tegan

Pokémon X and Y

So there is a new Pokémon generation, in full 3D and with a simultaneous global release this October. A Nintendo handheld's just not a Nintendo handheld until there's a Pokémon game on it.

The biggest reveal is that Game Freak, as foretold in jokes, did indeed run out of colours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GUYzzY9BQrk

I also notice that the male protagonist's design is significantly less stupid than what I've come to expect.

I didn't really like Black/White much and skipped the sequels altogether, but I'll probably give this a go. Pokémon has always fascinated me. It's really the only game series out there that fits its specific niche; it appeals to little kids who want to play the most casual of casual RPGs, but if you crack it open it secretly contains a Starcraft. Something something onions and Koreans. I'm particularly excited at what looks like a more organic overworld, ad the style proposed by early Pokémon concept art is really what drew me into that world. Interesting times ahead!

I'm huge into Pokemon but didn't buy Black 2/White 2 day one because this continued DS development reeks of a holding pattern. So color me excited for X and Y despite all the kinda dumb stuff about it, because I really need to justify by ownership of a 3DS and a 100+ hour Pokemon playthrough should do that.

The started Pokemon are... well, they take some getting used to, to put it carefully. Here's the thing: I'm still very slowly playing through Pokemon Diamond. Up until now it has serviced my Pokemon needs pretty well, and unless X/Y brings something really unique and special, I fear Diamond will continue to do just fine.

I just found out "X and Y" are the actual titles of these games and not a joke name for the thread.

I've been on this site too long.

Oo... I made the same mistake. Really... Pokemon X and Pokemon Y will be the actual names!? Also, what's the dual releases?

I am cautiously optimistic about this? It too soon to say anything, but still... I like what I see.

I am intrigued by the fact that one of the montage settings looks suspiciously like Mars...

Also, I bet they're kicking themselves for not thinking of the X/Y title back when they first introduced gendered pokemon.

I just found out "X and Y" are the actual titles of these games and not a joke name for the thread.

I've been on this site too long.

The eventual third version will obviously be called Z to complete the exhausted 3D pun.

9xfsfF2.jpg

Corocoro magazine has revealed that Eevee is evolving again! Its Japanese name is Ninfia and its typing is currently unknown, though the overall design of it suggests Normal-type, which would be kind of enormous given the established pattern of Eevee evolutions (ie: that they're all Special-types that resist themselves), so some are speculating that this means a new type coming down the pipeline. Every generation has a rumour about a new type being introduced, of course, but this is beginning to look almost credible. Pokémon Gold and Silver introduced new types to rebalance the game by making Fighting-types useful, shutting down the previously practically invincible Psychic-type, making Toxic less of a sure thing, and making defensive strategies actually worthwhile. Given that we're starting to see certain types become less and less useful (eg: Poison, Bug) and seeing the metagame start to get dominated by certain overused strategies (eg: Stealth Rock), it wouldn't be entirely unlikely for Game Freak to attempt another massive overhaul by adding a new type. It would also follow the established pattern of forcing players to rethink their strategies every second generation, as with reorganizing Physical and Special moves in Gen IV.

More importantly, though, this probably means that we're once again going to be seeing lots of new evolutions of old favourites, which seems to be another every-two-generations thing. Although I really hope they don't finally go full-tilt and finally eliminate the last of the standalone Gen I Pokémon, I always like seeing the way new monsters legitimize classic ones. I hope Pinsir doesn't have to be second banana to Scyther anymore.

I'm like an expectant mother, folks. Expect nine more months of this.

9xfsfF2.jpg

Corocoro magazine has revealed that Eevee is evolving again! Its Japanese name is Ninfia and its typing is currently unknown, though the overall design of it suggests Normal-type, which would be kind of enormous given the established pattern of Eevee evolutions (ie: that they're all Special-types that resist themselves), so some are speculating that this means a new type coming down the pipeline. Every generation has a rumour about a new type being introduced, of course, but this is beginning to look almost credible. Pokémon Gold and Silver introduced new types to rebalance the game by making Fighting-types useful, shutting down the previously practically invincible Psychic-type, making Toxic less of a sure thing, and making defensive strategies actually worthwhile. Given that we're starting to see certain types become less and less useful (eg: Poison, Bug) and seeing the metagame start to get dominated by certain overused strategies (eg: Stealth Rock), it wouldn't be entirely unlikely for Game Freak to attempt another massive overhaul by adding a new type. It would also follow the established pattern of forcing players to rethink their strategies every second generation, as with reorganizing Physical and Special moves in Gen IV.

