toblix

GTA V

RDR might have a huge game area, but it's boring as fuck. Just like L.A. Noire, most of the world is boring.

Kotaku got it wrong, House said "Combined" not merged. those boxed need to be next to each other.

Although it is amazing that San andreas is slightly smaller than RDR tbh.

The picture is pretty accurate if one interprets "bigger than" in that statement as "about the same size as".

RDR might have a huge game area, but it's boring as fuck.

No it wasn't. Well, occasionally it did get boring, and occasionally it did feel like getting anywhere took too much time, but it also gave a great feeling of scale and actually being in a big wild world and the landscapes were amazing.

With LA Noire, I agree though -- building that world was a total waste for that game.

But anyway, I'm disappointed that they keep making things bigger -- because I think that pretty much makes it impossible to make them significantly more detailed or simulated or interesting.

Yeah. Sleeping Dogs "Hong Kong" was tiny as compared to GTA IV (I think), but I never felt that the city should have been bigger.

That Kotaku graph is kind of classically missing the point. I'd rather play a game that gave me memorable and well-crafted experiences than an enormous empty world. Which is why my preference of late has been for hub-world type games like Witcher 2, Dishonored and Deus Ex:HR.

Playing Sleeping Dogs now and totally agree btw, the city could be even smaller and I wouldn't notice, since the game seems more focused around its central narrative than the GTA games have traditionally been.

Yeah I said at the top of Page 9, you've got some outdated fanfiction list.

I just did a bit of research and that list I posted was a hoax! Damn, I'm lame for not checking. My bad!

With LA Noire, I agree though -- building that world was a total waste for that game.

It wasn't a total waste, I enjoyed improving my LA geography with its super accurate map :)

Actually, thinking about the dead bodies:

Things that happen every day in L.A, like helping out a broken down motorist, catching a mugger, and figuring out where this pile of dead bodies came from. (?)

How, and why??

Dishonored mini-game?

No it wasn't. Well, occasionally it did get boring, and occasionally it did feel like getting anywhere took too much time, but it also gave a great feeling of scale and actually being in a big wild world and the landscapes were amazing.

But anyway, I'm disappointed that they keep making things bigger -- because I think that pretty much makes it impossible to make them significantly more detailed or simulated or interesting.

Actually, I loved Red Dead Redemption partially for its size. I was severely disappointed by Oblivion and Skyrim for feeling tiny and insignificant. With RDR I had a fun time just wandering around, I don't think I fast travelled once. Same with Just Cause 2. Then again I really like exploration. I expect if you want some more goal oriented gameplay then just wandering through aimless areas is going to get tiring.

But then, I'm also happy they're spending their huge budgets in some other way. 4 was a hundred million dollar game spent mostly on simulating pool in a smokey bar. If I wanted that, I'd go out to play pool in a smokey bar. It's not like I can't do that, or get smashed, or go bowling or something in real life.

They can't really do or simulate anything more or better because of hardware constraints. AI and physics programmers have to fight to scratch anything off the available hardware this generation as it is. The only thing they really even CAN do is make it bigger until hardware becomes more powerful.

@ FreneticPony Skyrim is so densly packed though, with huge vistas. can it really be considered tiny and insignificant compared to RDR?

I feel like the open-world in RDR did for that game what the open-world did for SotC. Sometimes a big empty space is exactly what you need.

Also, Skyrim and Oblivion are absolutely massive compared to RDR.

I've talked to other people before who felt like Skyrim was smaller than it actually was. I think it has something to do with the immediacy of the fast travel and how dense the game is, you never go long without finding something new, there's no trek.

The Guardian interview actually made me more interested again. I still think it will be just like old GTAs, just with multiple player characters, but that can still be fun for hours and hours. And perhaps having proper flight capabilities does necessitate a larger map. If they are making the game as varied as San Andreas was (or even more varied, likely), that might be like the combination best of SA + IV.

What I need from GTA is actually good gameplay. GTAIV relied a lot on it's rubbish shooter mechanics in missions with rubbish AI and boring surroundings. That's what made me burn out on it and stop playing.

Haha, I was thinking Jack Nicholson and Steve Buscemi. Either way, I like him. :D

Close. I was thinking the starved, Nicholsonian brother of the tubby one from Kane & Lynch, Tre Styles from Boyz 'N The Hood if it were made today rather than 20-odd years ago, and someone who looks like De Niro but not enough so that they would become 'a distraction'.

I hope you get to drive trains in this one. That'll be fun

tumblr_m9biqa9Hv41qdpyfdo1_1280.png

But in all seriousness a train heist in the middle of the desert would be cool

RDR might have a huge game area, but it's boring as fuck. Just like L.A. Noire, most of the world is boring.

I, sir, strongly disagree with your words. RDR was the most eventful open world game i have known. i spent 2/3 of that game wondering about and people would come up to me with side missions like the underlying serial killer stuff, or animals.

The knightmare DLC was rife with that. finding a bloke burying his dead sick wife only for her to rise from the grave, he involuntarily shoot her - cry at his actions - and shoot himself , before i could get there to intervene.

But in all seriousness a train heist in the middle of the desert would be cool

Oh yes! And sort of urban, west coast, metro-based tribute to The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974 Matthau / Shaw version) would be cool also.