toblix

GTA V

"Rockstar is leveraging cinematic tricks learned from Max Payne 3."

:barf:

I myself am looking forward to "Rockstar Presents: The Making of Grand Theft Auto V trailer series, Part 1- Power, Emotion and Technique in Storytelling"

Oooh, I was browsing on my mobile earlier, so I didn't realize TP linked to The Day Today. That and Brass Eye are absolutely genius, but perhaps a bit much to ask for background chatter in a game. It's rare enough in television -- I don't know of anything as good after Brass Eye ended.

I think "satire" is a catch-all that A LOT of people use to get away with being really unfunny. It's impossible to draw the line on when you're watching smart comedy or dumb comedy, and it always comes down to "one man's trash is another man's treasure" where I can easily find people who think Look Around You is just stupid.

...obviously GTA has the TWAT internet cafe, so that's an easy one, but y'know it's an interesting point to think about.

Oooh, I was browsing on my mobile earlier, so I didn't realize TP linked to The Day Today. That and Brass Eye are absolutely genius, but perhaps a bit much to ask for background chatter in a game. It's rare enough in television -- I don't know of anything as good after Brass Eye ended.

The reason The Day Today (and Brass Eye for that matter -- but that's different) ended is simply because they'd done what they'd set out to do. They could have easily kept writing it, but it wouldn't have been as fresh or as provocative. The humour they produced wasn't particularly difficult, it just hadn't been done before (to that level at least).

Since GTA apparently wants to go down the same path, I thought it was interesting to show an intelligent example.

To be honest, I think it's easily within the grasp of both Houser and Lazlow, but it requires a strong voice, and I don't think either of them know what they're actually trying to say (other than get a laugh by any means possible... and so you have Tw@t Internet Cafe's, Pissweiser Beer, etc. etc.).

Bah, they got pretty tiresome after a while, too. Sometimes you just wanted to be able get somewhere without having to prevent a murder.

I'm pretty sure they're going for more of a Red Dead Redemption feel, which is just fine if you've played that game! Ok, it got repetitive after a while, but it was still fun to have some little thing to accomplish every once in a while thrown at you.

Frankly the game sounds great, even if the story is questionable. Then again it's Rockstar, when isn't their story questionable? I've never played GTA for the story anyway, I played it to run over people and wander around a ridiculously detailed world while listening to funny radio shows. And it sounds like that's going to be out in force this time! Which is much better than the smallish, grungy world of GTA 4 where the cars sucked and I was asked to see "some big, American titties!" every five minutes.

It sounded to me like Rockstar North is actually looking to use the multiple protagonists as a way to embrace all those different gameplay and narrative elements they want to chase, without constantly landing on actions that might be wildly out of character for the protagonist.

That's what i'm hoping for, at least.

Pisswasser was my favourite one. It's like a smooth, relaxing, casual-party beer commercial but with depressing alchoholism lyrics, because that's who's really drinking it.

"Sleep in the bathroom on the floor- what really matters, ANYMORE!?

All the shit ya do all day- who fuckin cares, ANYWAY!?"

It sucks that the lyrics before that are I bought some blow and got so drunk I gave a dude head- which isn't really what drunk people do in real life.

Unless you listen to the actual Lazlow Show, in which you find out that his life really is that crazy.

EDIT-- and then also it's piss? So the tagline is "You're in for a good time"- which if you wanna make the joke that cheap lager tastes like piss, that's not how you make that joke! That's like a MAD Magazine joke. And then what is the Brown-Streak Railroad a satire of?

Quite a few of the radio stations are DJed by famous/sort-of-famous people. For instance, IV had Karl Lagerfield, Juliette Lewis, and Iggy Pop among others.

Yep. But it's clear they're just reading a script.

• The three characters go about their daily business when you're not in control, so you might find them in surprising situations when you take control of them again.
  • The dynamic mission system is similar to that of RDR, examples given include helping broken down motorists, figuring out the cause of a pile of dead bodies, being opportunistic and ripping off cash vans, or being a nice guy and catching muggers.

Those two things sound great independently and together, they could be awesome.

'Figuring out the cause of a pile of dead bodies' sounds like a 'dynamic mission' that's going to pop up a lot, but I feel like it might have a pretty trivial solution.

"Where did all these dead bodies come from?!"

"It was me. The player. I killed them."

MISSION COMPLETE

I didn't see this bullet point yet, but are they also going to bring back "fun" in GTA5?

Actually, thinking about the dead bodies:

Things that happen every day in L.A, like helping out a broken down motorist, catching a mugger, and figuring out where this pile of dead bodies came from. (?)

How, and why??

Although Thunder's list was largely bullshit, does anyone know if any music actually has been announced yet?

Random missions will most likely be great in the richer world of GTA. Want to help a broken-down motorist? Why not tow him off a fuckin' cliff! Pile of dead bodies? Drive through them and spread them all over the road! Someone's mugged an innocent bystander? Chainsaw his fucking face off.

That is crazily big. I haven't had time to look through all this article shit yet, has it been revealed there's more than the one city? One thing I really liked about San Andreas wasn't the multiple cities as such, but the fact there were cute little villages and settlements in the middle of forests and deserts and shit. It felt like so much more a living, breathing world than the other games' seemingly inescapable cities due to the complete variety of environments. If they have snow in there too I'm on the verge of jizzing.

Although Thunder's list was largely bullshit, does anyone know if any music actually has been announced yet?

It was? I think it was all taken from the Game Informer article? What makes you say it's largely bullshit?

Hmmph...

Kotaku got it wrong, House said "Combined" not merged. those boxed need to be next to each other.

Although it is amazing that San andreas is slightly smaller than RDR tbh.

All Skrillex. The classic music station? Skrillex re-mixing Bach. Jazz? Now called Jazzstep. Rock? Rockstep. You'll never escape. Even the DJ is Skrillex. He'll start talking like a DJ, and then drop the bass and just go into wubwubwubwuuuuuwuubwubwub. Heck, even the commercials will be "Have you been feeling irritable, discomforted, tired, or a host of other gene-EEEEEE WUbwuwubwwwwuuuuubbbwubwub

It was? I think it was all taken from the Game Informer article? What makes you say it's largely bullshit?

Yeah I said at the top of Page 9, you've got some outdated fanfiction list.