nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

well since there is only one episode that MATTERS you could really just pretend there are only a few before the last one anyway and it'd all be the same

pick em at random see what happens

Saga is great, you should definitely get it!

I picked up all the non-Buffy/Angel Whedon stuff - so, Serenity, Dollhouse and Dr Horrible.

There's a Dr. Horrible comic? Is it... bad?

I was not aware of it either until this sale, and have not read it yet! I've been too busy watching Dollhouse and reading through the Chew volumes that N111!!!njaSquirrel lent me (and which are excellent!).

Ooh, I read a few issues of Chew and always meant to go back to it. It seemed fun.

I picked up the trade of The Wicked and The Divine recently, it's gorgeous.

I always wait for trades now; singles take up loads of room and look ugly on shelves. I think the only things I've kept in that form are King City and The Tick, and I'm kind of scared to go back and read The Tick. I found it hilarious as a teenager, and wonder if it'd hold up now.

Yeah Wicked + Divine really is gorgeous, Jamie Mckelvie is so good. If you like it and you didn't read Phonogram, which is their older series which is very much in the same vein (I just think of W+D as Phonogram 3).

Btw,just a heads up that the next issue of Private Eye went up yesterday, and Panel Syndicate put up the first issue of a new series by Albert Monteys who's a Spanish comic creator Marcos Martin invited to do something for them.

Btw,just a heads up that the next issue of Private Eye went up yesterday, and Panel Syndicate put up the first issue of a new series by Albert Monteys who's a Spanish comic creator Marcos Martin invited to do something for them.

Read it, can't wait for the finale! Also really enjoyed the first "Universe" by Monteys.

There's a new Image bundle on Humble, which would be enormously exciting if I hadn't bought a lot of the series on this bundle fairly recently. Still there are quite a few things there that I don't have, could any of you recommend some of the lesser known series on it? (Basically the ones that didn't appear on the end of year "best comic" lists.)

Yeah Wicked + Divine really is gorgeous, Jamie Mckelvie is so good. If you like it and you didn't read Phonogram, which is their older series which is very much in the same vein (I just think of W+D as Phonogram 3).

There's no need for that. The real Phonogram 3 is coming out in August.

There's a new Image bundle on Humble, which would be enormously exciting if I hadn't bought a lot of the series on this bundle fairly recently. Still there are quite a few things there that I don't have, could any of you recommend some of the lesser known series on it? (Basically the ones that didn't appear on the end of year "best comic" lists.)

The ones that I've read and can comment on:

Deadly Class: so the premise is that the main character is a homeless kid who joins a secret highschool for assassins, but that's kind of just a backdrop and it's actually a teen drama. It's got a lot of angst and Rick Remender has said that a lot of the things that happen are based on his life in the 80's as a kid in a bad part of Phoenix. I really like it and actually need to pick up #10 that just came out.

Minimum Wage

Slice of life comic about a comic artist living in New York. If you've read Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson it's right up that alley.

God Hates Astronauts

Super funny and super surreal. I don't really know how to describe it, I'd say just look at pages from it on Google and that'll tell you everything you need to know.

Satellite Sam

Murder mystery at a TV studio in the 50's. It's one of the few things Matt Fraction has written that I really like and it has art by Howard Chaykin so it's very much in the Black Kiss vein at times (as can be seen by the covers). Image sells it as "Sex-Death-Live TV-New York City, 1951" and I think that's a good description. Knowing about live tv definitely makes this more enjoyable.

The Manhattan Projects

Jonathan Hickman high concept sci-fi (redundant) about an alternate history around the end of WWII where the Manhattan Project is actually a bunch of much bigger things than the atomic bomb. It's pretty funny at times and all around interesting. I dropped off of Hickman's East of West after a while because I didn't see where it was going and was having a hard time following it, but this I've stuck with.

Velvet

It's by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting who did the run on Captain America that The Winter Soldier was based on. It's an espionage story with the main character being a woman who used to be a top field agent but is now older and has been working a desk job for a long time. Really good.

The Fade Out

Another by Ed Brubaker, period mystery/crime dramas are definitely his forte and this just started but it looking to be just as good as his other stuff with Sean Phillips (Criminal, Fatale, Incognito, ect.) it's a murder mystery in 1920's Hollywood. One thing to note about Brubaker is he always has really good essays and other stuff in the back matter of his issues.

I don't know what's going to get added but if they add Lazarus I'd also recommend that.

Thank you for that post TheLastBaron, that's very helpful. Judging by your recommendations the bundle does seem worth it, but I might wait to see what else they add before I plump for it.

So the Image Bundle had stuff added and I'm going to post some thoughts.

