Henroid

The Business Side of Video (Space) Games EXCLUSIVELY ON IDLE THUMBS

The Wii U Zelda title has been delayed. Nobody is really surprised I think but I do think it's gonna have an impact on Wii U sales performance.

I feel like this is gonna bury the Wii U. I love it and I'll enjoy the games that are out for it, but the damn thing is practically dead in the water.

No worries, it'll come out in five years as a double-release for Wee Woo and whatever the NX is!

Today is the day Playstation Home closes down. I bring you this tweet from the internet:

"Playstation Home died as it lived, in beta."

Today is the day Playstation Home closes down. I bring you this tweet from the internet:

"Playstation Home died as it lived, in beta."

GB's coverage was pretty incredible. I was aware that Home pulled in boatloads of money, but I wasn't aware that was mostly from marketers filling it with stuff like "Clearasil Kart Racing" or the ability to dress your avatar as the Uncharted 3 promotional Subway cup.

In keeping with the way of "rebooting" series using the name of the original product (á la Thief or Tomb Raider) Nintendo should just call their upcoming new console the NES.

Just drop the end and call it the Nintendo. That's what people call it anyway, right?

C'mon guys, it's Nintendo. They can do better than that.  They'll just call it the:

Wii Nu

Sad, but probably inevitable - I played through Deus Ex:Human Revolution using the Onlive service on my PC (I also had the microconsole, but found that actually performance was significantly better on my PC - the whole hardware play actually felt like an unecessary risk, and one e.g. Gaikai didn't take) and it was actually OK, and the subscrption service that gave you access to lots of old and indie games, and the ability to play any game on the OnLive market for 30 minutes, was actually pretty great - obviously, it was also financially unsustainable and technically overdemanding.

The other interesting thing there is that Sony has at this point bought the tech of the two most notable independent games streaming services. Gaikai became the architectural underpinning of PlayStation Now. Is there a roadmap for OnLive, or is Sony just taking it off the board?

I imagine it's probably the technologies and patents that they're interested in most, the company is completely shutting down with no note about any staff carrying over or anything. I'd guess they'll just swap in whatever OnLive tech they can to make the Gaikai underpinnings that much better. It's definitely a market that demands even the smallest tech improvements to reduce the latency, increase the quality and promote stability even the slightest bit. That said, I don't know how much I'd characterize this as taking them off the board as they were kinda taken off the board when they had their bankruptcy a few years ago and they've been treading water since.

Oh, yeah - I mean taking the patents off the board. Sony is just buying the patents, not the company. The company is going to shrink down to a small team of administrators working with third parties to supervise the sale of any other sellable assets, and then shut down.

Remember how Zynga had a lot of people, including its founding CEO, bail on it as it started to sink? And how Don Mattrick left Microsoft because he felt he could bring Zynga up?

Well Don just resigned as CEO and Mark Pincus, the original founder, has returned. Via Reuters.

Remember how Zynga had a lot of people, including its founding CEO, bail on it as it started to sink? And how Don Mattrick left Microsoft because he felt he could bring Zynga up?

Well Don just resigned as CEO and Mark Pincus, the original founder, has returned. Via Reuters.

I just Googled both of them and lol they both look so much alike (to me)! kekeke

Reading the article, this can't be right, right?

The company said he (Pincus) has requested an annual salary of $1 as CEO.

This is not uncommon for CEO, in this case they're typically paid in stock options.

Yeah, Steve Jobs had an annual salary of $1, and that guy obviously wasn't hurting for cash. It's more or less a way to make yourself look more gracious than you actually are. 

Yeah, it's just a dumb gimmicky thing that American CEOs sometimes do.