Sign in to follow this  
Sno

E3 2K11

Heh. Goldeneye wasn't originally planned to have multiplayer, the 9 guys working on it in the back room of Rare built it completely without permission, it's lucky it is in the final product at all.

Wow. That's bonkers. Those guys changed gaming.

I'm rubbish at PD multiplayer. A chum still likes to wind me up by whispering "VengeSim is right behind youuuuuu."

Guys, really?

Goldeneye always seemed completely absurd to me, watching it as a relative outsider while immersed in the PC FPS scene. I had already spent a couple years playing Quake online before Goldeneye even came out and people started losing their minds over its split-screen multiplayer.

I can at least understand and appreciate people being amazed with Goldeneye for a lot of the foundational work it did in establishing shooters on consoles, but... Eggh...

I'd like to hear somebody defend that game though, actually justify it. I don't think it's likely we'll come to an agreement on it, but i'd like to try and understand what people really see in it, if not simple first-time nostalgia.

I hope i'm not picking a fight, i'm not trying to. I think i'm being amicable here, but i've definitely had people explode at me for not properly appreciating Goldeneye.

It's also a bit sad to notice that all the enemies are 100% clones of one another, wearing identically torn and soiled rags. Funny how advanced Goldeneye still is in some respects in 2011.

?

Wow. That's bonkers. Those guys changed gaming.

Enjoy http://www.zoonami.com/briefing/2004-09-02.php

Further off topic:

I don't think the single player of Goldeneye gets enough recognition. It's rubbish to play now, but it did lots of nice stuff that was forgotten when Half Life (or as I like to call it: The Bastard Cancer) stole the show and almost everybody copied that instead and continue to do so to this day.

More Goldeneye coolness:

-The missions were quite demanding and often quite large and non-linear with lots of little objectives. The difficulty levels made the missions simpler or more complicated rather than the usual methods. Structurally it wasn't much like any of the other fields of first person game at the time that people remember.

-The levels felt like actual places, because they were built pseudo-realistically then adapted as levels. It worked well and felt very much unlike the vast majority of other shooters.

?

4 different heads is better than 1

Goldeneye always seemed completely absurd to me, watching it as a relative outsider while immersed in the PC FPS scene. I had already spent a couple years playing Quake online before Goldeneye even came out and people started losing their minds over its split-screen multiplayer.

Goldeneye multiplayer was great at the time because it was so goofy and there were so many options and modes. Nobody will argue that it's particularly well designed. Nobody played it competetively.

If you were playing quake online before 1997 then you're well before the Goldeneye generation.

Edited by Raff

If you were playing quake online before 1997 then you're well before the Goldeneye generation.

You're just making assumptions. I was a horrible kid with unmonitored internet access and nothing else to do. :yep:

yeah goldeneye's real innovation wasn't "revolutionizing first person shooters" or anything, it was that it let you make totally absurd gametypes like slappers/proximity mines only and play it with 3 of your best friends in the same room. i played quake quite a bit around the same time and both were great fun but for totally different reasons.

when you're dicking around with friends for fun and not competition, you can go wild and play with silly rules. it was maybe the single best party (video) game of the 90s.

Perfect Dark is still my favorite multiplayer experience ever, due to the customization (especially the sims). Only the Timesplitters games (a lot of the same guys) have come close.

Guys, really?

I can at least understand and appreciate people being amazed with Goldeneye for a lot of the foundational work it did in establishing shooters on consoles, but... Eggh...

I'd like to hear somebody defend that game though, actually justify it. I don't think it's likely we'll come to an agreement on it, but i'd like to try and understand what people really see in it, if not simple first-time nostalgia.

I hope i'm not picking a fight, i'm not trying to. I think i'm being amicable here, but i've definitely had people explode at me for not properly appreciating Goldeneye.

?

You couldn't have spent a couple of years playing Quake: Goldeneye 1997, Quake 1996. Goldeneye introduced so many people to multiplayer shooters, if you didn't play it at the time with 3 friends crowded around a tiny CRT TV after school you will never get it. Later this lead to Halo, which along with Splitscreen also had system link allowing bigger games. Halo and Goldeneye are some of my most played games ever because of this.

So I'm going to go with "you weren't there man"

So if a bunch of us are gonna watch the conferences, then let's watch them together! Who is up for that?

So if a bunch of us are gonna watch the conferences, then let's watch them together! Who is up for that?

I am, only really interested in MS and EA though.

Guys, really?

Huh. I don't remember saying I enjoyed GoldenEye... I actually despised it, especially the multiplayer. I'd been playing every kind of PC shooter, including Quake III online, when I finally played GE... and I hated the controls and the tiny screens and everything about it.

But that doesn't mean it didn't change gaming. For lots of people that was their first experience of multi-player shooters, and they loved it. To them it was a revolution, and I think it opened the doors to console shooters and console multiplayer gaming.

(Of course, I should admit that I totally sucked at GE, and consistently came in last during any MP play.... so that didn't help my enjoyment any, either.)

That would be totally cool. Skype or chat or what?

Maybe we could do a steam group chat or something. Maybe we could use the Idle Thumbs group chat thingy. No one ever uses that.

Maybe we could do a steam group chat or something. Maybe we could use the Idle Thumbs group chat thingy. No one ever uses that.

I am totally up for a steam group chat.

It's now in exactly an hour and 30 minutes, so I think so?

It's now in exactly an hour and 30 minutes, so I think so?

Wicked. Catch you guys online in an hour at 5:15.

Gonna be busy writing news for our site, but would love to join to hear the funnny Thumb remarks.

Bah. I'm stuck at work with only an iPhone for Internet, so I guess I will miss the fun. If you decide to do the drinking game, guys, have a designated spotter.

Wicked. Catch you guys online in an hour at 5:15.

I don't think you're old enough to say wicked.

Bah. I'm stuck at work with only an iPhone for Internet, so I guess I will miss the fun. If you decide to do the drinking game, guys, have a designated spotter.

You can watch it: http://xbox.mobi

For clarity sakes, everyone can join the group chat at their leisure. You can join by either going to your friends list, joining from there, or go to the Idle Thumbs steam group page.

unled2dy.png