More importantly, though, this probably means that we're once again going to be seeing lots of new evolutions of old favourites, which seems to be another every-two-generations thing. Although I really hope they don't finally go full-tilt and finally eliminate the last of the standalone Gen I Pokémon, I always like seeing the way new monsters legitimize classic ones. I hope Pinsir doesn't have to be second banana to Scyther anymore.

I'm like an expectant mother, folks. Expect nine more months of this.

This level of speculation and analysis of Pokemon is... great. I'm going to expect nine more months of this, you'd better deliver.

Damn, Nintendo seems to be going all out in this game (I think that's the right expression), first they release the Pokédex on iOS and now Pokémon TV on iOS AND Android, It's so bizarre to have an official Nintendo app on a Droid. These are not actually games, but they will help by keeping Pokémon in the minds of kids and more "casual" fans.

I don't know why, but my cautious optimism is slowly becoming actual optimism. :|

This level of speculation and analysis of Pokemon is... great. I'm going to expect nine more months of this, you'd better deliver.

Let me tell you about Catch Rates.

pIF3A0z.png

So in all seriousness, there's two things that I'd like to bring up:

1) I'm still pondering Ninfia. I realized today that it also doesn't fit the naming conventions of Eeveelutions. Traditionally the Japanese names for the Eevee line are dumb, obvious English names (Showers, Thunders, Booster, Eifiel (some kind of pun on the words "ESPer and "feel" apparently), Blacky, Leafia, and Glacia). Ninfia doesn't really seem to indicate anything. Personally, although I'm still hoping for a new type, I'm willing to bet that it's just a Normal-type -with a twist. I think that Ninfia most closely resembles Milotic, a monster originally meant to be groomed for in-game beauty contests. Maybe contests will return, and possibly be interesting for once by making some of the more useless monsters into contest-destroyers?

2) The simultaneous global release is really going to change the way that I -and presumably others- step into this game. I'm used to going into a Pokémon game a few months after certain corners of the internet have already ripped and cataloged every resource in the game. Even if I don't try to figure out everything, I usually at least see what version-exclusives to look for. This time North America is going in completely blind. That's going to be fascinating.

(clearly the answer is to buy both versions and a strategy guide)

Damn, Nintendo seems to be going all out in this game (I think that's the right expression), first they release the Pokédex on iOS and now Pokémon TV on iOS AND Android, It's so bizarre to have an official Nintendo app on a Droid. These are not actually games, but they will help by keeping Pokémon in the minds of kids and more "casual" fans.

Pokémon gets to appear on all sorts of weird crap thanks to actually being co-owned by three different companies. For example, it's the only Nintendo series to ever appear on a Sega console, to my knowledge at least.

So its English name is "Sylveon" and they're deliberately listing its type as "???," which implies shenanigans. There's also

that shows it using Swift plus a couple of new attacks that don't really resemble existing attack types at all. Corocoro says more info will be coming next month.

2) The simultaneous global release is really going to change the way that I -and presumably others- step into this game. I'm used to going into a Pokémon game a few months after certain corners of the internet have already ripped and cataloged every resource in the game. Even if I don't try to figure out everything, I usually at least see what version-exclusives to look for. This time North America is going in completely blind. That's going to be fascinating.

(clearly the answer is to buy both versions and a strategy guide)

This is something that occurred to me as well. I'm really not quite sure how it'll affect the metagame, mostly because it's so easy to figure out many things (type, base stats, move list, etc) even without having it all spoiled by an earlier release in another region. It could significantly affect the first month or so of competitive play while people are still trying to figure out egg groups, breedable moves, and good areas for EV farming but after that it'll be back to the same old grindstone.

