of it's head... The game has minigames to play for "happiness food" and mini games for what I guess is easy EV training? 

I'm not sure what to think of the customization so far... It seems each town has different stores so you'll have to find one with clothes you like... the first store only had hats... the second didn't let me in because of the they way I was dressed....

As for hair, unless it changes from town to town, it's VERY limited, I guess I won't be getting ringlets after all....

The game seems to hold your hand A LOT, you have a friend to heal you in the first forest/dungeon and you get XP Share after the first Gym Leader battler.

I'm happy with the "fennec" Pokémon it IS literally a wizard, once it evolved it started using a staff and everything to cast it's attacks!

And it's pretty obvious who the bad guy is if you've played a Pokémon game before.

I can't relate, but that's pretty funny. Does that really mean Jake is going to pick up X or Y? Funny how into his 3DS he's getting. Maybe Sean will pick up whatever Jake doesn't, hah. Remo will remain confused, playing Spelunky with Congrats Nick in the background. <3 the Thumbs.

Completely not sure whether I will break down and buy digital but who am I kidding I probably will. Ugh. Well we shall see how long I may or may not be able to postpone the purchase.

I am suddenly really looking forward to next week's cast.

Also, this leak is too good for me not to comment on: Pinsir and Heracross both got Mega Evolutions. Pinsir's is a really odd choice, being Bug/Flying with an ability that turns Normal moves into Flying moves, which is really odd since everyone always thought that Pinsir would become Bug/Fighting like Heracross (it didn't learn anything besides Normal and Fighting moves until gen IV, even). Then I realized that Pinsir's Mega is specifically built to be a Heracross killer. After all this time in Heracross' shadow as the original but inferior fighting bug, it's now got all kinds of crazy STAB Normal-cum-Flying moves like Quick Attack, Thrash, and Return on its side. Imagine if they gave it Extremespeed.

Nintendo likes to release games on Sundays. I think Saturday is just a concession that Japan gives to NOA because of US retailers.

True. Might be because of Skylanders: Swap Force getting the Sunday this time around as well. Sneaky!

Double sneaky on Nintendo for moving to the day before!!

I don't know about America, but you can always get Nintendo games the day before the official release in my country.

Am I the only one playing it so far? D:

EDIT: OH MY GOD! The Female Wobuffet wear lipstick for some reason... I love this! XD

EDIT: OH MY GOD! The Female Wobuffet wear lipstick for some reason... I love this! XD

That was one of the weirder gender differences introduced in Gen IV.

Welp, this is the eve of a new gen and I'm closer than I've ever been to finishing the dex, so I thought I'd post my progress here. Red are ones that I can't get without trading. Anyone wanna' help?

NSDMBiE.jpg