Raff

Dishonored - or - GIFs By Breckon

I almost never buy DLC, but I've heard too many good things (and enjoyed the full game too much) to not take the plunge. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to play through it.

I've noticed that I rarely bother with DLC when first playing/finishing a game, but it does provide quite an attractive reason to replay a game some time later. For example with Deus Ex: HR I have a whole new chapter to look forward to when I replay it, and the same for Dishonored.

Despite stopping to read every book and slip of paper that he came across, listen to every audiolog, smash every empty bottle, climb every available piece of raised furniture and eat every scrap of tinned fish (was he never fed?), Corvo was not discovered by your men. Guard alertness appears to be an issue.

Caught this piece on Unwinnable and immediately thought of Idle Thumbs when I read it.

It's a piece of fiction written from the P.O.V. of an inspector investigating the actions of Corvo, but recognizing the player's actions as Corvo.

The first mission of the Brigmore Witches DLC that was released a few days ago is an homage to the first Thief. Breaking into a prison and rescuing an unconscious person was an early mission in that game. The DLC overall is probably not as good as the Knife of Dunwall but it's more Dishonored. It does make me wish there was a level editor though.

Knife's neat thing was that it stopped time when you used Blink. I found that made me more daring in the swashbuckle-y sense, leaping from building to building that Corvo wouldn't have been able to do, but Daud can. Going back and playing the base game is a weird shift without it. Brigmore adds Pull. It lets you grab things (and when upgraded, people) from faraway. It's kind of useful for a pure stealth run, but it's not as big a deal as Daud's Blink.

Edit: Oh, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun had an interview with Raph Colantonio about Dishonored's future. I don't think there are any important pieces of news from it, other than more confirmation that Arkane are definitely not working on Prey 2.

Damn, started playing the DLC and wasted a lot of time on the first mission of Knife of Dunwall. I loaded and saved a lot as I was remembering how this game is played. I only used quicksaves...

After interrogating the factory boss guy, and dumping him in a box, I suddenly realized I could not do the side missions any more (such as doing the thing with the valves) and wanted to go back... but my quicksave was past that point of no return and also the autosaves were of the interrogation and box-dumping. It should at least keep an autosave from before a key decision.

This makes me so mad I just want to give up on the game, but maybe I'll try again later.

I started the next DLC yesterday and also spend a lot of time on the first mission to get back into the game.

I've almost finished the DLC for the Brigmore Witches I think. I like both pieces of DLC quite a bit, and I've really come around to Dishonored after initially having mixed feelings about the game.

1393880732-dishonored-2-darkness-of-tyvi

I decided to put this image in a more appropriate thread ;-)

Yes! Since Thi4f was apparently a disappointment, I need my stealth game fix real bad.

Ok, C'mon, just make it harder and I'm in. I loved the... not the specific art style, but the art direction and how connected everything felt. I really appreciated... the setting felt like a weird cross of just derivative enough to not feel entirely original, but I still appreciated a setting that tried. The morality system was horrible, yet I appreciate a game with multiple paths and endings.

What I'm saying is, they acknowledged the morality system was rather broken (because it was put in at the last minute), and hopefully they can make the other stuff interesting enough as well that I'm fulling willing to give them another shot. C'mon guys you can do it!

I am happy. Here's hoping we get more missions like the Golden Cat and Brigmore Witches and less The Flooded District. Also change the name and get rid of that horrid mask.

I hope they follow in the steps of the two DLC episodes, Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches. Not only did they fine tune the mechanics even more, but they managed to create a truly engaging story with fully rounded characters that felt great along with the already incredibly detailed and interesting lore writing found in notes and the environment. 

I didn't play any of the DLC, did they still focus on that really terrible character with the horrible voice acting? All of that needs to take a back seat in this franchise.

I didn't play any of the DLC, did they still focus on that really terrible character with the horrible voice acting?

Which one of them are you talking about? :grin:

But no, whatever character you mean (which sounds like every single character in the main game) don't return or have any major role other than being in the background. The story focuses around the most interesting (and most well acted) character of the main game, Daud, before the events of Dishonored. They literally fixed everything shitty in the plot. Engaging mystery hook, speaking protagonist, well rounded female characters, interesting (yet admittedly simple) story.

Add that with the already brilliantly written lore items, finer-tuned mechanics, and already amazing art direction, and you have two DLC episodes that should've been the main game. Like, seriously, in the Dishonored universe, the DLC episodes were actually the main game. Also, Dishonored Christmas Duck DLC pack.

I will never understand the love of Daud. I can just see him being interesting (is it his remorse?) but I don't find him well-written.

I will never understand the love of Daud. I can just see him being interesting (is it his remorse?) but I don't find him well-written.

I never said he was well-written. All in all, the writing in Dishonored is very droll and cliche at times, but that doesn't make Daud any less of an interesting character. In the few minutes he was on, he was more developed than all other characters combined and was an interesting mirror as to what the player could become. Of course, they don't follow with that last thread, so in the end he becomes forgotten. 

I really suggest trying out the DLC. I don't know any other way to convince someone other than to say "Everything shitty in the plot in the main game isn't there now."

At a minimum, Daud is more interesting than Corvo.

But who cares about all of that? Dishonored was a game where interacting with the environment was a rad experience, of course I want more of that.