Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Splitter cell blacklist, I had taken a weeks hiatus from it and just turned it on today and I really can't be fucked. I'm just not interested enough to give the game the patients it requires, I could turn it back down to normal and just murder everyone to get through it, but there are hundreds of other better murder simulators on store shelfs, and to be perfectly honest i'm all murdered out.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm this close to quitting Asssassin's Creed 3, I just got if for free with PSN + and... It's just showing why I'm starting to loath modern AAA games, I don't know how long I've played, but it's the "5-10 hour tutorial" part and it's just remembering all the padding these games have...

The eavesdropping missions, the stupid collectibles (which you know CHASE) and I'm thinking... why do I play this series? What's the part I actually enjoy?

The free running and exploration? Not with guards on every roof top....

The stealth aspect? You're kidding right? You can't really play this game stealthily unless the plot demands it.

It seems so strange I having trouble enjoying this version when I enjoyed the Vita one so much, but that one was trying to be a bit different.

I don't think I'm reached that far in the game, the moment I reach Boston, I meet Benjamin Franklin and he's yelling "I'M THE COLLECTIBLE GUY!", or at least that's what I hear, I've done a few missions and saved some guy from a warehouse...

I'm pretty sure I'm so early in the game, I'm not even playing as the real main protagonist yet, but... The game feels so padded, I don't know if should just stop now and or just wait until I reach another annoying and unnecessary mission, only added to make the game longer...

You've got at least another 5 hours of tutorial left to go, seriously quit that shit! Play Mafia 2 from last month if you haven't yet, that game was great

5 hours.... Yikes! I could read a whole novel, or beat a "sensible" game, or so many other things... 

I think I played Mafia 2 to it's completion, it's setting and character where great! I love 50's America!

Yeah, Mafia 2 was awesome.

Steam says I've put 14 hours into ACIII. The game has finally started to become a game, but I started it back in April and have been playing only a bit at a time here and there. I just opened up the naval combat stuff and the story is actually starting to be at least a little bit interesting, but it took forever to start getting good. If you're at 5 hours and not feeling it, quitting may be the way to go. It does get good, and I quite like what it's becoming now, but holy shit did it take a long time.

I kind of want to quit Pikmin 3. I'm at the last boss and I'm not having fun.

You have to navigate an unfamiliar environment while having your Pikmin carry Olimar away from a big gold blob. If the blob catches up to Olimar, it kills the Pikmin carrying him and starts dragging him back in the opposite direction, so you have to chase it down and fight it until it's stunned, then run back the other way, and repeat the process. All the while you also have to break down walls, build bridges, and fight other enemies, and you also still have the daily time limit to worry about. It seems like it's supposed to encourage you to split up your forces and use one captain to distract the blob while you use the others to try to clear a path forward, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it, and I don't know that it would be all that satisfying even if I did.

So maybe I'll just ignore that level and go back and find more fruit and stuff, or maybe I'm just done.

A games got to be pretty astounding or succinct for me to actually finish generally. I think with most games if I get 75% of the way through then I'd consider it a success. Some games though I just lose the motivation. A standout game that just didn't do it for me was Bioshock. The concept was great and all, but the implementation just didn't grab me. For all the artistic stylings I just wasn't sold on the environments because the spaces felt like game levels not what they were purporting to be in the narrative. The fact that pretty much everything in the world was also engineered to assist you didn't help much either. From the health stations through to ammo vending machines etc. I didn't have a problem so much with the conceit in SS2 because it was nanites being converted into tools etc, but the idea just didn't translate that well to Rapture for me personally. 

The Witcher 2. I don't really know why in truth. Completely loved the first game, but found my motivation dried up once I got past Flotsam and I entered the next area. I think it might of been down to some degree of exhaustion at the combat, coupled with too much detachment from the political aspects of the storyline (it's hard to care about wars when you've no sense as to whose who). I think a lot of those issues may have been addressed in the enhanced edition update, but it's been so long since I played it that I know I'm probably best playing through the game from the beginning again and the appeal just isn't there. I think when TW3 is near release I'll probably find my mojo. 

I've just given up on Red Dead Redemption. I thought it was going to be pretty fun exploring the wild west in an open world environment and there are some neat things about the game, but I'm not engaged at all in the story because I don't care about the protagonist.

