Raff

Dishonored - or - GIFs By Breckon

I can't even believe I'm typing this sort of stuff because it seems patently obvious to me that Dishonored is set in a world where whale oil is completely different from what we call whale oil in our world, and I can't even imagine why you would want to criticize it for giving properties to whale oil that it doesn't have in real life, but here we are. It just seems like such a weird beef to have with the game.

I agree that typing that was somewhat unnecessary. I had not seen or paid attention to that whale in the picture you posted. I more or less exactly covered points 2 to 4 in the post you just quoted. Note that I said this was not immediately clear to me. I repeat that I am now aware that whales are magical in Dishonored.

Whale oil was just an example and not my only problem with the world of Dishonored. Wikipedia Brown did a much better job than me at pointing out how some of the decisions significantly improved gameplay but made the world less believable.

Crunch crunch crunch, now your pantry is empty, Lord Whatsisface. I wasn't even hungry.

I love that. Makes me feel like a gremlin or something

Can you get caught stealing, by the way? I pretty much ate everything there was to eat and stole everything there was to steal at the costume party, and no one complained. I was, in so many ways, the worst guest.

I thought it was obvious from the instant I saw glowing blue whale oil tanks that whales were different in Dishonored Land. When it became apparent in the first actual level that all the witchery-didgeridoo was also whale-related.... well, it was just confirmation of what I'd already suspected.

WHALES.

They's got magic in their bones.

Can you get caught stealing, by the way? I pretty much ate everything there was to eat and stole everything there was to steal at the costume party, and no one complained. I was, in so many ways, the worst guest.

At the party if you steal something in front of a guest, they say "go ahead! everyone does" which is so fucking perfect

Ahh.. I think I heard that once, but didn't make the connection.

If you pickpocket people at the party and you get caught too many times, the guards do come after you, though.

Hah! I love that there is some limit of stealing the guards will tolerate.

The party was awesome, but I suspect that the rest of the missions will be quite different. Hopefully, the new Hitman will turn out good.

Finished it. 22 hours. I was definitely stretching it, though. It's not like there's really any reason to knock everyone in pretty much every level out.

I've had a frustrating error these last 3 days. The first time it hppened when I started to play that night, today it was after I had played for an hour already. The game just stops saving, so on quick, manual or auto saves, it just says, "There was an issue saving the game." Pressing retry lands me back in the same error screen, pressing cancel returns to the game, which freezes the next time a menu opens or after a few minutes of playing. Anybody encountered (and solved this) before?

Things I've tried so far:

- Set dishonored.exe to start as administrator

- Confirmed full access privileges to the save folder

- Had Steam check integrity of game files

- Turned cloud saving off

- Moved all saves but the latest out of the save folder

- Turned cloud saving back on

- Deleted local content and redownloaded the entire game

Right now, I can basically load my latest saves (cleaned the Hound Pits from the Watch) and even resave. But as soon as I talk to Samuel to take me to the next (last?) mission, I get the error again.

I finished the Boyle party mission last night, and the game really starts to shine once you become comfortable with the more fuzzy and vague mechanics. I still think the game could benefit from some polish in this area. I've had bodies weirdly disappearing, and sound cues out of nowhere that make it sound like something important has happened. Also, when I did the duel and

sleep darted the guy

they still were all «omg he's dead!»

Yeah, and people keep writing in their diaries that you're this crazy killer dude.

One of my favorite things about this game is eating everything in sight. I love going into someone's kitchen and just munching everything down. I even like the sound effect.

Crunch crunch crunch, now your pantry is empty, Lord Whatsisface. I wasn't even hungry.

A few hours in, Corvo's indifference towards eating food from abandoned, rat-infested buildings began to weird me out.

The Outsider. He is always one step ahead of you, preparing your next tasty rodent.

And by tasty, I mean drugged. None of your magic is real. You're just hallucinating, and he's taking advantage of your hallucinations to appear as some magical being in your "dreams".

Finished it yesterday. Excellent game!

I appreciate the fact that they didn't completely mix things up gameplaywise towards the end, potentially making all the sweet skills I had learned before useless. I'm sure that many people found the game way too easy on normal, but I actually liked the difficulty curve, or the partial lack thereof. While the enemies became tougher and more numerous towards the end, I was able to deal with them just fine because of my expanded arsenal. In fact, the first "assassination" was probably the hardest mission for me simply because I felt ill-equipped for the task.

I was hoping for the Outsider thing to go somewhere cool. Instead, he just kept narrating the things I had done in case I had somehow missed their significance. The low chaos / high chaos ending felt a bit weird, but it did not bother me nearly as much as some all-pervasive morality system would have. I understood that the amount of chaos you cause also affects the number of guards and weepers in the following levels (?), which sounds at least somewhat organic and interesting.

Just finished it, with all the achievements I was going for. Though I had some frustrating moments in the game, related to not knowing if I'd botched anything until after each mission, those were only the product of my getting nervous about stuff I've heard. I had no problems at al with kills or alerts getting registered without my knowing, and everything went really smooth, with the exception of having to hack that one encounter towards the end to avoid being noticed or having to kill anyone. All the main missions and levels were great – lots of feeling like a powerful superking spelling every which way throughout castles and streets.

Being a huge pussy, I'm always happy when I can complete a game without getting frustrated and angry at some dumb difficult challenge, and in this regard this game was perfect (playing on normal.) I pretty quickly got all my relevant powers maxed out, and mana was never a problem, so for me this game was mainly about exploring beautiful and fantastic levels, sweetly traversing them and feeling in control of all situations. It gave me a little bit of Half-Life 2, and a little bit of Thief, and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year.

So the maids bug out on me constantly on every level. If I knock one out, no matter if someone sees me, or not, they all instantly go into panic mode. Does this mean I've "alerted" them? Up until now, I have been reloading when I realize what happened, but boy it'd sure be nice if I didn't have to because a bug made ME panic.

Hey if anyone has done a nonlethal, full stealth run... why do I have a mysterious hostile kill in

Mission 7: The Flooded District? This is the second time it's happened to me, and this time around, I made damn sure there were no people drowning in puddles or falling down stairs or or or. D: