Murdoc

Ouya: Ooooh Yeah!

The maker of Hawken is on board, but it wasn't stated that Hawken itself is coming to Ouya.

Yeah. The rhetoric in all this is too uniformed and that doesn't make for good news at all.

The maker of Hawken is on board, but it wasn't stated that Hawken itself is coming to Ouya.

Yeah. The rhetoric in all this is too uniformed and that doesn't make for good news at all.

Has this been confirmed anywhere other than that tweet? Because the way I'm looking at it... you can read it and think the same thing all the other developers have already stated "Hey, that could be cool!"

They come across as deceptive and they haven't done a whole lot to alleviate that. They kinda keep making it worse.

They should definitely stop name-dropping developers and commit to actually paying a couple to make some games.

Although, considering the low price of the console and probably minuscule profit margin, that isn't free money they can invest, but money they need to build the consoles.

Final tally: $8,596,475. It's the second-most successful Kickstarter campaign after those ipod touch watch things. I guess we have to wait and see what happens, but I don't have a good feeling about it. $8 million does not seem like enough money to launch a new console, how much did Microsoft spend on getting the Xbox off the ground, a billion dollars? It's definitely enough to sink Kickstarter with negative press if it all goes tits-up though.

I think looking at this thing like it's another xbox isn't quite the way to do it. I see it as an out of the box PC with a custom OS and service. With that money and all the smoke and mirrors of this campaign, I can bet they've made their money to be happy.

The "wii" was a console and mainly in a different market than the ps3 and 360, so why not this? The costs associated with one platform aren't entirely the same as another nor are they "competing" with the others because their "console" is specialized, niche, system.

And as I mentioned, it's an out of the box components stuck in a case with a controller and an OS... 8.5 mil seems like enough to deliver that, especially when most of that money pretty much came from pre-orders, so they have somewhat of an audience already.

Not to defend this, because I still think it's a dumb product and a misleading campaign, but to compare it to the xbox launch with the mindset that they are both trying to achieve the same goals seems misplaced.

Chris is on the ball with his assertion that these people are hype masters.

One of their updates is titled:

"Final Fantasy comes to OUYA"

So if you are following them on Kickstarter, you get an email that says that in the header. You click it thinking, holy shit, did they just get a legitimate game series to come to their platform?

*click and read on...*

Oh no they didnt. Its a fucking port of FF3 from the 90s. Awesome. Then they continue:

But that’s not the end of it: We’re promising to deliver Final Fantasy III like you’ve never seen it before – Hironobu Sakaguchi’s third installment in the role playing game franchise will be updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail. For those of you who are new to Final Fantasy, we’ll offer a free demo so you can give it a go!

They make it sound like they are doing you a massive favor by upscaling it and giving you a free demo, even though part of the entire platform's premise is that ALL the games on their platform have to have some sort of free option. Final Fantasy is also the opposite of an indie title, and I would also say the opposite of anything exciting or worthwhile, since it will probably cost like $10 and im sure you can buy this for your PS3 already.

And WHAT is the fucking deal with the whole "play on your TV thing". They mention that like every 4 sentences as if its the first console to ever be compatible with a TV. Why does ANYONE give a shit that you play sitting on your couch on your TV? Is that experience really that much better then sitting in a comfy desk chair and playing on a monitor? Or playing with a handheld console like a DS? Because the trade off is sacrificing games selection, your own existing library of games, and any semblance of a powerful system, just so you can play on your tv. Last I checked just about every new device, including iPads, can be connected to your fucking TV.

O think they're heavy on the "on your TV" thing just because it's Android, and they want to focus on the fact that it's not a phone.

I'm still feeling more optimistic about this box than when they started. Between OnLive, XBMC, streaming media company support, and a handful of game development commitments, the box should have more than enough to justify the price at launch. The only part that's still a question in my mind is them bringing the device to market, as that's difficult for any company that hasn't released hardware before.

Yeah if you want to take advantage of the other capabilities its probably worth it. Personally I would have no use for media streaming or OnLive; and I think most people are seeing those as "bonuses" and are still putting their main hopes on the games.