That said, it'll be far less tempting for me to spoil the game for myself by just looking up anything that I can't figure out right off the bat. Ever since Gold and Silver I've had this ability to cheat by looking on GameFAQs or the like and now that simply won't be available to me in those early days.

The timing of my rekindled thought about Pokemon seems to have been timed very well/poorly in that Pokemon Black/White 2 just went on sale at Best Buy for $15. Pile on top of that the fact that I had a $5 reward zone credit and I simply couldn't resist. I just now hope that I don't burn out all my Pokemon passion for this game instead of X/Y in six months or so.

The timing of my rekindled thought about Pokemon seems to have been timed very well/poorly in that Pokemon Black/White 2 just went on sale at Best Buy for $15. Pile on top of that the fact that I had a $5 reward zone credit and I simply couldn't resist. I just now hope that I don't burn out all my Pokemon passion for this game instead of X/Y in six months or so.

You too, huh?

I've been itching for more than my usual "LeafGreen/Emerald all day every day" fix, so I went to the mall today to see if I could maybe find a used copy of HeartGold and wound up walking out with Black 2 (though I paid full price for it, naturally). It is... much, much better than expected! I hated my time playing White, so I've been really pleasantly surprised. I had no idea that the regional dex had been adjusted, and had at least one monster from every generation by the time I got my first badge.

This is something that occurred to me as well. I'm really not quite sure how it'll affect the metagame, mostly because it's so easy to figure out many things (type, base stats, move list, etc) even without having it all spoiled by an earlier release in another region. It could significantly affect the first month or so of competitive play while people are still trying to figure out egg groups, breedable moves, and good areas for EV farming but after that it'll be back to the same old grindstone.

That said, it'll be far less tempting for me to spoil the game for myself by just looking up anything that I can't figure out right off the bat. Ever since Gold and Silver I've had this ability to cheat by looking on GameFAQs or the like and now that simply won't be available to me in those early days.

Man, people play Pokemon way differently than I do. I've never looked online for anything. I just wander and enjoy the game, training the ones that I let myself get invested in/attached to. Am I really that weird for still enjoying playing Pokemon the same way I did when I was 10?

Man, people play Pokemon way differently than I do. I've never looked online for anything. I just wander and enjoy the game, training the ones that I let myself get invested in/attached to. Am I really that weird for still enjoying playing Pokemon the same way I did when I was 10?

I don't think that's too weird, I just don't want to be surprised when the third evolution of a pokemon I've been training for hours looks ridiculous or doesn't get a good STAB like Flamethrower or Thunderbolt in the natural move list.

Side note as I'm rolling through White 2, I really wish they'd get rid of HM's from the game or at least make them a holdable item that lets my Starmie use waterfall in the game world without dedicating a move slot to it. I just hate having to put sub-par moves on my team or having my sixth slot taken up by a weird normal or water-type HM whore like Pelipper or Bibarel. Easily the worst mechanic to hang out in the series from the very beginning.

Side note as I'm rolling through White 2, I really wish they'd get rid of HM's from the game or at least make them a holdable item that lets my Starmie use waterfall in the game world without dedicating a move slot to it. I just hate having to put sub-par moves on my team or having my sixth slot taken up by a weird normal or water-type HM whore like Pelipper or Bibarel. Easily the worst mechanic to hang out in the series from the very beginning.

If Black and White 2 are anything like Black and White 1, you will literally never have to use HM moves. Black and White required that Cut be used exactly once, just to make sure you knew how HM moves worked, and then all other uses were optional and only used to uncover secrets. If I remember correctly, the effects of Strength were even permanent. After you dropped a boulder into a hole, it stayed there forever.

I've been trying to catch an Eevee for more than an hour now. I've only seen one and I nearly wiped out my team through accidental grinding.

EDIT: Speaking of grinding, Pokémon has an achievement system now and the prospect terrifies me.

