ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

The naming of the game's covered in the documentary. The game didn't have a moment where Schafer was clear that he'd found the perfect name; he made a big list of potential names, pared it down to the least worse ones, and Broken Age was the least worst of those.

That is really sad, it was the least horrible option.

Yeah, I remember thinking when they announced the name that it sounded like some weird crossover game between Broken Sword and Dragon Age. I still think that. Oh well.

They also worked through a huge pile of name suggestions from backers in the forum, but the big problem with a lot of them (particularly the good ones) was that they were already copyrighted, largely by old obscure things.

I think the name Broken Age was Lee Petty's suggestion? I don't recall for sure but it's somewhere in the documentary.

I thought the "age" part was because it's a coming-of-age story? I don't remember if that was an idea I saw in the documentary, that I read somewhere, or that I made up in my own brain, but it feels like a reasonable way to interpret that.

Even at the meeting where Tim declared they were going with Broken Age, there was a suggestion that it wasn't necessarily permanent and that there was a hope that something better would strike them before release!

Man, I played about ten minutes of this game a year+ ago then stopped.  Finally I can play Broken Age and watch the documentary!

I've been watching the documentary on YouTube even though I'm pretty sure I backed enough to see it before hand, so far I don't think it's going to spoil Act 2. 

I'm pretty hyped for Act 2 though! HUZZAH!

Yusss. I backed this but I only managed to play 20 minutes of it, I just don't like playing games on my laptop. Will buy the PS4 version as I liked what I saw although it means waiting a whole 48 hours more.

Also it's an hour long! I hope they continue this trend going forward into the next episode which will also be the last.

I've said it before, lots of times, but it's still really interesting (to me) that the documentary series about making a game is probably giving me much more enjoyment than the game itself (will). I really enjoyed the first part, and I bet the second one will be even better, but these episodes are so goddamn interesting, and the story of the studio and the people is extremely fascinating and gripping. I wonder if a ... "thing" could come out of this, whereby a documentary series is continuously being produced at all studios and about every game, and that you can buy either the game or the documentary, or both. Would that even work out financially?

Why isn't some documentary team going around at Campo Santo with DSLRs and boom mics right now, recording every little thing and selling it to me?

The movie industry realised the demand for that quite some years ago, I too hope the games industry follows suit.

Why isn't some documentary team going around at Campo Santo with DSLRs and boom mics right now, recording every little thing and selling it to me?

We will have to settle for a Ken Burns style documentary with close-up zooms of stills from the game while Sam Waterston reads their Slack chats.

We had a video crew in for a day but the footage captured was so potent, it made the rest of the documentary unnecessary.

It's out now for backers!  Go play it!

Where are you seeing that? The version on Humble hasn't been updated since July 2014.

In a couple of emails they've told backers to expect emails from Humble Bundle about Part 2. Is that only for the DRM-free versions? Wouldn't the Steam version just update itself when it's available?

Why isn't Steam updating already?!

I got an email from both Humble and Kickstarter telling me it was released.  The instructions on the Humble page for unlocking it in Steam are:

1. Install Broken Age
  2. Right click and select "Properties"
  3. Click on the "Betas" tab
  4. Enter your code and select "Check Code" (there was a code in my email from the Humble store, I assume it's that)
  5. Select the branch "Beta - Beta Branch"
  6. Wait for the game to download
  7. Play the game!

I'm still at work right now so I haven't tried any of this.

The reviews I'm seeing are pretty mixed, but most seem disappointed. I guess that's to be expected a bit, especially for something not actually designed to be split up like this?

Walker's got a good sense of adventure games but he does seem to expect them to have "look at" interactions and that bit about the save games.. Really? Does that bother anyone else in this type of game?

I don't trust John Walker's opinion on anything much - he didn't care for Part One, either, for dumb reasons.

Oh man, but I've got WizardJam and Age Of Ultron waiting for me as well!

There were a lot of middling to poor opinions on Part 1, and I felt like it was one of the best games I played that year.  Mechanically the puzzles could have been better, but I was fascinated with the themes and characters going on, and how few people picked up on them in the first few days.  The only way I won't be happy with Part 2 is if it doesn't continue being Feminism: The Game. 

I just beat Act 2 and I LOVED it! The "worst" of the puzzled just required taking some notes and putting 2 and 2 together. 

Frankly, I think the game is almost flawless, whenever I got stuck in a puzzle, I switched characters and when I had to return to the other and facepalm at my own stupidity for not being able to figure it out.

I don't trust John Walker's opinion on anything much - he didn't care for Part One, either, for dumb reasons.

I trust his opinions but I'm also quite certain they won't usually align with mine.

Hoping to get into this tonight with the missus.

I got an email from both Humble and Kickstarter telling me it was released.  The instructions on the Humble page for unlocking it in Steam are:

1. Install Broken Age
  2. Right click and select "Properties"
  3. Click on the "Betas" tab
  4. Enter your code and select "Check Code" (there was a code in my email from the Humble store, I assume it's that)
  5. Select the branch "Beta - Beta Branch"
  6. Wait for the game to download
  7. Play the game!

I'm still at work right now so I haven't tried any of this.

I didn't get that email. Maybe they're still working off their old email lists from the Kickstarter and not based on Humble Bundle accounts? I've changed my email address since the Kickstarter happened.