MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

Better now? It looks like it crashed but didn't terminate. Very helpful of it.

Where is everybody?

It has been quite silent for the past few days.

I've finally found some time for it. Unfortunately, I've also just made the fatal mistake of logging in to Minecraft before cooking dinner...

Good news.

The maze of haunted hill has finally been opened. It takes at least 1 minute to complete the maze. The entrance right in front of the stairs to haunted hill (in the direction of Erwin's castle).

All of the ideas that I have are predicated on less broken mining, less resource duping, etc. Plus the current world is not particularly exciting to me for whatever reason. :tmeh:

Health is Notch's current target of fixing, so we might want to start considering what kind of server we want here.

(Survival/Freebuild)

With the mining, I'm finding that keeping your pick lined up with where the block was for just a little longer makes it disappear permanently, even if it reappears for a fraction of a second.

Not a bad first night's haul: Enough diamonds for a pick and spade, and two stacks of obsidian (no resource duping).

I've just been quietly toiling away on my roller coaster. I just happen to be on primarily at the dead of night.

I got kind of frustrated with the reappearing blocks myself. I'm just biding my time until that gets ironed out. I also need to find better reference material for what I intend to build.I just saw it on the map too, and I'm thinking of relocating it. Lots of wilderness to make use of.

What is the block duplication, is that an exploit? Is that frowned upon in these parts.

I guess this server should remain as a build server, I mean, its got so many creative things going on. A survival server would probably look totally different. It'd be a real pain building aesthetically with the nightly threats of life and limb.

That's not to say a survival server wouldn't be really sweet. It could be about a certain goal that the group must attain, like maybe recreating the "Congrats Nick" sign in pure diamond.

I got kind of frustrated with the reappearing blocks myself. I'm just biding my time until that gets ironed out. I also need to find better reference material for what I intend to build.I just saw it on the map too, and I'm thinking of relocating it. Lots of wilderness to make use of.

What is the block duplication, is that an exploit? Is that frowned upon in these parts.

I guess this server should remain as a build server, I mean, its got so many creative things going on. A survival server would probably look totally different. It'd be a real pain building aesthetically with the nightly threats of life and limb.

That's not to say a survival server wouldn't be really sweet. It could be about a certain goal that the group must attain, like maybe recreating the "Congrats Nick" sign in pure diamond.

I think you're way wrong. The first settlements would be super utilitarian, but then as we build fancier and fancier mines, we would get the opportunity to build fancier and fancier things above ground. And those fancy things would be super impressive, since they're legit. I am a bit bored by the lego with no consequences play. We've all built all kinds of obvious crazy shit. Now we have to up the ante, do it without cheating and without invincibility.

I do think it would add a bit of excitement to have to worry about your mortality while playing. Have built everything that I was thinking of so there is no creative drive anymore. When you are trying to survive I think it will add a fresh utility aspect to the crazy stuff we make.

I guess this server should remain as a build server

Fuck. No. Survival all the way.

I think you're way wrong. The first settlements would be super utilitarian, but then as we build fancier and fancier mines, we would get the opportunity to build fancier and fancier things above ground. And those fancy things would be super impressive, since they're legit. I am a bit bored by the lego with no consequences play. We've all built all kinds of obvious crazy shit. Now we have to up the ante, do it without cheating and without invincibility.

FYI. The Moai from the last world was made without duplicating \o/

In fact, everything I made up to the cinema's cloth screen (it used to be sand) was made without duplicating.

It does give you way more satisfaction when you completed something without duplicating. But I've sinned quite a bit in this world.

I am a bit bored by the lego with no consequences play. We've all built all kinds of obvious crazy shit. Now we have to up the ante, do it without cheating and without invincibility.

This is how I feel, and why I spent a few hours casting and mining obsidian last night (also, figuring out how to cast and harvest from a vein of lava five deep in places was a fairly interesting puzzle).

I think the block duplication is a personal thing. I did it on the last server, and didn't really care when someone frowned on it. I wouldn't frown on anyone else doing it now, but I want to do everything in this world in a more disciplined way.

Fuck. No. Survival all the way.
I disagree, I like the freeform screwing around that build servers give you. :yep:

I disagree, I like the freeform screwing around that build servers give you. :yep:

I've been on various "build" servers since July, survival is where it's at, at this point I have no fear when building massive structures, monsters aren't a bother, it's kind of boring. Minecraft is all about the fear.

i would really have no problem if duplication stopped working, mainly now it's just more of a convenience than anything. it's not like i build with rare materials or anything. if you could reliably hunt creepers for gunpowder you wouldn't need to dupe tnt either.

basically, if things worked the way they're supposed to, duping wouldn't even be necessary.

I've been on various "build" servers since July, survival is where it's at, at this point I have no fear when building massive structures, monsters aren't a bother, it's kind of boring. Minecraft is all about the fear.

yep. and my house could easily be modified to be a self-sustainable ecosystem, safe from monsters. i've done it in SP games, same blueprints. i never have to leave my house to get wood or food, and monsters can't get me there. i'd be excited to have that in a MP situation

I'm for survival. Otherwise, what's the point of not duping? Not that I know how to regardless. Plus I like the idea of forming warbands to go exploring. It seems like it'd force community action and cooperation.

I'm for survival. Otherwise, what's the point of not duping? Not that I know how to regardless. Plus I like the idea of forming warbands to go exploring. It seems like it'd force community action and cooperation.

This.

I'd love to see what sort of sprawling communal anti-zombie fortress the Thumbs could build together.

Yeah, the super-awesome creative stuff is great and all, but we could do that with monsters, and then it would be even more awesome in my opinion. Having people guard the construction/come vaulting down from the upper levels of a work-site to battle monsters, etc.

I haven't had time to play much Minecraft lately but I'm for survival server too.

I guess my opinions are formed by my playing the game primarily as survival single player. Right around when the monster spawns got tweaked for the worse, I found an incredible underwater cave entrance, I think I posted about it earlier, and I switched from normal to peaceful so that I could modify it to my liking. I think it took 10 in game day/night cycles to complete and it was a pleasant break from my other three projects, just to be able to have an idea and see it straight through. I probably would have done it on normal too if it hadn't been my first time dealing with the odd complexities of water.

You all seem to have gotten bored of free build right when I was introduced to it. Survival would be cool. It'd be neat to spawn and see an objective posted on a sign board and collaborate on things. Heck, I had fun just stocking up and organizing some of the boxes in the community center.

Would simply switching on monsters in this current world be kind of like cheating though? There are plenty of safe places and a lot of buildings would be pretty safe with minor modifications. I do realize abandoning everything would be tough too.

Maybe move the spawn way off into the wilderness so that returning to the settlement and building safe transportation becomes an early objective.