Brannigan

DOTA 2

I had a weird bug where the stream wasn't showing up on the iOS twitch app, so had to watch it on my pc

Why are the majority of Russian players such assholes?

#notallrussians

As far as region-based asshattery goes, South Americans have been the most likely to call me or anyone else on our team the f-word when they get mad at the game.

Also the most likely to stream their radio or household sounds over the mic.

For those of you watching the Rektreational, there is an update on Round 2 -

Round 2

Round 2 begins Friday, August 15 at 6pm PT / 9pm ET with Poutine King Bar vs. Regular Dangerous. twitch.tv/rektreational

Saturday, August 23 @ 4pm PT / 7pm ET: Potato Day vs. Team Generic in Round 2!

Updates to come.

As a reminder, Regular Dangerous is the IGN + Arthur Gies team, and Potato Day is DOTA Today crew.

Can we not do that weirdo regional stereotyping/xenophobia thing please? The worst people to play with are dota players.

im on a mission to salvage my puck record.  bad team comp, poor decision play, and a general lack of control has put me in a -10 game deficit with the little dragon.  But im still running into a problem with build -

Lately ive been Q/E/Q/W/Q/R/Q/WWW/EEE & getting bottle, wand, treads, and a blink fairly quick - but w/o the rank 4 Phase Shift im getting my wings plucked in big fights, especially with aoe dots going no way to get the phase->blink queue going.  My change would be to prioritize phase shift sooner to get the 3.25 disappearing act and become more mobile/survivable to keep illusory orb'ing from the back 

Late game usually looks like a linkens & ginsoo if theres too much money otherwise i slip into wards & dust for the team

anyone play it different, or is phase shift>wanning rift a defensive cop out as i suspect

http://chaqdota.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/chaqs-guide-to-puck/ Just read this. 

Also read this if you haven't http://chaqdota.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/chaqs-ultimate-guide-to-advanced-solo-middle/

Also what you really is asking is:

Is longer invulnerability better than a longer silence? The answer is most likely not really. Doesn't really matter if you are a dead puck as long as the 3 second 3 man silence won you the team fight. Sitting in phase shift is pretty useless if you can only silence the enemy for 0.75 seconds. 

Waning rift scales like this:  0.75/1.5/2.25/3.0 seconds duration, 70/140/210/280 points of damage

Phase shift scales like this: 0.75/1.5/2.25/3.25

i figured it was a selfish/self preserving build change

In my (not great) 5's group i play with we play a more sustain push plan, less spectacular plays and more attrition wins.  i figured if i wasnt dead and still casting orbs / (less effective) rifts would work better

that damage scale on the rift is crazy, the silence time is pretty great too

The damage on both the orb and silence is identical I think, only orb has a slightly shorter CD. A lot of value from puck comes from a lot of aoe magic dmg in fights, he's pretty strong at level 10 when both nukes are max. I don't think it's worth it to get more phase shift early. You could leave orb at level 1 and max silence instead.

The damage on both the orb and silence is identical I think, only orb has a slightly shorter CD. A lot of value from puck comes from a lot of aoe magic dmg in fights, he's pretty strong at level 10 when both nukes are max. I don't think it's worth it to get more phase shift early. You could leave orb at level 1 and max silence instead.

Speaking of magic damage, the Crate and Crowbar podcasts right after The International had some interesting discussion about the narrative-mechanical logical incoherence of some of the magic damage / physical damage distinctions made within the game and how it's utterly baffling for a new player.

That's a good addition to the "DoTA for not quite beginners" guide that I outlined when first picking up the game. There's still a lack of convenient reference guides for a lot of newbie stuff that's above "how does I move" but below serious strategy talk, I guess that stuff is all just on youtube and lack of quick-lookup reference is just the way it's going to be.

i figured it was a selfish/self preserving build change

In my (not great) 5's group i play with we play a more sustain push plan, less spectacular plays and more attrition wins.  i figured if i wasnt dead and still casting orbs / (less effective) rifts would work better

that damage scale on the rift is crazy, the silence time is pretty great too

Why are you playing puck in that line up? He is one of the hardest heroes to play and doesn't really fit into what you described. 

Speaking of magic damage, the Crate and Crowbar podcasts right after The International had some interesting discussion about the narrative-mechanical logical incoherence of some of the magic damage / physical damage distinctions made within the game and how it's utterly baffling for a new player.

That's a good addition to the "DoTA for not quite beginners" guide that I outlined when first picking up the game. There's still a lack of convenient reference guides for a lot of newbie stuff that's above "how does I move" but below serious strategy talk, I guess that stuff is all just on youtube and lack of quick-lookup reference is just the way it's going to be.

