Brannigan

DOTA 2

there has to be a big balance patch coming behind this, i hope they dont wait till halloween diretide for pitlord & something worth while.  techies are swell, but not a major game changer...just get more wards/gem on a range.  maybe more hoods because of the remote mine magic and land mines are composite

Personally I'm excited about the new gameplay modes they are rolling out. They sound like fun to me! But yes, I hope there is some rebalancing happening with this that just hasn't been announced yet. There are a couple of other tweaks they did that I think are nice touches. Probably the addition of techies is the least exciting aspect of this.

Yes. Game modes. All Random Death Match* is so fun. Holy shit. It is the dumbest shit ever, but still has some meta game and thought to it. 

* When you die, you get a new random hero. Items and levels are kept. Your skill points are refunded. 

I didn't play enough in dota1 to form some meta, it's just making blink and dagon on everything, right?

for AR/DM i would always go blink/dagon/power treads...Maybe an Aggs depending what has been used in the pool.  Generally health/survivability items are always good, van/hood/blademail

there were some other modes in dota1 that were pretty great

-ID - item drop

-MC - mega creeps (essentially ancients spawn and help push the lanes out)

-aa,as,ai for all agi/str/int heroes

-ro/mo for all melee / ranged

and some neat modifiers like pooled items, fast respawn, rune changes, all same hero, and some zoom/far out camera stuff (gross)

Also picking only from respective radiant/dire taverns - for dota2 people they used to have wc3 taverns to pick heros from.  thats also why the hero selection grid is broken up not just by attribute class but also rad/dire alignment

There was one added later I never played called Capture Point, this would be a pretty neat and obviously makes sense based on the map.  Hold middle points between towers or in jungles etc.  I would imagine they release this first as a holiday mode and then re-incorporate into the base game 

You forgot about the best mode, -omg. Spawned random fracturing hydra creeps with your creeps every 5 or 10 minutes in opposite lanes.

I thought Chris already played some Tiny and owned it up in a game.

I thought Chris already played some Tiny and owned it up in a game.

CORRUPTION IN GAMES AHHHHHHHHHHH

CORRUPTION IN GAMES AHHHHHHHHHHH

Corruption in DIGITAL SPORTS isn't anything new, there's accusations flying constantly! Mostly at shady, new tournaments with unknown organizers. NOT THIS ONE, it's mostly shit with people not paying money to winners/staff.

You forgot about the best mode, -omg. Spawned random fracturing hydra creeps with your creeps every 5 or 10 minutes in opposite lanes.

isnt that -SC for super creeps

or is -omg even bigger super mega creeps...

isnt that -SC for super creeps

or is -omg even bigger super mega creeps...

Yeah, you're right.

sc Super Creeps. Powerful creeps will spawn every 10 minutes.

mi Mini Heroes. All heroes are half normal size.

er Experimental Runes. Uses an experimental rune spawning system.

cp Capture Point. Specific areas appear at 10 minute mark. Capturing them grants various bonus auras.

Yes. Game modes. All Random Death Match* is so fun. Holy shit. It is the dumbest shit ever, but still has some meta game and thought to it. 

* When you die, you get a new random hero. Items and levels are kept. Your skill points are refunded. 

Yeah, I think this is something DOTA 2 has needed for awhile. Game modes that are just stupid fun and not meant to be taken too seriously. The closest thing at the moment has just been all random/random draft.

Ability draft!

Except I hate it because it's broken as fuck, and ends up being less fun for me than real Dota, even when I'm on a losing streak. Especially when? Whatever. Fuck video games!

No but for real I'm actually pretty excited for ARDM. Looking forward to it!

Yeah I guess that's the problem I've had with ability draft. I've never actually played it, but when I've watched videos it never looked very fun.

Yeah. Ability draft is just dumb, all is decided in picking (which takes fucking ages). 

Conceptually I think it's a great idea but it just doesn't pan out.

I think a quicker game format with that setup would be best. Like a game that's guaranteed to not last more than twenty minutes at most. Some kind of scoring, like soccer or some shit. I dunno.

But then I also wish Diretide would be reworked with its own specific map built for the mode (similar to Wraith Night and the New Year Beast, but still competitive instead of co-op).

I used to play on some servers with earlier mods, it just had things like 3x,5x,10x all numbers on abilities, branch stacking mode activated, all random heroes, all random abilities. Also random items every 5 minutes or something. Games ended just about where you had enough, constant silly shit like enigma midnight pulse that took a screen and a half, tinker's march of the machines that farmed a quarter of the map at a time, 9 second stuns on stormbolt, etc. 

I forgot what the website was called but it's been closed by now I think. You just joined via website, it connected to server IP and done.

I hope custom maps live again soon.

For those still into the game industry tournament, 3 games coming up this weekend:

Friday, September 5 @ 7pm PT / 10pm ET: Gin & Tango vs. Swaghanim’s Scepter

Saturday, September 6 @ 11am PT / 2pm ET: Ayesee Slater vs. Venomancer? I Hardly Know Her

Saturday, September 6 @ 2pm PT / 5pm ET: Clinkz Eastwood vs. Five Alive

It's all going to be on www.twitch.tv/rektreational

I won't be commentating this time, I'm out of town for the weekend, in the northen quebec wilderness.

Round 3 has to be played before september 14th, so keep in mind, next week should be packed as well!

I played Ability Draft through mods before Valve officially supported it. I liked it better in the mods because it allowed random draft of abilities, not just heroes. If Valve could build a decent weighted randomization algorithm that results in somewhat even matchups I think that mode would be way more fun. Of course, that is easier said than done with the grotesque amount of variables involved in ability synergy (napalm + ion shell = gross).

Still, just the option of pure randomization ought to make it the easy to pick up 15 min game bullshit it seems to be intended as.

Deathmatch is pretty fun! I wish it was short, maybe an option to play 25 stock or something would be cool. Neat little goof off mode, though the loading thing is kind of a drag.

Having a weird run of "luck" in my beginner days with DOTA 2; it seems like I'm often on a team facing against four people after someone dropped out. Tonight TWO people dropped out after an opening period where things seemed very even. It's actually a bit of a bummer really, but also educational. I'm getting first-hand experience of what a nightmare it is to play when outnumbered when the team with the full complement makes any kind of effort to play together.

I've only been on an outnumbered team once. I'm assuming this is slightly more common at lower levels, but maybe not. I'm definitely in the "having fun regardless" phase though.

Leaving a game gets you (eventually) penalized IF you're the 1st person to leave. If someone else has already left/been disconnected for 5 minutes total/has been AFK for 5 minutes the message above the Disconnect Button will be a green "This game is safe to leave." It'll also show in game in the kill log but that can be missed. If it isn't safe to leave it'll have a red sentence explaining how you could be ruining the game for the rest of your team.

Leaving a bunch of games get you put into the low priority queue with everyone else who abandoned too many games for X games. I don't know what the threshold is but I think it's lower than 10% of your games abandoned.

I usually leave a game as soon as someone abandons and queue up for another if I have time. You could keep playing and get that 4 man comeback or silly 2v3 games. Those can be fun with the right heroes.