A Link to the Past. I don't feel good about it but I wasn't enjoying myself, I got to about the second last I think of the seven dungeons and it warned me not to go any further without green potion and I said OK and turned off the Wii. Didn't like the overworld design, found exploring much less enjoyable than Awakening and really struggled in some bits - there are parts I found more difficult and frustrating than Demon's Souls, wouldn't even played as far as I did without serious abuse of save states.

I know it's probably my fault for going in with high expectations right after finishing Link's Awakening, should've taken a break, but I found the whole thing pretty disappointing.

A Link to the Past.

I'm currently playing this on my recently-rediscovered SNES!

I now realize that A Link to the Past introduced the "optional sidequest that isn't really optional" quirk to the Zelda series.  Link's Awakening did that, too, with its fetch quest, but I'm deep into the Dark World and have yet to upgrade from the green tunic.  I am losing three hearts in one hit!

I also quit Saints Row 3. The open world is really bland and the shooting totally sucks and all the activities are lame and make no sense. Plus the writing was way too embarrassing so I had to turn the dialogue off. 

Yep I did this. I was hyped to the gills by the guys at Giant Bomb, and it turns out I may have been overhyped, because their enthusiasm in enjoying it is way more of a thrill than my playing it. I played the mission where you jump out of a plane to Kanye and the part where you're jumping is cool. The part where you have to 3rd Person Shoot like 45 thugs is not cool, it's boring. Maybe Deckers.Die is the best story mission ever created, but I'll never get there.

I know this is a month too late, but it's sort of funny to read that people "quit" Battlefield 3. I guess technically I "quit" too because I never finished the single player? I played hundreds of hours of multiplayer, so I guess quitting doesn't really fit. Even with touting the sucky single player, BF is still a multiplayer game and I feel should be approached that way.

A Link to the Past. I don't feel good about it but I wasn't enjoying myself, I got to about the second last I think of the seven dungeons and it warned me not to go any further without green potion and I said OK and turned off the Wii. Didn't like the overworld design, found exploring much less enjoyable than Awakening and really struggled in some bits - there are parts I found more difficult and frustrating than Demon's Souls, wouldn't even played as far as I did without serious abuse of save states.

I know it's probably my fault for going in with high expectations right after finishing Link's Awakening, should've taken a break, but I found the whole thing pretty disappointing.

That is really surprising to hear, what parts of the game did you so difficult?

You were abusing the save state system and you still find LttP too difficult and frustrating? MORE than Demon's Souls? Yeah, you really gotta explain yourself if you bring up the Demon's Souls card.

Were you using a guide? With bottled fairies and the other tools in the games, I just don't see how this game can even come close to Demon's Souls.

I dunno what to say then. I found it fairly punishing in how much damage certain enemies dish out, and very frustrating at times in that there are some which can be unavoidable - ones with randomised movement which you can literally not avoid sometimes depending on where they are when you enter a room, a big hand that repeatedly falls from the ceiling in one dungeon that can grab you and throw you back to the start even when Link is taking an item out of a chest and cannot be controlled. I'm also just really bad at the fundamentals of combat in this game generally, finding it hard to judge my effective distances and movement which accounts for a lot of my frustrations - I can see what I need to do but I just can't make my hands do it. These hands served me admirably in Ikaruga and the From games so they can definitely do things but they don't get on with this. And Link's Awakening wasn't that hard either, I was surprised how difficult I found this myself.

I feel like there's a card I should be turning in.

Nah, we're failing to make this thread a place of acceptance and support for someone's choice to quit a video game. Life's too short to eat your brussel sprouts.

EDIT: And to contribute to this thread myself, I'm already thinking of quitting Total War: Rome II. Quite frankly, this game is an embarrassment from a company that's been making more or less the same damn game for fifteen years. Some changes -- the systems for provinces, factions, and the limited armies/navies -- are actually pretty clever, but they're stuck in a game that has so many basic discoverability and usability failures that make it seem like a normal person didn't get a say on how it was being made after the first design meeting.

