Sign in to follow this  
Sno

E3 2K11

Now that was a nice failure from the band during Shigsy's speech.

But the Zelda intro was awesome!

Now that was a nice failure from the band during Shigsy's speech.

But the Zelda intro was awesome!

Shit I thought this thing started at noon? Why didnt I look for myself, I knew they were always early on the westcoast! lol.

Hahah, Reggie Fils-Aime, the president of United States of America.

That's how I read it. :tup:

Also Luigi's Mansion 2! :tup:

EDIT: Weird controller, but seems to get a lot of 3rd party support this time. Also EA is coming with big guns.

Have to see how this thing goes in the end.

I saw Kirby on the end screen with the logos. Hopefully they will show more of that if that's the Wii game that's supposed to come out.

Edited by Kolzig

GAH. I finally get into the IGN live video and see... Reggie saying goodbye. WELL DONE ME.

Um, so that Nintendo stuff looks totally awesome right? [/seeking approval for excitement]

I know it's Kotaku, but if you never watched the conference (I didn't) then it's worth seeing so you can check the Zelda demo running in real time; http://kotaku.com/5809555/zelda-games-on-wii-u-could-look-this-stunning I remember being excited for the potential of the Wii only to end up massively disappointed - particularly when I saw the price - so I'm a little hesitant here, but yeah... excitement...

:woohoo:

Or not. I'll wait and see what the hivemind thinks.

I thought they showed off some pretty cool looking 3DS games.

The new Super Mario game looks very slick, like they're trying to do classic side-scrolling Mario stages, just with added depth.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is not unwelcome, i know a bunch of people who will be incredibly stoked to see that happening.

I think Kid Icarus: Uprising continues to look completely insane and possibly very amazing.

Also - Free Four Swords for erebodeh!

That Wii U... Sure... Alright... I guess...

As i said in another thread - I got the impression they don't really have many cogent ideas about what the tablet controller really even means for the system, they just want to shove it out there and see what happens with it.

I think it's too early to make any real judgements on that hardware though, a lot of the important details were absent from that press briefing, it was all about the controller.

I think we should use the Steam chat room more often. I may start dropping in occasionally to see if someone's there, particularly while E3 is still going on and there's still news every day.

I think we should use the Steam chat room more often. I may start dropping in occasionally to see if someone's there, particularly while E3 is still going on and there's still news every day.

Yeah, I had a great time.

Four Swords Adventure is potentially an amazing thing. It was free, wasn't it? This will make the 3DS extremely awesome. It can't come quick enough!

-9r6J0b-2BI

Been waiting so long for this.

It's been finally confirmed as one of the games in Microsoft's Summer of XBLA line-up.

It's supposed to be a Metroidvania-style game. Open-ended environments, puzzles, and action.

Except it's incredibly beautiful, and you're a UFO.

I had a terrible realization during todays Nintendo conference (other than that I am bitter as fuck). All of the people in those conferences are either journalists, or industry people. Which means a bunch of mid-20s to late-whatevers just cheered for Zelda and Pokemon like a clutch of retarded baby birds screaming for a worm.

Argh. Someone find a cure for cynicism please.

I had a terrible realization during todays Nintendo conference (other than that I am bitter as fuck). All of the people in those conferences are either journalists, or industry people. Which means a bunch of mid-20s to late-whatevers just cheered for Zelda and Pokemon like a clutch of retarded baby birds screaming for a worm.

Argh. Someone find a cure for cynicism please.

Are you saying you wouldn't be cheering if Miyamoto was presenting to you about Zelda? Really?

For the people who were in that audience, i don't think the obligation to provide sensible and objective coverage of the event means that they should have to completely divest themselves of being completely fucking excited and passionate about video games. Why would they even be there doing that job?

Are you saying you wouldn't be cheering if Miyamoto was presenting to you about Zelda? Really?