If Black and White 2 are anything like Black and White 1, you will literally never have to use HM moves. Black and White required that Cut be used exactly once, just to make sure you knew how HM moves worked, and then all other uses were optional and only used to uncover secrets. If I remember correctly, the effects of Strength were even permanent. After you dropped a boulder into a hole, it stayed there forever.

I've been trying to catch an Eevee for more than an hour now. I've only seen one and I nearly wiped out my team through accidental grinding.

EDIT: Speaking of grinding, Pokémon has an achievement system now and the prospect terrifies me.

Yeah, as I continue on I'm noticing very few instances of necessary HMs. Though I feel like Surf is still quite necessary to always have around, which is not the worst as it's probably the most effective of the whole HM moveset.

One thing I'm really liking so far in BW2 is that they're actually utilizing the backlog of Pokemon that are available. Only a few hours in and I already have two of my favorite Pokemon in my party, or at least their predecessors - Growlithe and Elekid. I appreciated that in BW they focused on the new Pokemon, but this one is tapping into the nostalgia that also made stuff like SoulSilver quite enjoyable.

So someone on 4chan with the tripcode Mr. XY is claiming to be involved in X and Y. This is pure rumour at this point, but it seems awfully detailed for something that was made up. I guess we'll know when we have more definite information in March. This forum apparently won't let me quote anything this long, so here it is in plain text:

I'll spare you any long detailed explanation as to who I am, or what position I hold, only to say that this info will shock, anger, and perhaps relieve long-time fans of the series. You may view this as a rumor, or view this as the truth, but I promise you that in the following months you will all remember this post, fondly or not, when it becomes reality.

I can confirm Nintendo of America will be releasing a New Trailer showcasing a Baby Pinsir and a Baby Heracross around the middle of March, as well as featuring information on the new "Bond System" that Sylveon figures into. Look forward to that as proof of my legitimacy. 
Without further ado, here is a compiled list of some key features Game Freak is launching in Pokemon X and Y:

* Main Characters are named Jean and Jane in the localization, non-customizable. The Trainer now appears on the bottom screen during battle, with the visual interface resembling a "speech bubble" with the commands inside. 

* You now have a Trainer Level, effects how in-game characters react to you, and grants various Bonuses as it goes up such as increasing capture rate, and rarity of Pokemon you encounter. New In-Battle Key Item "Whistle" can be used once-per-battle, with different effects depending on the situation including waking up a Pokemon from sleep or confusion (without wasting a turn), or causing them to dodge an attack when their health is critical. 

* Every Pokemon has a Bond Level with you in addition to regular Levels. Most Level Up Evolutions now evolve based on their Bond with you, which goes up as you fight with them. Higher Bonds also increase the EXP. gain, as well as grant small stat bonuses. These bonuses can be turned off in player vs. player matches, as can the Whistle, for the benefit of competitive play.

--------------------------------------

* Sunglasses are called "Bond-EYE", allows you to view the Nature of a Wild Pokemon, and your "compatibility", which basically means the Capture rate of that species. Bond-EYE also allows you, while in-towns, to see visual avatars of other players akin to the Miiverse Function in Nintendo Land, and send them messages and battle/trade requests. Pokemon X and Y will be the first Miiverse-enabled 3DS game. 

* Local Wireless Co-Op is included, with one player being the leader, with the other player aiding in battle. All Wild and Trainer Battles transform into Double Format, as the players use three Pokemon each. In-game trainers are included to Co-Op with for those without any local players, residing within a new "Juice Bar" located in each town. 

* PokeDex is a tablet with a 3D display, resembling the Wii U controller. Can fully view the Pokemon model, read their Dex (now they're full paragraph descriptions), listen to their cry, view their location, and compare size and weight with any other Pokemon in the Dex. Can also activate a mode which shows comments about that species made by players around the world via the 3DS Miiverse. 

* There is a Bank where you can store excess money, receiving special gifts upon depositing a certain amount, and receive interest. Each Pokemon Center has an ATM allowing you to access your funds.