Number one is that the first arc of Southern Bastards was added. This was far and away my favorite thing I read all year and while it's only 6 issues in it's my favorite series that is currently ongoing. It's the only book that I actually care about picking up ASAP the Wednesday it comes out every time. It's a story in the south about an old man returning to his small home town in the south after being away for a long time and seeing how it's changed (and not changed). It's got some Gran Torino type moments at times and for me it is to the South what Essex County was to rural Canada. There's also great essays at the end of each issue where the creators talk about what the series means to them as they're all from the south (Jason Aaron is from Alabama which is where this story takes place and Jason Latour is from the Carolinas).

You can currently get the first issue for free today and see if you think it's your type of thing, the first issue gives you the complete feel for what it is you're jumping in to.

The other series that I have strong feelings about is Stray Bullets which they have the first 7 issues of the original run. This series is something that probably won't appeal to most people, it's super dark and violent and nihilistic, it's basically bad things happening to normal people and just watching them. In that regard I guess it's like A History of Violence. I personally love the series and while it's not something I can read a lot of at once I was super excited to see it start up again at Image last year (the new run/volume is subtitled Stray Bullets: Killers). I wouldn't recommend picking up the bundle for this series in particular unless this sounds like something you'd really like. The first issue I believe is available for free on Comixology and that issue in particular gives a very clear depiction of what the series is about.

I haven't read the other series', but I've heard good things about both Nailbiter and Wytches, I just personally am not into horror. I do love Scott Snyder though and Jock is fantastic so I might end up checking out Wytches later on in the run.

Thank you again for your additional comments TheLastBaron, I've read the first two chapters of Southern Bastards and it's shaping up very nicely, I'm eager to get to the apparent mindfuck of a twist at the end of chapter 4. The bundle definitely seems worth it at this point, I'm actually fairly new to Anglo-American comics but I'm really appreciating the breadth and depth of Image's range of titles and this seems like a good selection even taking into account the stuff I already have.

Btw, I've got a copy of the Adrian Tomine book and I can thoroughly recommend it (though I guess you've bought it now so it's not like I can influence your purchasing decision!) Have you read any of his narrative comics? I also had my eye on the Rutu Modan book for a while, but I think it kinda slipped from my attention, so thank you for reminding me of its existence!

Yeah I've read all the issues of Optic Nerve, which I love but would also compare to Stray Bullets in that it probably won't appeal to everyone as it's super nihilistic and depressing a lot of the time. He's definitely really good at capturing very small and specific moments in a way that's incredibly personal.

So the new Star Wars comic is out and issue #1 is actually great. It's Jason Aaron and John Cassaday which is an all star team, but I still didn't know how it was going to end up, but I loved the issue. It's classic Star Wars, it's set between the first movie and the second movie (that is it's set after A New Hope) and the tone is spot on. It's funny, it's exciting, and it's interesting. I would call it a fun romp.

8Y4Lssw.jpg

Got some new stuff. I guess not actually new since I've already read everything here, but I wanted the Jacques Tardi box set and I needed to replace my copies of Wednesday Comics which were the original newsprint ones. The Nobody I just threw in because it was eight bucks and I lent my original copy to someone and don't remember who.

Just read the second issue of Bitch Planet. It is so good! I love this book, especially all the ancillary stuff like the essays at the back and the ads on the back cover. Between this and The Wicked + The Divine, I am so happy with comics right now.

Finished Joe Sacco's Safe Area Goražde. Gross and depressing on macro level, and both and distressing and beautiful on micro level. Excellent book, but it might be a bit too much for some.

By the way, the Special Edition harcover is absolutely gorgeous!

Just read the second issue of Bitch Planet. It is so good! I love this book, especially all the ancillary stuff like the essays at the back and the ads on the back cover. Between this and The Wicked + The Divine, I am so happy with comics right now.

KSD & Matt Fraction truly are a force to be reckoned with & I adore them. I wonder how much is affection for them as people. Before Matt abandoned twitter he was by far the coolest person to follow me.

I'm not super into comics, but my boyfriend got super into them in 2013 (and still is.) I read Bravest Warriors in floppies when Joey Comeau was writing it, but it kind of fell off in quality after he left & the Kate Leth run hasn't thrilled me. I was super into the Ryan North Adventure Time as well because I love webcomic writers/artists. I haven't tried the new team yet. Also our LCS doesn't seem to want to carry Boom books. My bf even tried to add Bravest Warriors to his pull list for me and they just never ordered it.

Ryan North's Midas Flesh is a really great sci fi mini series. Otherwise Sex Criminals & The Wicked + The Divine are the only ongoing books for grown ups that I read. Mostly I just love the variety of stuff that Boom & Image puts out.

Finished Joe Sacco's Safe Area Goražde. Gross and depressing on macro level, and both and distressing and beautiful on micro level. Excellent book, but it might be a bit too much for some.

By the way, the Special Edition harcover is absolutely gorgeous!

I actually just started it yesterday. I've only read the frontmatter with the photos and essay about the process of making it.