tegan

Pokémon X and Y

How about Vullaby? I think you can catch one on Victory Road and it'd be pretty close to evolving into Mandibuzz, whose Dark/Flying would address Fighting, Psychic, and Ghost.

I'm about 20 hours in and just hit Nimbasa City, so I'm a little slow going. My team is a little weak on type-coverage - fire types are annihilating my team and my Riolu/Elekid are just glass cannons until they evolve. I always thought it was weird how rare water-type Pokemon are until you learn surf or get a fishing pole.

I'm also struck by how I'm really not very overleveled in this game so far. Typically, I find myself at least a good five or six levels on average stronger than enemy teams, but I'm almost always evenly matched on levels and gym leaders/special enemies usually take out at least half of my team. I don't know if this is just because I'm less patient about grinding or there are fewer trainers in the wild to level against, but it's definitely a different experience which is keeping me roped in and on the edge in combat.

* Main Characters are named Jean and Jane in the localization, non-customizable. 

Bad idea on Mr. XY's part to lead in with this one. Most of the others are at least semi-believable.

He means their appearance, not their names. There was a big rumour that the player character avatars would be customizable for some reason. Mr. XY also posted a bunch of other stuff just recently, but I'm not going to bother reposting it all unless we get confirmation for some of it first. The mechanics stuff he talked about the first time was just interesting to bring up.

How about Vullaby? I think you can catch one on Victory Road and it'd be pretty close to evolving into Mandibuzz, whose Dark/Flying would address Fighting, Psychic, and Ghost.

I haven't seen any wild Vullaby yet. I think they've moved, since Victory Road is completely different this time through. I just decided to swap out my Steelix for a Swoobat instead and I'm powerlevelling it now. I'm thinking about giving it U-turn for getting out of tight spots against Dark-types, but that would mean spending a lot of time at the Pokémon World Tournament earning BP.

I'm also struck by how I'm really not very overleveled in this game so far. Typically, I find myself at least a good five or six levels on average stronger than enemy teams, but I'm almost always evenly matched on levels and gym leaders/special enemies usually take out at least half of my team. I don't know if this is just because I'm less patient about grinding or there are fewer trainers in the wild to level against, but it's definitely a different experience which is keeping me roped in and on the edge in combat.

Black and White rebalanced how experience works in order to prevent grinding. Now you get more EXP for taking on an enemy with a level higher than yours, but it decreases as your level approaches theirs. If you're significantly higher, you get only a small fraction of what you otherwise would. The downside is that you're pretty much never going to see a monster gain eight levels in one go by deliberately picking a tougher fight and immediately switching to a stronger monster, since the stronger monster's presence will reduce your overall EXP yield.

They did compensate with Audino, though. Audino can appear on any rustling grass tile in the game and it has the third-highest EXP yield after Chansey and Blissey, so it's almost a guaranteed level-up. It's the Metal Slime of the Pokémon world.

He means their appearance, not their names. There was a big rumour that the player character avatars would be customizable for some reason. Mr. XY also posted a bunch of other stuff just recently, but I'm not going to bother reposting it all unless we get confirmation for some of it first. The mechanics stuff he talked about the first time was just interesting to bring up.

I haven't seen any wild Vullaby yet. I think they've moved, since Victory Road is completely different this time through. I just decided to swap out my Steelix for a Swoobat instead and I'm powerlevelling it now. I'm thinking about giving it U-turn for getting out of tight spots against Dark-types, but that would mean spending a lot of time at the Pokémon World Tournament earning BP.

Black and White rebalanced how experience works in order to prevent grinding. Now you get more EXP for taking on an enemy with a level higher than yours, but it decreases as your level approaches theirs. If you're significantly higher, you get only a small fraction of what you otherwise would. The downside is that you're pretty much never going to see a monster gain eight levels in one go by deliberately picking a tougher fight and immediately switching to a stronger monster, since the stronger monster's presence will reduce your overall EXP yield.

They did compensate with Audino, though. Audino can appear on any rustling grass tile in the game and it has the third-highest EXP yield after Chansey and Blissey, so it's almost a guaranteed level-up. It's the Metal Slime of the Pokémon world.