* Using a special wristwatch device, mirrors, and certain reflective surfaces, serve as portals allowing the player to travel 30 years into the past. The Past World has different characters, some younger versions of present characters, differences in layout, with buildings having yet to be built, and different wild Pokemon. Past World is sepia-toned, and closed-off, as different portals in the present take you to different Past World locations. Pokemon from the Past and Present can be used in any era, and all stored in the PC regardless of when you catch them. 

* Evil Team is named "Team Gear", with a clock-based motif, and their outfits are these funky purple bodysuits with black "clock hands" on them. Their Modus Operandi involves messing with stuff in the past that alters the present, and you must correct their actions. The player character also meets their father as a beginning trainer in the past, who is trying to stop Team Gear. Past Actions effect the present...in one part, you must catch a Munchlax in the past to clear the road of a Snorlax. 

* Professor is Professor Bristle, a very old-man who you meet in both eras, being ironically as old-looking in the past as he is in the present, and your Rival is named "Ricki", a part-time magazine writer who documents the weird events occurring in the past due to the time-travel mess ups of Team Gear. 

* There are 99 New Pokemon included. Large amount of New Baby Pokemon and New Evolutions. Only 6 Legendaries. Most of the brand-New Pokemon are new type-combinations, and less orthodox, as there is no new Rodent/Bird/Bug or the classic tropes, instead they are filled by old Pokemon.

>>11438709
Just visual effect. The first Pokemon sent out in every match by a trainer will do a little stomp pose that spread the field around them. You never see your Trainer on the top-screen, as he's always on the bottom, instead it's like Stadium where Pokeballs appear from off-screen and such. They may change it up and spruce it some by the time it comes out in October, though. 

>>11438782
They're planning to reveal all the Starter Evolutions pre-release this time around, so I've already learned quite a bit about them. 
Grass/Flying, Fire/Psychic, and Water. Chespin is based on a helicopter/samara fruit (think a mammalian Garchomp), Fennekin looks a lot like Ninetales, with "lotus-shaped" ear fluff and tail, and Froakie becomes a giant, horned toad with tons of cloudy-fluff covering his body. 

>>11438889
It's Pure Normal. It evolves through the Bond System. Umbreon and Espeon are receiving new items to evolve them like they did in XD since Happiness has been replaced with Bonding, while other Happiness Evolutions are now Bonding Level Evolutions.

>>11439314
No new types. As I mentioned, thought, most of the New Pokemon I've learned of appear to be new dual-typing, so they seem to be trying to fill in all the holes.

Xerneas is Psychic/Rock and Yveltal is Ghost/Flying. 

>>11439381
"Large amount of New Baby Pokemon and New Evolutions" when those are put together. There's about 10 Baby Pokemon, and around 20 Evolutions. And yes, Sylveon is the only new Eevee.

>>11439780
Yes. However, they're not focusing as much on the New Pokemon this time around since they introduced so many last Gen, instead focusing on new gameplay elements. It's up to you, though, as to which you prefer for them to put resources into.

I've seen a good amount of the Pokemon, although how much I know about them varies depending on when they're going to be showcased (some I know simply their design and typing, others I've only heard general descriptions and have yet to see), and, well, I can say this Gen will probably get a lot of mixed reactions.

>>11439838
Nope. And no Walking Feature has been implemented yet, and doesn't seem to be planned.. The Status Screen lets you "pet" them, which has their model perform different animations they have, and also the Bond System displays a little message about how the Pokemon feels towards you.

>>11439881
There doesn't seem to be any. Just Xerneas and Yveltal. At this point."Non-Cartridge" DLC Pokemon is a possibility thanks to the added power of the 3DS, so it may come later. 

The other 4 Legendaries are a quartet, they're white and black animals, with the black parts resembling card suits. A large cobra with a heart-shaped hood and tail, a tiger with diamond patterns, a t-rex dinosaur with spade-shaped spikes, and a peacock with a club-shaped tail. Not sure about their typings.

>>11439918
Basic. Bonding is mainly done through methods akin to Happiness, raising as you play normally, so you don't necessarily need to go out of your way to do it. Petting doesn't actually raise the Bond. 