For the people who were in that audience, i don't think the obligation to provide sensible and objective coverage of the event means that they should have to completely divest themselves of being completely fucking excited and passionate about video games. Why would they even be there doing that job?

I'm not saying that they have no right to be interested in video games. But some of the stuff that people cheered for in the Microsoft and Nintendo conferences was stupid.

And no, I wouldn't be remotely excited. If you'd be in the chat this morning, you would have noticed I have an utter, seething dislike for Mario and Zelda, and the Wii U could possibly be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I could be entirely wrong on the Wii U, and I almost hope I will be, but no-one can deny by this point that Nintendo gets away with a metric ton of bullshit. (Re-releasing Zelda again, and again, and again, and still making money off of it, is the primary offender there.)

As a huge Nintendo fanboy, I believe the handbook says I must now challenge you to a duel. You're lucky I'm so lazy.

I can see not being that into the mechanics of Mario and Zelda, but they're always such damn polished games that I can't quite get actively disliking them if you're remotely interested in the genres that they're in. Care to elaborate on why you have an "utter, seething dislike" rather than just being uninterested? The internet may make me sound sarcastic here, but I am genuinely curious.

As a huge Nintendo fanboy, I believe the handbook says I must now challenge you to a duel. You're lucky I'm so lazy.

I can see not being that into the mechanics of Mario and Zelda, but they're always such damn polished games that I can't quite get actively disliking them if you're remotely interested in the genres that they're in. Care to elaborate on why you have an "utter, seething dislike" rather than just being uninterested? The internet may make me sound sarcastic here, but I am genuinely curious.

You're half on the money, which means I get to keep it, shove off. :grin:

You're right in that I don't enjoy the mechanics of Zelda and Mario. In the case of Mario, my timing-based reflexes and hand-eye coordination mean platformers are never something I have been/will be good at. I can appreciate that they might be fun if I was good at them, but even then, it just seems like a lot of the same stuff in the Mario games everyone has always gone crazy about. Jump Bullet Bill, hit Koopa on way down, double jump for mushroom, repeat to Bowser.

As for Zelda, it's kind of odd actually. I've recently started playing NetHack, and there are some vague and some potent similarities between the isometric/3d Zelda era and roguelikes. But it bothers me, much like JRPGs bother me. The story has never interested me, and in fact, again like JRPGs, is trite and tiresome. I can happily acknowledge that there are some really neat aspects of Zelda, but the Mario problem comes back around. It all boils down to the same shebang in almost every Zelda game. (Four Swords obviously excepted, I'm sure there's a Zelda game I don't know enough about.)

I'm not saying that they have no right to be interested in video games. But some of the stuff that people cheered for in the Microsoft and Nintendo conferences was stupid.

There wasn't exactly riotous applause for anything at any of those press briefings, and the crowd was actually booing some of the things going on at the Sony briefing. What do you really expect? Do you expect the audience to be completely stoic and silent?

and the Wii U could possibly be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I could be entirely wrong on the Wii U, and I almost hope I will be, but no-one can deny by this point that Nintendo gets away with a metric ton of bullshit.

Compared to how insane and weird the Wii seemed, i don't see what's even that odd about the Wii U. They have some big lofty ill-formed ideas about how they want developers and gamers to use that dumb tablet controller, but they're also creating a console more in line with the competition, that is more favorable to cross-platform development. This is significantly less crazy than the Wii was.

(Re-releasing Zelda again, and again, and again, and still making money off of it, is the primary offender there.)

Comments like this make me just completely crazy, this sentiment is such a pet peeve of mine. Ok, hey, the last major Zelda game? Five years ago. Before that? Nine years. Yeah. Handheld games? Two in the last six years. This is not exactly eleven Call of Duty games in eight years.

Those games are all original, there is scarcely anything similar about Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, let alone crazy spin-offs like Four Swords. There is more different between any two games in that series than there is in, lets say, any of the Half-Life games. Hell, Half-Life 2 even just has all the same weapons as Half-Life 1, Valve is clearly lazy and horrible for not completely reinventing their toolbox.