Yeah, Audino has been a blessing at keeping my team on an even level even when I'm entrenched in areas where they simply don't stand a chance against the local fauna.

So apparently Nintendo's going to be unveiling three new pieces of info by Saturday through their Pokémon Smash variety show in Japan, at least one of which will be a new Pokémon.

Eeeeeeee

New Pokémon info today!

It looks like Mewtwo has some kind of new form!

4Txs37c.jpg

Oh Mewtwo, what have they done to you?  :getmecoat

This was actually leaked a few days ago and turned out to be the only thing revealed on the show, but at least we have a good picture of it now! It's not actually confirmed to be related to Mewtwo, but it seems extremely likely given both its extreme likeness and the fact that the newest movie is going to prominently feature Mewtwo. I can't say I'm a fan of the streamlined look or the disproportionately large but "cute" head. Mewtwo is very emblematic of the original games' strong themes of scientific progress: cloning, genetic modification, hybridization, etc. Mewtwo being an ugly copy of Mew was pretty integral to its whole thing as a design and as a character, so I'm hoping that they don't take this in a stupid direction.

I choose to speculate that maybe this isn't an alternate form but a new monster altogether. People have being speculating about X and Y's Japanese logos, which have a double helix symbol embedded in them, as having a genetics theme again. Given that the Pokémon games like to tie themselves to each other in both small and large ways in terms of plot, worldbuilding, etc, maybe they'll continue the original plot thread and have this thing be the result of someone continuing the Mew cloning project from the original games. It's just a theory.

One other thing that I just thought I'd call attention to: in the fifth-generation Pokémon Games, there's a ferris wheel in Nimbasa City where the player can go on a date with an NPC. The NPC is determine by the season, which switches over every month. In each game, one of the four available dates will be a same-sex one. In typical Nintendo fashion, all of the dates are super tame (though allegedly filled with double-entendres in the Japanese version), and the male/male choices are kind of butt (depending on which game they're playing, dudes get to date either a big sweaty bear who's significantly older than themselves or a very sweet crossdresser; while girls get either a super femme waitress who's scared of riding the ferris wheel or a punk rocker girl who serenades them), but I still just wanted to give props to Game Freak for quietly adding a gay option to Pokémon of all things. I would have loved to have that in the games when I was growing up. I'm only bringing it up right now because the month just rolled over and female players can date the rocker girl in BW2 right now.

I'm going with this is Mewfour, and Mewthree is a really ugly burly beast. Kinda like Cell's forms in Dragonball Z.

Now that I think about it, Frieza and Cell are like exactly the same as far as their forms go. Weird.

New Corocoro scans have been leaked! Not actually confirmed, but it seems way too elaborate to be a hoax.

wAgnKi7.jpg

The first scan shows a handful of new monsters. The Panda is a fighting type, the robin is a Normal/Flying type, the lizard thing is an Electric and possibly Normal type (it's not entirely clear due to the camera glare), and the goat is a grass type. We can also see a little bit of what looks like the new Pokédex design (which, of course, is a hologram) and the new stats screen. The most important thing is that the goat's flavour text calls it the "Riding Pokémon." Notice that in the scans, it's shown being ridden in the overworld by the player characters. This is something that I'm incredibly excited about. HeartGold/SoulSilver's overworld monsters were the coolest thing, and actually having a practical use for them sounds even better.

bfDNX9u.jpg

zWtaHAf.jpg

The second scan finally gives us a good look at the protagonists' designs. It looks like they're keeping the older protagonists of generation 5 rather than the allegedly-preteen protagonists of previous generations (also both designs look like they were designed by someone with actual fashion sense for once, so kudos). We can also see more concept art and screenshots of riding the goat, along with another one of those shots showing off the new, more dynamic camera. Most interesting, though, is what looks like a character customization screen. It seems that you can choose your character's hair and skin colour, which is pretty awesome. It's also clear now that the sunglasses visible in the previous trailers are on both trainers, which kind of leads me to believe that they're a mechanically-relevant item rather than a simple fashion accessory. Note also the Pokégear-esque wristband dealies.

