I was actually just playing through with the Embermage and having too much of a blast to quit until now. With the Engineer, the "charge" mechanic (as it's called in the game) is merely five points you fill in a meter hovering awkwardly above the main UI (this, in addition to the need for a quick-map hotkey and a clear statement of a spell's damage, constitutes my only complaint about the game thus far). These points are spent automatically when you cast certain spells for a supercharged version, e.g. the tongues of fire a hammer-slam sends out are doubled and seek out enemies.

With the Embermage, it's a bar that fills up, and once it's full you have ten seconds of infinite mana and increased damage. It gives a great rhythm to the play that is really empowering -- kill all the small fry around the boss, then explode in a frenzy of flaming death for ten seconds to take out the big guy himself. This dynamic alone has me considering a preorder for a game that was solidly a wait-and-see before.

I hate to do this but that Engineer mechanic sounds a lot like the paladin holy power mechanic in WoW. The Embermage thing though, that sounds great.

Is there anything unique regarding the Berserker's rage, or is it just the basic momentum-equals-more-damage thing? And what about the Outlander, what do they have?

That's weird, I was just thinking that the amount of leeway it gives you is a breath of fresh air, after the tightly authored experience of Diablo 3. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

The combat in Diablo 3 is very intense/violent compared to Torchlight 2. D3 is very dark and grim where T2 is more cartoony and humorous. It's a lot easier to completely ignore the story in Torchlight 2, which is why I'll be playing that instead of Diablo 3.

I hate to do this but that Engineer mechanic sounds a lot like the paladin holy power mechanic in WoW. The Embermage thing though, that sounds great.

Is there anything unique regarding the Berserker's rage, or is it just the basic momentum-equals-more-damage thing? And what about the Outlander, what do they have?

Outlander has a bar which gives increased attack speed and cast speed based on how full it is. If it is empty the first attack stuns and deals many damage. Can't remember what the resource is called right now. Basically it just makes you more powerful if you stay in combat. Keep those pistols pumpin'.

Having a blast with the beta. Considering the limited time I have for gaming nowadays and my concerns about the always-on DRM of Diablo III at $60, I think I may just save $40 and quench my ARPG thirst with this instead when it releases.

Looks like you just enter a short period where every hit is a critical, though there are passive skills that add other effects into the mix.

I have to admit that the Embermage is my favorite playthrough thus far, which is weird because I hate playing ranged DPS.

I've started pre-loading the game, so I figured now would be a good time to revive this thread. Anyone care to get together when it comes out? I didn't play any of the beta (unless you count the 15 minute demo I played at PAX) but I had a lot of fun with the first Torchlight. I've never played a game of this type with other people, so I'll probably be asking a lot of stupid questions and doing dumb things. Hopefully some kind soul will take pity on me and let me tag along on their grand adventure.

Kind of late to the party, but I was wondering if there's still three trustworthy thumbs who haven't pre-bought the game, but would be interested in doing so?

If you buy the 4-pack, you can get the game for ~14 € per person, as opposed to 19 €.

Well, the Runic Account Manager site stayed up long enough for me to link my Steam account. My Runic Games name is "Gormongous" and I'm playing pretty much 24/7 for the foreseeable future.

If anyone wanna add me, my Runic name (as in Runic account name, not "written in runes", but that would be totally rad dude) is n490.

Seems like every open game I join is full of instant votekickers. Does the "Friends only" option not work?

Seems like every open game I join is full of instant votekickers. Does the "Friends only" option not work?

I'm always surprised how many people don't use the options when making a game. I see a lot of games called "don't join unless you're john" or "my level +/- 2", and yet those games are all open with no level restrictions and no passwords.

My Runic name is SecretAsianManz if anyone is interested in playing.

Also if you see a game named Baboo, it's probably me.

I'm juv3nal on the runic thingy but not on much (mostly playing borderlands at the moment)

I joined Squid Division's game for a few minutes but was very confused. It was hard to keep track of where the other dudes were, usually by the time I caught up to them they'd already killed everything and there was just a huge amount of loot lying on the ground for me to pick up and not have time to sort through, and then they disappeared into a portal that I apparently couldn't follow them into. I don't play a lot of online multiplayer games; is it always this baffling?

Anyone perhaps interested in getting a TL2 game going? I've been meaning to make it through this game next but I really like playing these kind of games in multiplayer....

I have an abandoned level twelve Embermage I was head over heels with at the time, I'd be fine just ghosting you guys until you're my level. I think we're friends already, SecretAsianMan? For everyone else, I'm Gormongous on Runic's goofy account system thing.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Runic's account thing.  I'm SecretAsianManz over there.  Note the z at the end.

And yeah, we're Steam friends.  We robbed some banks together in Monaco.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Runic's account thing.  I'm SecretAsianManz over there.  Note the z at the end.

And yeah, we're Steam friends.  We robbed some banks together in Monaco.

We're Steam friends and Runic friends, which is even better than real friends.

Just a bump to let people know this is part of today's Summer Sale deals.

Edit:  Also, my Runic account is TheLastBaron

If anybody sees a game called Baboo, it's probably me.  Password is TheWizard.  Anyone is welcome to join.  I'll probably be on and off all weekend.  I also might be in the Idle Thumbs Steam group chat so look there as well.