nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

KSD & Matt Fraction truly are a force to be reckoned with & I adore them. I wonder how much is affection for them as people. Before Matt abandoned twitter he was by far the coolest person to follow me.

I'm not super into comics, but my boyfriend got super into them in 2013 (and still is.) I read Bravest Warriors in floppies when Joey Comeau was writing it, but it kind of fell off in quality after he left & the Kate Leth run hasn't thrilled me. I was super into the Ryan North Adventure Time as well because I love webcomic writers/artists. I haven't tried the new team yet. Also our LCS doesn't seem to want to carry Boom books. My bf even tried to add Bravest Warriors to his pull list for me and they just never ordered it.

Ryan North's Midas Flesh is a really great sci fi mini series. Otherwise Sex Criminals & The Wicked + The Divine are the only ongoing books for grown ups that I read. Mostly I just love the variety of stuff that Boom & Image puts out.

You should really check out Bitch Planet, it's great. Also, since you're into Boom!, have you checked out Lumberjanes? It's the third book I follow and I like it a lot, although I'm kind of disappointed that Brooke Allen isn't on it anymore because I love her art.

I read issue 1 of lumberjanes because it should be exactly what I like but it just didn't click for me. My bf is reading Bitch Planet so I may grab his copies and catch up.

I've been almost totally out on comics lately, but since I'm seeing nothing about the one thing I'm actually still reading, man, is Multiversity ever a really fun and interesting read.  That Watchmen issue is gorgeous.

I mentioned this in the manga thread but fellow EU/non-US members who use comixology and want to not pay EU prices (or VAT thanks to VATMOSS).

Buy a gift card through a US comics retailer who have an affiliate program with comixology like this and send it yourself.

If you buy something with the gift card money and have a EU address you will be charged for VAT at checkout.

Buy the gift card with your credit card (or amazon payments)  with your actual address (you don't pay VAT on this) . Before you buy the  actual comics switch your primary payment method to paypal and edit the address for that to a US. Enjoy (till this loop hole gets closed).

The above swtiching of payment methods could work in reverse as long as you aren't changing the payment method you should be ok.

Just used to buy the Love and Rockets collection and Harley Quinn vol 1 which are currently 66% and 70% off.

I just started reading Scott McCloud the Sculptor. Just read up to the point where he makes his deal so not much to say yet beyond both dust jacket and actual cover and the comics itself look great.

So scribd have added a bunch of comics to their service which is I guess just a subscription service for ebooks and such (I haven't used it before). You can get a free 1-month trial meaning essentially you can read a bunch of stuff for free. They have a pretty decent selection of stuff, no DC or Image, but there's a fair amount of Marvel books and then a lot by other people like IDW, Boom, Top Shelf, ect. I actually feel kind of bad because I was planning on buying Second Thoughts by Niklas Asker already and now I don't have to.

https://www.scribd.com/

I've been a few days on Scribd and I'm...lukewarm about it? I feel like I might be able to read all the content that's worth in the free trial month and I'm not sure how much new content it will get? So far I've managed to read a lot Captain Marvel with is pretty good.

Just picked up first The Wicked & The Divine and Sex Criminals. Read SC before and loved it but WicDiv is new for me and it turns out I love it too.

Comics are so dang good these days.

Anyone read KSD's Pretty Deadly? I keep meaning to check out her work but haven't found a good, non-superhero way in yet

Just picked up first The Wicked & The Divine and Sex Criminals. Read SC before and loved it but WicDiv is new for me and it turns out I love it too.

Comics are so dang good these days.

Anyone read KSD's Pretty Deadly? I keep meaning to check out her work but haven't found a good, non-superhero way in yet

Jennegatron sent me here to weigh in.  I personally love the shit out of Pretty Deadly.  IMO, it is one of the best looking comic books on the market and it does a lot of interesting things with page structure and story-telling that you don't get anaywhere else.  However, there is a reason a lot of books don't do what Pretty Deadly does.  It is challenges the reader.  Unlike KSD's superhero work, it doesn't hand hold at all.  So I've read online that some people became frustrated.  If you're used to popcorn comics it's probably pretty hard to crack, but I don't think it is all that difficult if you read carefully.  The main thing to know about Pretty Deadly is that it is a folk story (told between a butterfly and a raddit skeleton).  If the story tells you that death did something and a crow did something else.  That isn't metaphor that is just what happened.  A literall crow or crow-human did something and death incarnate did something.  The other thing people don't like about it is that Emma Rios has a European comic art style.  She isn't in the Kirby tradition.  Art's subjective, but people who don't like Emma Rios's art are as close to objectively wrong as is possible in art. 

Overall, I think the book is challenging, but beautiful and lyrical.  It has deep themes that focus on men's destructive possession of women and how to make up for the things you fucked up in the past.  The book uses a lot of embedded storytelling: the opening is a butterfly and a rabbit telling a story that starts off with traveling story-tellers in their story.  In the end, the story has a kind of stisfying didactic ending that you'd expect from a folk tale.  Personally, I think PD is of the best comics I've read.  YMMV.

If you're just wanting to get into KSD in general, I think Bitch Planet might be the safer bet, but I think PD is the better book so far.  Both are amazing and the differences show her versatility as a writer.

Has anyone here read Beautiful Darkness? I read a preview of it and it was pretty fantastic. I'd like to know if it's as consistently excellent as those first few pages.

I really liked it, if the preview is what I'm assuming it is (just checked, it is) obviously it's a big set piece, but I thought the book stayed strong all the way through. It's also a really pretty book. Obviously from the preview the art is good, but also the book design is great. It's just a really nice book to look at.

I spent some time checking the Scribd comic selection and counting the ones that look so bad they must be awesome and they legit good ones... I don't think I'll have time to read them all in the free month!

They have Silent Hill comics, TokyoPop, Heavy Metal... Many series only have one issue and it's not even the first one, but I might actually stay for more than the free trial if this keeps up! 

Oooh, Jhonen Vasquez is going to start doing Invader Zim comics! I love Vasquez, but I felt his style translated a little too shoutily in that show for me to enjoy it as much as I wanted to, so this is the perfect news for me.

Even though I knew it wasn't going to be through SLG it still feels really weird to see him somewhere else since they're so linked when I think of them (he's from the same are as me and so is SLG so I used see him and get my books signed at SLG). That being said there's no way SLG could do the book, they can't even keep JtHM in print and it's their most popular book (I think it's been out of print since 2011). Also as much as I really liked them in the late 90's/early 2k's I don't think I've bought anything they've put out in over a decade.

I'm interested to see how it ends up, but at the same time all his stuff is so specific to a certain time for me (middle school) so I don't know how well it'll translate for me personally regardless of how good it is. Either way I'm glad to see him putting something out, his output is very sparse (I can't think of anything recent he's done outside of a Marvel anthology by alternative creators.)

Yeah, I think the last thing he did otherwise was some Filler Bunny compilation?

Got the new The Wicked + The Divine, Bitch Planet, and Lumberjanes today. All three were great.

Add me to The Wicked + The Divine fan crew. Really good book.

Going to make good and get Pretty Deadly but might as well get Bitch Planet too because how could KSD not be the best?

Unrelated but Rat Queens is also super entertaining

I powered through probably all of Witchblade on Scribd. It starts as a silly 90's comic with Escher girls, but in the end, I really got to like Sara Pezzini's story and enjoyed to see how creative they got with the Witchblade's transformations and powers...

I kinda want a DMC styled Witchblade game now... XP

Dark Horse Digital have currently got a BPRD (the Hellboy spin-off series) bundle deal on - all the comics for $100. That's less than $1 per comic, apparently.

I don't know if anybody is checking out Scribd, but they seem to take down some publications by request of the artists and it seems many of the BOOM comics will only be there for a month or so? I missed out on reading the Steven Universe comics. :(

I could have sworn that when Scribd first launched comics How To Be Happy by Eleanor Davis was on there and then when I went to read it a couple weeks later it was gone.  Maybe that's what happened.  Either way my free month ended last week and I didn't opt to subscribe.  I might check it out later though when there's some new stuff and I am glad with the time I did spend on it as I checked out some stuff I never would have checked out otherwise like The Cage by Martin Vaughn-James.

By the way the final issue of The Private Eye is now up at http://panelsyndicate.com/