For example, generals have three stats: Authority, Zeal, and Cunning. Good luck finding which does what! The stats themselves are only displayed in one spot, despite a half-dozen other menus involving your generals, and even there the associated tooltip is a master class in vagueness. "Helps with influence and morale. Protects against authority-based intrigue." Brain farts like these are pretty much everywhere. Generals gain Gravitas over time, which somehow affects their Influence and leads to them turning traitor, but I don't know how, because the tooltips just gives the Dictionary.com definition of "gravitas" and "influence." Thanks, Creative Assembly. I know what "gravitas" is. I have a passion for Roman history and culture, that's why I bought your game. What else? Certain settlements can only build certain buildings, don't know why. I guess I shouldn't expect them to just tell me, not when something like the public order/happiness breakdown is hidden three clicks away from the main campaign map. I think I finally understand how to build up settlements the way I want, but only after wasting twenty or thirty thousand gold building stuff I didn't want because the building browser has been hidden away in that awful "Total War Encyclopedia" that Creative Assembly introduced in Shogun 2 and refuses to drop. And yet I'm still outproducing all the other AI factions, who focus their economy on pumping out one- or two-regiment stacks to wander the map despite being limited to a half-dozen stacks this time around.

I mean, it's a good time like every Total War game. The battles look great, although the UI is way too busy and there are still some ugly surprises. The campaign map is even more beautiful, and consistently so, as long as you're just clicking stuff around to watch it go. But I've played every single Total War game and I've never felt as lost or as put off as with Rome II. I hate to say it, but it actually compares unfavorably to Europa Universalis IV in terms of ease-of-use. At least with the latter, I can hover my cursor over whatever I don't understand and I'll get a tooltip telling me exactly what it does. I doubt they'll fix something basic like the UI in patches, but I still think I'm going to leave it be for a month or so, just in case.

Nah, we're failing to make this thread a place of acceptance and support for someone's choice to quit a video game. Life's too short to eat your brussel sprouts.

Trying to understand why somebody feels like they need to quit a game is, to me at least, the most interesting part of the conversation. I don't feel like it's something that should be avoided. I'm always curious to know what experience led a person to dropping a game.

I certainly don't mean to make anybody feel like they need to trade in their "gamer card" or something.

Yeah, the reason I created this thread is to understand and accept why people quit a game, I think it's incredibly unhealthy to quit a game unless you actually understand why you are doing it.

I myself will continue to play a game I don't like until I can pinpoint the reason I don't like it because, if you can't express or understand why you don't like a game, you're likely to make the same mistake again.

Yeah, the reason I created this thread is to understand and accept why people quit a game, I think it's incredibly unhealthy to quit a game unless you actually understand why you are doing it.

I myself will continue to play a game I don't like until I can pinpoint the reason I don't like it because, if you can't express or understand why you don't like a game, you're likely to make the same mistake again.

I totally get that and I'm behind it. I just think it's residual guilt from us forcing SgtWhistlebotom to play more Harvest Moon a couple months back.

I'm way more prone to keep playing a bad game because I want to believe in its goodness than to quit a good game because I can't find anything to like, so that's always my biggest worry here.

NO! Gaming is an endless credibility test who's rigor must be constantly reinforced. 

Must... protect... the... core...

I'm way more prone to keep playing a bad game because I want to believe in its goodness 

This is me with everything, it's a curse. It took a very good friend some time to talk me out of persevering with whatever the second Game of Thrones book is when I was halfway through, not liking it at all and fully aware there were thousands of pages of the series to follow. 

And I nearly booted up Link to the Past again last night since I know I must be less than five hours away from the end and part of me would like to say I'd done it but that's free time I could put into having guaranteed fun with Rayman Legends which I'm thoroughly enjoying instead so I eventually convinced myself to do that. 

The only games I haven't finished in the last 10 years or so were some Wii games. I think Trauma Center, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Mario Galaxy, and New Super Mario Bros. I really should finish those Mario games. They were fun but for some reason I got sidetracked with other games.

Other than that I always finish every game I start. I think it all started with Cyborg Justice on Sega Genesis. Ever since beating that game as a kid I figured anything was possible.

Must... protect... the... core...

But ever fibre of my gamer body is telling me to shoot the core!!!

Clearly my body is not ready (see what I did there)

I'll stop now

151252-i_4442.jpg