BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Devil's Third is the new game from Tomonobu Itagaki who was the lead behind modern Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 2. It's not a sequel to anything so, outside of whatever in-game explanation there is, maybe he considers it his third game in that style?

At least it was new when it was announced as a 360/PS3 game in 2009. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because NG was fantastic and the trailer looks goofy and fun but the gameplay they showed on IGN was pretty shoddy.

While it's likely that we'll get a Skylander/Amiibo styled game, I wonder if it also means that some of these will get a WiiU game? Like Animal Crossing WiiU?

NFC tags are really just pointers, usually to web addresses. I'd imagine that each sold figure has a unique tag that can only be used once, in that it's tied to some kind of account once used.

They don't necessarily have to point to a web address (the ones around my house/work/car control my phone without connecting to the internet) but using it like that would be a good way to counter my idea.

Devil's Third looks like a Duke Nukem game except significantly less stupid, and I have a soft spot for games that are channeling the ridiculous beefcake video game protagonist but aren't as goddamn stupid as Duke Nukem chiefly because it lets me fill out a list of games that make Duke Nukem unnecessary. Because it is. John St John still gets plenty of work.

Hmm, with a little luck I might have enough sooner than I thought? I won't need anything else if I just buy the premium pack that comes with MK 8, right? How necessary is the pro controller?

The gamepad alone should be fine; but I personally really, really like the Pro Controller. It's totally worth it if you do decide to get it.

Side note: I realized last night that I haven't had to charge my Pro Controller since November.

Gamepad works great. My partner who never plays games has been hogging my procontroller for MK8 so I've not had a chance to use it. She seems to love it though.

Sweet! And just how many of the WiiU games can be bought digitally? I was looking up the Mario Kart 8 Promo and Pikmin 3 seems to be out of stock everywhere which would make the choice easier, unless I can just buy it digitally?

Then again, I assume you can buy all the games from that list digitally.

Sweet! And just how many of the WiiU games can be bought digitally? I was looking up the Mario Kart 8 Promo and Pikmin 3 seems to be out of stock everywhere which would make the choice easier, unless I can just buy it digitally?

Then again, I assume you can buy all the games from that list digitally.

The only Wii U game I know of that can't be bought digitally (anymore) is Nintendo Land, which is a budget game now anyway.

with the mario kart 8 promo, the free game is downloaded from the store. all you need is to redeem the star catalogue code that's in the Mario Kart 8 box online at club nintendo, or if you bought it on the estore, login to club nintendo with the account that you bought the online MK8 version.

Pikmin 3 is the best option.

I chose Sonic: Lost Worlds, as it was one of the 3 I didn't have. Don't get it. It's super shit. From the story to the gameplay to everything. I thought it would be funny to play a bad game. Even the DLC Nintendo Themed Stages are really poorly implemented. Avoid this game!

If you're not in the US (it's says Spain), it might be worth checking out the wonderful 101 as your free game. It's a tough game to get into mechanically, but it's hella fun. Massive cult following too.

It's what I got! I do like platinum though.

The Wonderful 101 is a game I'll get eventually, if I do get the WiiU (Which I'm pretty sure I will), but Pikmin 3 does seem like a better option since like I said before I can't buy it physically anymore and it probably costs full price digitally? I might be able to get the others cheaper? I assume the digital version costs the same as the retail version, right?

Is Sonic Lost Worlds THAT bad? Sonic 2006 bad, Sonic Unleashed bad or Sonic (insert fairy tales Wii title) bad?

Agreed. Wonderful 101 is brilliant. Although the hammer was really hard to draw. I could never do it right. the transitions of what the game thought you were drawing went: Sword > Gun > Fist > Hammer (for all of 1 second) then back to Fist. I failed so many QTE's and fights in tiny areas where i couldn't draw it properly it just angered me and I quit.

The download code for the free game expires on Sept 30th in PAL countries, not sure about US. Might be something to consider.

It might be kind of nice to have the game for a while without the console. It could recapture that feeling of having a game but not being able to play it yet. DEVOURING the boxart and the manual...

Agreed. Wonderful 101 is brilliant. Although the hammer was really hard to draw. I could never do it right. the transitions of what the game thought you were drawing went: Sword > Gun > Fist > Hammer (for all of 1 second) then back to Fist. I failed so many QTE's and fights in tiny areas where i couldn't draw it properly it just angered me and I quit.

My only "issue" since it's not really an issue, is that no where in the game does it tell you what is weak to what. The first( ?) boss tank thing I found SO hard to kill, then turn the corner and there's 2 of the fuckers at the same time! Made me realise it must have a weakness of some sort, but the game doesn't tell you shit. Really can't wait to dig deeper into TW101. 

I only did that once, I owned Maniac Mansion before owning a PC, but by "sacrificing" some games for store credit (I won't miss the Sonic Wii games, Castlevania Judgement,etc, etc...) I think I could afford the WiiU pretty soon?

Pushmo World looks adorable! And available in a week?! :o (They're demo-ing it on Nintendo's stream right now)

My only "issue" since it's not really an issue, is that no where in the game does it tell you what is weak to what. The first( ?) boss tank thing I found SO hard to kill, then turn the corner and there's 2 of the fuckers at the same time! Made me realise it must have a weakness of some sort, but the game doesn't tell you shit. Really can't wait to dig deeper into TW101. 

one of the power ups is to turn to jelly. Use the jelly to counter attack when a shell flies your way or they charge into you. Then attack their sweet sweet under belly. I think the jelly might be a powerup you have to get at the shop. If you didn't get it, it would be quite confusing to know what to do. It was one of the first things I bought, as I've always thought it was a good idea to master counter attacks in Platinum's games early. XD

I think I'm done with Super Mario 3D World. That game gets so frustratingly bullshit hard at the end. I beat every level except for

, and got the gold flagpole and all green stars for each. To unlock the final world, I'd have to do it again with every character. Fuck that.

To unlock the final world, I'd have to do it again with every character. Fuck that.

Wow, really? That's awful.

I know, right? Even as someone who 100%ed absolutely everything in Super Mario 3D Land including beating the whole game again with Luigi, I'm not willing to put up with that bullshit.

Wow I find that a kinda dumb choice. I'm going to say I've finished it when I do all the main levels and have all he stars and flag poles. Finishing it 4 times is ridiculous.

Is it not just sprinting through the levels with all four characters? That sounds doable but boring.

Whaa? I unlocked the Final World without playing it all it with every character. Are you sure you're not missing a Stamp somewhere?

I felt the opposite.. As someone who never 100% anything, it was an absolute blast to get everything to unlock the Final World. There was one level that was just bullshit.. a Pirahna Plant Fire Flower level..

I'm not going to 100% it, because that requires me to beat that absolute last level, which is just a brutal brutal thing.. But up until that I thought the difficulty was exactly right for me.

Sorry to bother you with these question, but it looks like might be able to get a WiiU this week with luck, but there is one thing confusing me.... I can't seem to find additional gamepads, I expect they much be super expensive and most of the cost of the WiiU, but what do you if I want to play couch co-op? Do any of the games work with Wii controllers or do I have to buy a pro pad?

All the information I can find is about the Wii accessories compatible with the WiiU and about the Pro Controller.

Oh man, I just remembered the horror stories I used to hear of transferring your Wii data to the WiiU and losing everything.... that doesn't happen anymore, right? D: