Sign in to follow this  
Sno

E3 2K11

Man, I don't hope this at all. If I had my way, then PS4 and the next Xbox would be out by 2012.

Sony is pushing for the PS4 to be 2013 from what I overheard from the execs that talked with them at E3.

Man, I don't hope this at all. If I had my way, then PS4 and the next Xbox would be out by 2012.

I hope it's several years away. I still feel like my XBox is new.

Yeah, hard to imagine, but it's been nearly 6 years since the 360 was released.

All of these games are just getting better and better each year, why would anyone want to rush to a new generation where everyone has to develop new game engines and start from scratch?

All of these games are just getting better and better each year, why would anyone want to rush to a new generation where everyone has to develop new game engines and start from scratch?

Would they really have to start from scratch, though? Or anywhere near that for that matter?

I wish my consoles could do Full HD.

In the case of the PS3, developers would have to almost completely scratch their engines, seeing as the PS4 definitely won't be using the same architecture. I expect the next generation of consoles to be more similar and PC-like, with more CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.

In the case of the PS3, developers would have to almost completely scratch their engines, seeing as the PS4 definitely won't be using the same architecture. I expect the next generation of consoles to be more similar and PC-like, with more CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.

That's interesting. I wonder if they'll ever made upgradable consoles in that way. I suppose it makes sense that they would. The 360/PS3 aren't really that far behind PC gaming at the moment, so it seems like a whole new architecture would be overkill. I imagine it will continue like that in the future.

In the case of the PS3, developers would have to almost completely scratch their engines, seeing as the PS4 definitely won't be using the same architecture.

Naughty Dog technology interviews always leave me with mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's nice to hear that people are really pushing the technology as far as they can and optimizing the hell out of everything. On the other hand, I can't help but imagine how good the Uncharted games could look like on more powerful and/or less baffling hardware. Like on PC.

I really do hope that next generation of consoles will be more similar to each other in terms of hardware architecture. I'm fed up with the PS3/XBOX360 comparison videos and all that crap.

The 360/PS3 aren't really that far behind PC gaming at the moment,

uh... yes they are

Complete agreement.

I get that Ubi doesn't want to release it just as a PC game, but wouldn't that be awesome?

I'm perfectly okay with that, it doesn't necessarily have to be on any hypothetical console.

Taking a small sidenote, I'm completely rooting for a 3DS Majora's Mask remake, ESPECIALLY if they tweak the game a little bit (just a little bit) to be a bit more forgiving.

Haha, I think this is actually an easy fix (outside of that annoying fish boss) and all it really takes is being able to utilize the owl statues to save and NOT have your save there erased upon coming back. I got around that anyway by using the memory card copy trick on the Gamecube port though.

I didn't say. But it was Ocarina, which I'm now currently 9 hours into on an emulator. I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet.

Yeah, I don't know, I don't want to tell you to keep playing trying different games in the series if you don't already enjoy what you've been playing, but the 3D ones are sort of a different animal outside of similar design structures. Just the operation and controls take way different skills. I personally am not that thrilled with Ocarina, even though everyone has labeled it the penultimate Zelda game. I rank Majora's Mask and Wind Waker far above it.

Some people stick to the 2D or 3D camps, while many like both. If you're interested in seeing if you like 2D Zelda's you might want to try Link to the Past as recommended earlier. The other Game Boy Color ones are all solid too, as well as Minish Cap.

Nobody here was even making that argument though, the Zelda games have never been about story.

I was teasing, a bit. However, it was still a valid point, people used to talk about how Final Fantasy was reimagined with each new iteration (and they often weren't refering to story when they did this).

yeah it still feels like the majority of developers finally have this generation figured out and we still need to reap the benefits.

However, this isn't going to be like the last generation gap where artists and programmers have to re-learn everything because there was such a significant change in technology, it'll be an iteration on what we already know, so we'll be able to make better looking things and more of.

In terms of texture size, lighting/rendering enhancements it'll be nice to be using something that feels a little more up to date and will look a lot better.

It's pretty cool what developers manage to get out of those boxes, but the consoles are lagging behind. Better hardware doesn't just mean better graphics -- it opens up new gameplay posibilities too.

Yea, Murdoc, I have a feeling that the next leap in terms of power won't be nearly as big as the jump from PS2 to PS3/Xbox to X360. Like the WiiU, basically. From what I understood, it uses the same architecture, just a beefed up version of everything. AND MORE RAM. Always need more RAM. :grin:

In the case of the PS3, developers would have to almost completely scratch their engines, seeing as the PS4 definitely won't be using the same architecture.

You don't think they're going to just use a more powerful version of Cell?

I personally am not that thrilled with Ocarina, even though everyone has labeled it the penultimate Zelda game. I rank Majora's Mask and Wind Waker far above it.

Actually, the penultimate Zelda game would be Phantom Hourglass, as it was the second-to-last one to come out.