I am so excited that I am going to explode, you guys.

EDIT: updated with a better view of the character options.

Those are all pretty cool new Pokemon! Why couldn't any of them be the starters? I like the goat, ia, ia Shub-Niggurath!

Oh, also, this week's Pokémon Smash is supposed to be revealing new info. They've been teasing Sylveon's type in some comedy sketches they've been doing, and while it's not really clear what they're actually revealing through said sketches (both due to the language barrier and due to Pokémon being frankly terrible and starring a celebrity known for her terrible grammar) and it's becoming gradually more likely that it's a new type.

Awesome thing: if we're interpreting things correctly, the new type seems to be weak to Poison (called it!)

Hilarious thing: ...and strong against Ice. Poor Ice never gets a break.

So I'm training an Eevee with its Dream World ability in Black 2 right now. The idea of an Espeon with Magic Bounce is almost too good.

Those Pokemon look really great. I wonder if this game will have lots of exploring!

Three Pokédexes!

Dgj4Yji.jpg

So maybe now there'll be three Geodude equivalents instead of just the one!

Also, I guess the Pokébeach guy had an anonymous source who accurately predicted all of the new monsters' types and English names, and also provided some interesting other tidbits. Again, grain of salt, especially since Mr. XY was a total fraud. But still!

• Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.
• Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).
• Mewtwo has two new formes, not just one. Both are activated via items.
• The professor's English name is Patrice.
• The Starter final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Dark.
• The first Gym is Bug, the second is Fairy, and the fourth is Fighting.
• A few attacks will be dual-typed.
• There will be a new type of battling style that Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can participate in.
• You will be able to see a Pokemon's EVs at a certain in-game facility. You will be able to boost the EVs through mini-games. It will take about two hours to get one stat to max EVs.

I'm not really following the game all that closely, but that goat looks awesome, and you even get to ride around on it.  Are these starters? Will there be other rideable ones?

I'm not really following the game all that closely, but that goat looks awesome, and you even get to ride around on it.  Are these starters? Will there be other rideable ones?

The new starters are these three:

K9JPADL.jpg

Gogoat is the only confirmed rideable, but I don't see why they wouldn't do others. I'd love it if I could ride around on my Arcanine ported over from Black 2.

The more I hear about X and Y, the more excited I am about them. I honestly haven't looked forward to a Pokemon game this much since... oh, Gold and Silver, I think.

I wonder how many Pokémon are ride-able? Can I enter town riding a majestic Magikarp? Does this mean we probably don't need the bike anymore?

The name Gogoat is all too reminiscent of Hanna-Barbera Transformers rip-off Gobots

crasher.jpg

So starting this Saturday, Pokémon Smash will be presenting X and Y info every week until the game comes out. It won't necessarily always be new info, but it's promising. Also, there's going to be an X and Y roundtable Q&A session with Junichi Masuda and Tsunekazu Ishihara at E3 on the eleventh, right after a Nintendo Direct (and thus presumably livestreamed maybe). Possible hot scoops coming soon!

I haven't been posting as much in this thread because I know you guys don't give a shit about Pokémon, but it's only three months away now and the new info recently has been pretty interesting.

Here's a recent trailer showcasing a few new features; like the new horde battles (where you can be jumped by five wild monsters at once) and sky battles (where only flying-types and Pokémon with Levitate can participate, which seems unbalanced to me), the new streamlined and improved online system, a few very brief glimpses of trainer customization, etc.

A short message from Junichi Masuda talking about the French influence of the game, then unveiling a wicked ghost sword which, not accounting for the new Fairy type, has eight resistances and three immunities with only two weaknesses (assuming its ability isn't Levitate, which would effectively remove a weakness and add an immunity). I hope its stats and movepool are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xqwYdOsbixI

dis gon' be a fun game

Oh, also, the Gen V dream world is shutting down in October so that they can immediately roll out the new Gen VI version, which is kind of butt but whatever. I'm glad they're continuing with the Pokémon Global Link stuff at any rate.