I mean jeez its $100. Thats less than 2 games, and most people buy at least 2 shit games a year. So its not like people are really losing out if this sucks once it comes out.

It's a bit weird that they don't mention that you'll still only be able to use OnLive if it's available in your country. They've still only rolled out their service in a handful of countries, no?

I still can't figure out what this will do that a computer doesn't. Even the "it's on the TV!" thing can easily be done with HDMI outputs, etc. I mean, yeah, it's cheaper than a laptop (if your gaming PC is in a different room or something), but a cheap laptop can play Android games easily enough as well as, y'know, being a portable computer, and lots of people already have those.

Am I missing something?

I still can't figure out what this will do that a computer doesn't. Even the "it's on the TV!" thing can easily be done with HDMI outputs, etc. I mean, yeah, it's cheaper than a laptop (if your gaming PC is in a different room or something), but a cheap laptop can play Android games easily enough as well as, y'know, being a portable computer, and lots of people already have those.

Am I missing something?

Are you aware of a good Android emulator on for x86 that I'm not? Also, is there a legitimate way to obtain games for that emulator?

Are you aware of a good Android emulator on for x86 that I'm not? Also, is there a legitimate way to obtain games for that emulator?

Are you aware of that many android games that are actually worth buying a system to play, and arent available on PC or another platform? Ive had a Android phone for 2yrs and never even play games on it, much less think it has any must haves.

there is a x86 port of Android for select laptop chipsets, and there is that Bluestacks program that supposedly emulates well.

Are you aware of that many android games that are actually worth buying a system to play, and arent available on PC or another platform? Ive had a Android phone for 2yrs and never even play games on it, much less think it has any must haves.

there is a x86 port of Android for select laptop chipsets, and there is that Bluestacks program that supposedly emulates well.

Just because Android doesn't have any prolific exclusive games doesn't mean it won't. That's like saying that Microsoft should have never made the Xbox because it was nothing more than a DirectX machine and all PCs are capable of that already do that already. Why do people buy two or three gaming consoles when they have 99% shared libraries?

Just because Android doesn't have any prolific exclusive games doesn't mean it won't. That's like saying that Microsoft should have never made the Xbox because it was nothing more than a DirectX machine and all PCs are capable of that already do that already. Why do people buy two or three gaming consoles when they have 99% shared libraries?

I guess. But with other consoles, those exclusive games are multi million dollar blockbusters that are either insanely entertaining, unqiue, or memorable. The best Android game just hopes to be a really well polished time waster. If you never got a chance to play Angry Birds, are you really missing anything? But I would argue missing out on a game like Bioshock (which was a Microsoft exclusive at release) is much more significant.

I guess. But with other consoles, those exclusive games are multi million dollar blockbusters that are either insanely entertaining, unqiue, or memorable. The best Android game just hopes to be a really well polished time waster. If you never got a chance to play Angry Birds, are you really missing anything? But I would argue missing out on a game like Bioshock (which was a Microsoft exclusive at release) is much more significant.

I don't really think that's true at all. I have friends who have played hardcore, 'legit' games on iOS for tens of hours. There is nothing inherent to a mobile operating system that prohibits deep, rewarding games. Also, some of the best exclusive games for the Xbox and PS3 are downloadable titles made by small teams on friends & family budgets.

For anyone still watching, the OUYA devkits went out recently. They're allegedly filled with bugs and don't support USB controllers, and we still haven't seen anything actually run on it, but I'm impressed that they actually made and distributed their devkits on schedule.

I like that they chose the transparent casing for the devkits. It really reinforces that this is a game console trapped inside of a giant grain of salt.

(Is it a faux pas to resurrect an old thread like this? It seems to vary across forums)

Now that the dev kits are out I feel very glad that I didn't buy one. A lot of the boasts they made during the kickstarter seem very hollow under scrutiny, such as that it'll have 1080p output. The Raspberry Pi has 1080p output for a fraction of the price, I'd be impressed if it could do that while maintaining a constant high FPS. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised and it turns out that the Ouya is a new wave in gaming, but I highly doubt it.

Wait, if USB controllers aren't supported, how the hell are you supposed to play this thing?