*gets back in language police patrol car and drives away*

:tup: Good news : There's a LOT of talent in the games industry. A LOT. Everyone and their dog wants to be in the game industry, they're all talented, dedicated, and willing to work ridiculous hours for almost no pay. Hell, they'll even wash your dog for you. And your car. And your ass.

:tdown: Bad news : They're all making shitty games.

:tmeh: In other news : I'm bored of League of Legends.

:getmecoat Until next time, this was Karimi. See you in a year or so.

Don't go! We miss you!

I've been on the Idle Thumbs chat room on Steam by the way, does anyone use this ? Is there a TS or vent or something ?

I really had no idea what penultimate meant, I just wanted to say it all cool. Total failure.

I've been on the Idle Thumbs chat room on Steam by the way, does anyone use this ? Is there a TS or vent or something ?

I tried to use this to talk to you guys for E3 and then I realized I actually have to own at least one game on Steam in order to chat. Boo Valve, boo!:tdown:

Penultimate is a ballpoint BIC that just never dries up. In many ways, it is the ultimate pen, or Penultimate.

Did I express my hopes yet today that there will be a Majora's Mask 3DS remake that slightly alters the difficulty to 'less insane' and thus enables me to actually finish this beautiful, unique masterpiece?

Majora's Mask was hard? i think i last played it like 12 years ago so obviously i don't remember it so well but i definitely beat it, and beat it thoroughly, doing all the optional/side stuff

also I don't see a rerelease happening. I know nintendo love to make money on old games, but they've neglected that game pretty hardcore since its release.

i'd love to see an HD remake of Wind Waker

I was on there for Microsoft, EA, and Ubisoft's press conferences during E3, but that was the only time I've been on there. I honestly don't know if there are ever regular chats that happen, I think you'd need to schedule something (like "hey, let's all talk while making fun of the E3 conferences") in order to have a group to talk to.

I really had no idea what penultimate meant, I just wanted to say it all cool. Total failure.

Meh, not many people do, and everyone seems to use it in the way that you did. The actual meaning is "next-to-last", rather than just being a cooler way to say ultimate. I'm just a bit of a dick about stuff like that (see also: using "ignorant" to mean "stupid" or "mean", which is actually often more ignorant than whatever act the speaker is describing), though I try to be good natured about pointing it out. It's the repeat and habitual language offenders you need to look out for. :shifty:

Majora's Mask was hard? i think i last played it like 12 years ago so obviously i don't remember it so well but i definitely beat it, and beat it thoroughly, doing all the optional/side stuff

I remember almost 100%'ing Majora's Mask, but there were ultimately a few side-quests i couldn't complete. None of the Zelda games are especially difficult, but Majora is probably one of the more challenging outings. Still, when people bitch about it being hard, i think it usually just comes down to most people not taking the time pressure in that game seriously, and then just going "fuck this game" when they run into the limit and have to restart whatever they were doing.

also I don't see a rerelease happening. I know nintendo love to make money on old games, but they've neglected that game pretty hardcore since its release.

Majora is one of the most divisive games among fans, but Nintendo has never neglected it, it's already been re-released both on the Gamecube and again on the Virtual Console. If the 3DS remake of Ocarina does well, Majora's Mask is an obvious place to go next.

Microsoft announcing Halo 4 for 360 in 2012 probably means we're going be playing 360 games until 2014 at least.

A (slightly difficulty-adjusted) 3DS remake of Majora's Mask is ever so much above my desire to see Wind Waker finally finished instead of the compromised game that we eventually got.

I remember almost 100%'ing Majora's Mask, but there were ultimately a few side-quests i couldn't complete. None of the Zelda games are especially difficult, but Majora is probably one of the more challenging outings. Still, when people bitch about it being hard, i think it usually just comes down to most people not taking the time pressure in that game seriously, and then just going "fuck this game" when they run into the limit and have to restart whatever they were doing.

Well, that is 100% not the case with me. I both loved and respected the time limit. What broke the game for me was the (in my opinion) too difficult fish boss in the water temple and one of the optional side quests where you had to defend a ranch from invading aliens. I tried both of these challenges multiple times and came nowhere near defeating them. The level of skill required was way above what I could muster. For the record, I have successfully played and finished virtually all other Zelda games, 2D or 3D. I can say with some certainty that Majora's Mask is way more challenging, and at those two points vexingly difficult, than other games. That may make me less of a proficient gamer than you obviously were, but there is most definitely a big spike there in difficulty that Nintendo would do well to address before any rerelease.

Sorry if this sounded a little snippy.

I actually finished every single side quest in Majora, but the boss of the last temple was such a pain that I had to go back 5 years later to actually see the end of that game. Agreed that a 3D-ified remake of Majora would be a fantastic thing to do though. I want to replay that game in the worst way, and trying to do so with a classic controller on the Wii, while fine, just doesn't quite feel right somehow.