>>11439906
Okay. I've seen atleast one evolution per Gen.
Pinsir. Has four-arms, four horns. It can remove its horns and hold them like swords it appears. Pure-Bug.
Flaaffy Split-Evolution. Quadrupedal ram with tesla-coil horns. Pure-Electric.
Hariyama Evolution. Mountain-colored (green bottom, brown top), with white hair and beard resembling clouds. Pure-Fighting.
Lumineon Evolution. Fins resemble figure-eights, like the infinity symbol, and it's got neon-red lines running on the edges of its body. Pure-Water. 
Darumaka Split-Evolution. Turns into a snowman-looking ape, with little orange spots running down its chest, and its eyebrows are duller flames. Fire/Ice.

>>11440010
I believe they're referencing the Saint Beasts of Asian Lore, yet taking liberties. Bird, Dragon, Reptile, and Tiger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. XY
>>11439905
Not sure if it's exactly considered a Pikachu, but one of the Pokemon is Electric/Steel, and resembles a metallic mouse, with a "computer mouse plug" tail. I don't see anything else that comes close to Pikachu, so that's probably it. 

>>11440005
The last three Pokemon before the Legendaries are Dark/Electric. They seem to be based on "star life cycles", as the first one is little and star-shaped, the second one is huge and spherical, and the final one is more humanoid with vortex shapes on its body. They look powerful, so I'd guess they fulfill the BST layout, but I'm not sure of any base stats. 

>>11440143
No Heracross evolution from what I can see, Pinsir is the only Pokemon I've seen this time around who gets both an evolution and pre-evolution. And no Camerupt Evolution, as far as I can tell.

>>11440206
Well, Pinsir is one I consider long-time fans wanting. And there is a Farfetch'd evolution, but it's pretty disappointing. Farfetch'd doesn't evolve, the LEEK itself grows into a cool sword-leek with a little (\___/) face on the end. Honestly I'm still wondering if the LEEK is a new Pokemon and it's a Mantine-Remoraid situation where Farfetch'ds model incorporates it or what. And then there's odd choices, like Sawk and Throh both seem to get one that look like Fist of the North Star rejects.

>>11441582
Normal/Flying still, I believe. (re: Farfetch'd evo)

Last one before bed.

Region is very large, probably the largest thanks to the 3DS extra space, and is indeed based on France, with some of the Scandinavia peninsula located at the top of the map. I'd say the game is decently "open", but there's a solid order of Gyms, but enough side areas that you're not being pushed forward. The most striking thing about the Region from looking at the map is all the rivers flowing through the Region, but don't fret, there's not a lot of required Surfing. Speaking of which, HMs are still in, but none are required to get through the main campaign.

The Past-Era of the Region is broken up...you access different parts of it through the corresponding Present portal, and have smaller, cordoned-off areas to explore.

Man, that all sounds awesome to me. Real value in keeping that little guy you've had on the team since getting him in the second hour as opposed to catching a higher level dude and replacing him.

I'm going to be disappointed if that bond level stuff isn't true.

I kind of really don't like the bonding thing, honestly. Managing Pokémon Happiness is already kind of butt and this new system is just giving me Colosseum flashbacks.

So I've passed the 100-hour mark in Black 2 and I'm raising my team up to 60 before I take on the Elite Four. I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed this game! Even the dumb Dream World minigames at least have a great payoff. I guess all that Black and White needed to make me love them were the rose-tinted glasses of Gen I and II monsters. I just wish I had more adequate type coverage for my team, though. I'm not really prepared for a series of fights based on Fighting, Psychic, Dark and Ghost monsters. I should probably swap out my Leavanny for something more durable.

Also, I'm going to the logical extreme of the self-imposed "catch everything with a Poké Ball" challenge I've been doing for the last few games. I caught the Musketeer trio in Premier Balls. I'm thinking I'll try to catch the version mascots in Luxury Balls.

Also, JonCole, I can confirm now that Strength and Surf are both required to finish the main campaign. Strength isn't required at all until the eleventh hour, where it's needed almost constantly. That's kind of odd.