BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Additional gamepads aren't available. They may come out in the future but no software supports it. Couch co-op comes with one person on the TV, one on the pad, but it depends on the game. Different games have different options but Wiimotes are pretty integral to the system. Most first party games support everything but double check.

The transfer process is supposed to be painless now, but I've heard horror stories about things like Rock Band DLC. With the WiFi servers now gone be careful if you have any DLC that wasn't purchased directly from the Wii Shop.

They've said they plan to allow 2 pads later, but at the moment neither games nor firmware support it so they haven't been selling them.

Yeah, you definitely don't need to complete every level with every character in 3D World to unlock the final world. You do need every available flagpole, coin and stamp though.

It's worth it, although I don't think tegan will respond favourably to the final level!

Yeah, you definitely don't need to complete every level with every character in 3D World to unlock the final world. You do need every available flagpole, coin and stamp though.

I assume you mean star not coin. And damn! I've not been worrying about the stamps thinking they were superfluous to the unlocking of things. I'll have to go back and grab them stamps then. 

Yeah, the ones in the levels themselves are required to unlock the last world. There are some extra stamps you can get besides those, that are unimportant, but those require playing levels with all characters, I think..

God guys, be quiet. I am GAGGING for this game. :sad:

I assume you mean star not coin. And damn! I've not been worrying about the stamps thinking they were superfluous to the unlocking of things. I'll have to go back and grab them stamps then. 

I was even going to call them star coins like the NSMB ones. Wrong all the time.

Although maybe someone will read that, panic and try to collect every coin in every level. That would be worthwhile.

9YjwEgT.jpg

I ended up beating that one level! I had to do it twice. The first time I got all the stars, but mis-timed my jump onto the flagpole. I did the last Captain Toad stage, so I guess all that's left to do now is that thirty-star Mystery House (fuuuuuuck that) and the real actual final level. Dunno if I'll go whole hog and finish every level with every character or not, though I did finish every level from the first world and then some with every character.

Hey, well done. The last Mystery House is really long but really fun. The last level is really frustrating but actually simple and also fun.

Apparently Nintendo stealth-released Pac-Land on the Wii U VC.. :o

I just realized I have no idea what on the WiiU's VC.... Earthbound? I did some are sale because of E3.

I'm almost positive I'll get the WiiU tomorrow with the Mario Kart option and apart from the free game (which will be Pikmin), I think I'll get Super Mario 3D Land?

OK, I finally have my WiiU were Pikmin are transporting my Wii data at this moment!

Is the SD card slot used ONLY for Wii games? Maybe I should use one for my Wii games to save space? I did get the Premium version with Mario Kart 8, so I guess it will last for a while.

I also got Cat Suit 3D World and I'm hoping to get NES Remix as my first WiiU eShop purchase? 

I'm not sure if I got the Premium thing, but if I rack up 500 points I get a 5€ discount, right? 

Damn... Just as I typed this the transfer crashed.... how screwed am I?

EDIT: Nevermind, I unplugged the WiiU and the transfer started from the point it left off!

I also got Cat Suit 3D World and I'm hoping to get NES Remix as my first WiiU eShop purchase? 

I've been playing NES Remix a bit. It's ok, but I'm pretty sure that it's overpriced for what it is. If you've got $10 to spend on eShop, buy Earthbound.

Has anyone here hooked up an external HDD to their Wii U yet? I figure I'll need one by the time Smash comes out and I'm not sure what to go with. I figure that a 500GB model should be more than enough, but those are usually portable drives, and I'm not sure if those are okay to use with the Wii U or not since they usually draw power via USB.

I spoke to the guy at the local game store and he said he just plugged a 500gig in via USB and that was that. Not sure if it's true, but it sounds like something nintendo would do. 

On another note: Just finished World 4-3 in SM3DW. It was amazing!

I had no trouble plugging a bus-powered USB drive into a Wii, so I imagine there should be no problem doing the same with a Wii U.

But what about the SD cards are they just used for the Wii? While it's kinda nice I can just pay a small fee to play the WiiU version of a Wii VC game, it's BS that it can't do the same for 3DS games. :|

I'm really loving Super Mario 3D World, mostly because it's Super Mario 3 Part 3. I do have the Plessie levels though.

SD Cards are currently just for Wii mode and transferring photos from Animal Crossing New Leaf into Animal Crossing plaza.

I'm really loving Super Mario 3D World, mostly because it's Super Mario 3 Part 3. I do have the Plessie levels though.

Please explain this. (I haven't played it.)

I assume he meant "hate." Plessie is a Plesiosaur/Yoshi thing that you have to ride down giant sliding courses in some levels.

I hear that NES Remix 2 is way better.

It is. But I can't really say why exactly. The selection of games are maybe a bit later on in the NES's life (Wario's Woods, Punch Out!, Metroid, Dr. Mario to name a few), so maybe it's a bit more enjoyable because they're less known games?

It also comes with super Luigi Bros, which is the first game but with luigi.

I think the difference is is that people knew what to expect when NES Remix 2 came out. I know I was disappointed with the first one because it felt like more of a selection of bits instead of playing the actual game. I was expecting to be able to play the games in full, alongside the mini games.

Thinking about it, maybe that's why 2 is better? The missions are too short in the first one, not satisfying at all? I'm not sure at all tbh.

The first one also requires that you play through Mario Bros (not SUPER Mario Bros. Mario Bros. The one with the enemies coming out of pipes on the sides that you have to flip over from beneath) and that game has some of the most frustratingly awful controls in the history of ever.

Please explain this. (I haven't played it.)

I did misspell "hate" as "have", but if you mean the Mario 3 Part 3, it was pretty obvious that the game takes mostly elements from Super Mario 3 in almost every aspect except now it's 3D. It feels like a Super Mario 3 sequel to me at least, in the same way the 3DS was, which practically spelled it out with the raccoon suit theme?

And yeah, the  Mario Bros. levels in NES Remix were the worst, but at least the game doesn't force you to play all the games, you only need a certain number of stars to unlock the ending, so maybe it's possible to skip one whole game all together?