BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I wonder what steps are taken (and how much trouble it is) to make sure that things like swear words don't show up in random codes.

Argh, 3d world is such a good game. It's completely distracted me from mario kart. I'm normally useless at 3d platforms, but this game feels so well designed. I had a little coop fun with my girlfriend's room mate and despite never playing it before he picked up a motion plus controller and did fine.

I do hope the difficulty goes up a bit though. I'm on world 3 and I'm finding some stages too easy.

If your NNID is linked to a 3ds as well, do virtual console purchases exist on both the devices or are they locked to the one you purchased it on?

If your NNID is linked to a 3ds as well, do virtual console purchases exist on both the devices or are they locked to the one you purchased it on?

The latter, unfortunately. Though if you had a Wii, you can transfer all your Wii data over and upgrade any applicable VC games to their native Wii U form for a deep discount.

MK8 has improved the grind somewhat as completing a cup on 150cc also gives you the same cup for the lower cc's. If that makes sense. Of course I found this out after I'd done 100cc. XD

Can you play 4 player on Super Circuit? I didn't think you could. :/

So playing 150CC unlocks everything from the lower cups? Now that's what I call next-gen! ;) Seriously, that's an excellent feature!

4 player was possible on Super Circuit if you had the gear. I didn't.

I played MK8 at a demo station a couple of days ago. I went round Mario Circuit twice. Nintendo have pulled off a weird trick that makes my brain put it into the 'BEST GRAFX EVA!!!11' category. I know stuff looked this good years ago on 360/PS3, and I know the Xbone and PS4 could do it in their sleep...but...

They're pulling some black magic here. My head KNOWS it's not, but my gut says this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. How are they doing that? Simple art direction? Is it because I don't get a boner over particle effects or I've been spoiled with what's being squeezed out of last-gen consoles? Am I just lapping up HD Nintendo after 8 years in the (dry dry) desert? They exited the graphics race and now they've psyched me with, of all things, MARIO KART??  :blink:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/10/5796862/nintendo-gamecube-controller-bundle-coming-this-holiday-season

SSB Wii U + SSB-branded GC controller + controller hub - $99

GC Controller - $29

Hub - $19

The hub is appropriately priced, but I can't help but feel the GC controller is priced a little steeply. Paying $130 to guarantee a good SSB 2-player experience is a bit wild.

No price drop?

NFC figurines make sense, but doubling down on your quirkiness isn't likely to help you win back the portion of the audience that, you know, buys systems.

Sounds like someone's finally using the WiiU tablet for something unique, I'm all for that. Now the only question is if I'll be able to use my GC controllers for anything besides SSB. Nintendo definitly has me interested.

Open-world Zelda with laser octoroks and laser-tipped arrows? #zeldaskyrim? Nintendo wins, hands-down. I will almost certainly sooner buy a Wii U than either of the now-gen consoles.

No price drop?

NFC figurines make sense, but doubling down on your quirkiness isn't likely to help you win back the portion of the audience that, you know, buys systems.

I don't know, Skylanders sold loads. This looks like it does more than just be an additional character in a game. Plus the figurines actually look quite nice, apart from maybe DK, and link doesn't have a face (which I guess is because it's a prototype). Plus the way it sits on that gamepad square thing that I've always wondered what it's there for seems like they've been planning it ever since they pushed out the controller. And it's cross games too? Sounds pretty great to me.

The thing is that Skylanders is a game.  Disney Infinity is a game.  These things tie into a game, but they have no game of their own.  You either need to make a whole lot of games that support it, make them really cheap, or make them super high quality so that they work as something more than an NFC tag.  Hopefully all of these happen.

I'd be surprised if Nintendo doesn't announce an Amiibo game along with the figurines. But I could be wrong. I would probably get some of the figurines anyway as they look quite nice.

Also, I didn't quite get this, but do you have to put that figurine on the pad all the time? coz putting it on the wiiU controller and playing smash would be a balancing act of near impossibility. Also the fights where it was demoed was always 1v1. So I'm guessing it's either a VS option or only available with 2 fighters. Seems like a bit of a dick move just to be able to summon an ally at a time of need. And especially if he's a high level.

Presumably since it uses NFC, once it reads the tag it won't have to stay in constant contact.  What I'm wondering is if this is going to be broken and pirated because it uses a publicly available, non-proprietary technology.  I have several NFC tags around my house and work.  Could I simply program one of them to emulate a figure? 

Yeah, so I'm also in the E3 made me want an WiiU camp.

The Mario Kart 8 offer that gives you a free game will still go for a month or two, right? I might be able to afford a WiiU by then, or worst case scenario, I buy MK 8 and then the WiiU when I have more money?

I couldn't find a Mario Kart 8 thread so.... If I'm semi-decent at the Sonic All-Star Racing games, do I stand a chance at Mario Kart? Maybe I should by another bundle and then look for a demo before buying it. :|

Absolutely, Sonic ASRT is a good primer for Mario Kart; the games are very similar and equal in their arcade gameplay. Which is another way of saying that Sonic was an excellent Mario Kart clone and you should feel right at home.

Presumably since it uses NFC, once it reads the tag it won't have to stay in constant contact. What I'm wondering is if this is going to be broken and pirated because it uses a publicly available, non-proprietary technology. I have several NFC tags around my house and work. Could I simply program one of them to emulate a figure?

NFC tags are really just pointers, usually to web addresses. I'd imagine that each sold figure has a unique tag that can only be used once, in that it's tied to some kind of account once used.

What exactly is Devil's Third? The name implies it's a sequel, but I have no clue what it would be a sequel to. 

Also, wow, looks like Nintendo released the Wii U a couple of years prematurely. Imagine the difference if they had had SM3DW and MK8 in the release window, with both Zeldas (well Hyrule Warriors, which personally I think looks fun as hell), SSB and all the crap they've got now coming out the year after. It would have changed the story entirely.