Knowing exactly what kind of damage each ability does isn't super important though. Even if you didn't know all of dazzle's spells do physical damage you would do fine. Only mistakenly buying a cloak/hood of defiance could be an issue but buying more HP accomplishes the same thing regardless of pure laser/composite march or mixed edict.

We play random draft and it comes up as a strong middle lane/early gank a lot.  

I love big play games, but the 5th on our team is a total scrub that is good for wards and usually irritation. (did I mention this whole team is family?) so frequently need to do some unorthodox laning and lord positions

But as I started the post I'm on a personal quest to fix my puck skills/win-loss ratio, I do not plan on shoe-horning him into a bad lineup to get a statistic.

I appreciate all the responses though, imma keep with the rift priority for the sake of damage and silence. If I live the fight even better

Knowing exactly what kind of damage each ability does isn't super important though. Even if you didn't know all of dazzle's spells do physical damage you would do fine. Only mistakenly buying a cloak/hood of defiance could be an issue but buying more HP accomplishes the same thing regardless of pure laser/composite march or mixed edict.

Except magic damage doesn't scale with stats, and physical damage does, right?

Except magic damage doesn't scale with stats, and physical damage does, right?

Oh I thought you meant damage types, not scaling vs none scaling damage.

It's the opposite deal in old school RPGs. Flavor wise it made a bit more sense there. Mechanically it fits well into what the game is now.

There's a few heroes that kill with fixed damage in late game, like tinker and timbersaw. There's always some supports that didn't get 500 GPM to kill with nukes. 

Maybe I just don't understand the difference myself then. I was just recently informed that stacking Intellegence on a support like Crystal Maiden doesn't do anything because magic damage doesn't scale with stats, but I don't really know why.

Int does effect max mana and its regen. It could be a matter of diminishing your downtime (while also buffing up your right click, as infrequent as it may be needed).

According to purge's guide Int does increase your damage by +1 for Int heroes, although what kind of damage it is is ambiguous. I would assume that refers to your right click attack as opposed to your abilities, but honestly I have no idea. I'd be interested to hear from someone with greater knowledge of the game.

Increasing a heroes' primary stat increases auto-attack damage. That's why you build agility items on agility heroes, etc.

Skills/spells/whatever don't scale at all from stats with a few exceptions: Silencer's orb (glaives of wisdom) scales with int, and you steal int from people who die around you, which is nice. Outworld Devourer's orb (arcane orb) does extra damage based on mana remaining in his mana pool. Both of those are pure damage, scaling off of intelligence (although in OD's case it's a sort of indirect scaling). OD also does more damage with his ultimate based on the difference in intelligence between him and the target, so getting a ton of pure intelligence items on him is important.

There might be more I'm forgetting, but as a general rule assume skills DON'T scale. They'll always specifically say if they do scale.

I know Centaur Warrunner's return and stampede skills scale with his strength.

Knowing which damage type the lords deal matters quite a bit when there are BKBs entering the battlefield. BKB is a whole new chapter of dota. Why does overgrowth root BKBed targets, but if you activate BKB while rooted you can break it? Weird shit. 

For all heroes: 

Intelligence increases your mana by 13 MP and 0.04 MP/sec regen.

Strength increases your health by 19 HP and 0.03 HP/sec regen.

Agility increases your attack speed by 1 and armor by 0.14. 

Carries are usually (nearly always) agility heroes because agility increases armor, attack speed and attack damage for an agility hero. Some heroes gain more stats when they level up than others. I think Phantom Lancer has the highest agility growth with like 4.2 or 4.3, Slark has like 1.5 iirc. 

Yeah, almost every spell in the game is fixed damage. They're all mostly 300 or so spell damage when level 4. Only reducing the enemy's magic resistance via veil of discord, building an aghanim's scepter or refresher to cast a better/more ultis. Also orchid malevolance fits since it'll increase damage you do by 20% for 5 seconds on one target via the silence.

Its 30%! It will deal 30% of the damage the target takes during the silence when the silence ends. 

Its 30%! It will deal 30% of the damage the target takes during the silence when the silence ends. 

My bad

• Soul Burn's damage amplification increased from 25% to 30%.

• Recipe reworked
    • Old Orchid Malevolence:
      • Components: Oblivion Staff x3 (1675 each) (Total: 5025)
      • Stats: +20 Intelligence, 225% mana regeneration, +45 Damage, +30 Attack Speed
      • Active: Soul Burn
    • New Orchid Malevolence:
      • Components: Oblivion Staff x2 (1675 each), Recipe (775) (Total: 4125)
      • Stats: +25 Intelligence, +150% Mana regeneration, +30 Damage, +30 Attack speed
      • Active: Soul Burn

• Soul Burn's damage recurrence increased from 20% to 25%.

It's still reduced by 25% hero magic resistance though. Unless it's meepo or visage.