It's a ubiquitous and long-running series, so there are a lot of Zelda games, but the idea that Nintendo just keeps constantly releasing the same games over and over is a inscrutable and engrained fallacy. Oh hey, but Ocarina of Time is being remade for the 3DS, so that's clearly the exception that proves the rule. (You know, because no company should ever be able to leverage their existing back library of games, those games should always remain buried, and services like GoG should all be shut down.)

I mean, you're welcome to hate Nintendo and their games as much as you want, opinions are great. Just... Eghh... Have a better argument for it, that's what i'm saying.

Just going to duck and cover, but "scarcely anything similar about Wind Waker and Twilight Princess,"

Eh, really? I mean conceptually yes, but zelda is a pretty formulaic game with its design, pacing, and mechanics at this point.

Anyway, besides that, I just realized that by making another platform that is easy for developers to port to just makes developing games that much more expensive and a big cluster fuck; damn you Nintendo for wanting to enter a competative space again!

So now when Im making a game, I need an xbox kit, a ps3 kit and a wiiu kit, I have to make sure my textures aren't flickering or some shit on all three of these, then some poor ass developer has to see how three different motion controls or whatever console specific gimmick mechanic works on each system.

What a nightmare, bad enough we had two to deal with. Hey Sega, maybe you want in on this? Dreamcastoo? Come on!

I'm being absurd of course, but it is kind of a pain in the butt.

Yes, it's incredibly excessive hyperbole to say they're "just releasing Zelda again and again" but you cannot tell me it hasn't been done on every new Nintendo system just so they can say "we have a game, give us money!"

I have my skepticism about the Wii U and will keep it until everything isn't just tech demos. There's no real way to explain how I feel about that.

And Murdoc, thank the gods, I thought I was going insane. "Zelda has a rich, complex world that changes with every game!" :deranged:

Edited by Orvidos

... but "scarcely anything similar about Wind Waker and Twilight Princess,"

Eh, really? I mean conceptually yes, but zelda is a pretty formulaic game with its design, pacing, and mechanics at this point.

Of course, but we're talking about sequels within a given series, it can be assumed that there are going to be consistent elements throughout. The point, i guess, is that relative to how much any other series would typically change from game to game, i think Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are pretty dramatically different games. Or how about the differences between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask? For two games that share assets and an engine, it is crazy how different those games are.

Sno, do you just like arguing?

If you mean i like to discuss and debate, then yeah, i do. I want to hear people's opinions, i want to better understand the ways people think about this medium. I'm not doing this to be confrontational or contrarian, and i'm not trolling you or anything so juvenile. I mean If you really have a problem with this, just say so and you will be avoided.

Comments like this make me just completely crazy, this sentiment is such a pet peeve of mine. Ok, hey, the last major Zelda game? Five years ago. Before that? Nine years. Yeah. Handheld games? Two in the last six years. This is not exactly eleven Call of Duty games in eight years.

I agree with the part that the Zelda mechanics being used over and over again are part of the draw. They just feel so nice.

But... I think you jumped from Majora's Mask to Twilight Princess there and missed Wind Waker if I'm reading your timeline correctly.

If you mean i like to discuss and debate, then yeah, i do. I want to hear people's opinions, i want to better understand the ways people think about this medium. I'm not doing this to be confrontational or contrarian, and i'm not trolling you or anything so juvenile. I mean If you really have a problem with this, just say so and you will be avoided.

No, no, no need for that. You just seem to spark disagreements, but I may be reading into that from the wrong angle. (And damn, that sounds like I'm trying to start something, and it's not. I can't think of a better way to phrase it.)

I may consider, at some point in the future, maybe this year, emulating a few Zelda games and having my way with them. :deranged: It might be interesting to go back with a bit of hindsight and extended knowledge.

That said, my points two posts (of mine) ago remain.