Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Oh cool, it's out! I'm not all that fussed about Miiverse generally, but at least it's a step towards someday having the potential for a sensible unified account system. I'm also looking forward to being able to take and upload screenshots from any game.

Also, from the patch notes:

Changed the start-up method of Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu to require pressing the L and R Buttons simultaneously

Sweet. I never, ever use the camera, but I'm forever hitting one of those buttons accidentally.

This NNID thing isn't incredibly clear to me; does this replace the friend code? Does it just provide a name to stamp on your Miiverse posts?

Friend codes still exist for the time being, hopefully they'll phase them out unless there's some reason they can't. NNID provides a Miiverse profile and is required to use the eShop now, if you have a Wii U too then the two accounts now share the same balance.

My Miiverse profile, I give out Yeahs like candy.

I don't know what the fuss about Miiverse is. Does do an accurate job of reminding me how shitty surfing the internet was twenty years ago when it took forever to load a web page on dial up, and slowly moving around memory intensive apps... Yay Nintendo?

Ah, that's what's going on! I couldn't exactly point out why I didn't want to use Miiverse (which is a good idea for all intents and purposes) until you said how slow it was. I guess I already assumed the WiiU and 3DS as being slow as default so didn't think much of it, but for sure something like Miiverse needs better loading times to be successful. And it's not my connection this time, that's for sure, just upgraded.

MBaron, M.Baron, and M-Baron are all taken. God damn

Edit: I can get theIastbaron and in the Nintendo font it looks normal, but I don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole.

Opened my 3DS for the first time in months to register an account and it occurred to me that I've been switching between PAL territories whenever I used the store to find the cheapest prices, now I have to pick one permanently. Anyone have any idea if registering my account to a different country will cause problems? Can I register multiple accounts for different regions on the same console, like you can on Xbox/PS3?

One account per console, and you'll lose any funds you have in other currencies.

I can't believe that I can't register my own account on my wife's 3DS so I can buy Zelda. *sigh*

for sure something like Miiverse needs better loading times to be successful

After using Miiverse on my 3DS exactly once, to post a screenshot from SM3DL, I have to agree. It literally took two or three minutes just to load up Miiverse, post the screenshot, and get back to the game. I understand it's probably tough to fit the client into whatever tiny amount of RAM is reserved for the OS while a game is running, but in its current state I'm just never going to use it again.

By the way, for anyone in PAL regions who's interested in the Guild games, everything bar Aero Porter is 37.5% off until the new year. I just picked up Liberation Maiden for AU$6.50, and I'm vaguely considering Bugs vs. Tanks too. (I already have all the others).

Oh man I've been wanting to get those for ages. Liberation Maiden, Attack of the Friday Monsters and Starship Damrey all sound fantastic.

Speaking of Level 5, I just remembered Fantasy Life was a thing, which I guess has been out for nearly a year now in Japan with no solid news of a western release. I guess this bodes well, though. Oh well, I'll have Rune Factory 4 to tide me over soon enough.

I'm going to drive around this weekend pathetically sitting in the parking lots for Starbucks, Best Buy, McDonald's, and AT&T stores looking for spot passes for that special weekend thing. Otherwise I wouldn't leave the house.

Okay I went to like 8 different locations today and I got six people at the very last one. Way to fucking go Nintendo. I don't know how the Spotpass swapping works but it wasn't anything like that little video of the guy sitting in the cafe with tons of Miis barging in on him. I don't know if maybe it just depends where your location is swapped and maybe I was given a shit swap at every place? Possibly Austin was frequently swapped with Nintendo Zones in Montana? Either way, the last place I got a bunch of people from Michigan and the surrounding area. Hooray I guess? Do they rotate the locations frequently because none of this shit is clear at all?

I might give it another shot tomorrow since I have to buy some Christmas gifts, maybe the second day will bring more luck. This is certainly not anything worth any fucking announcement Nintendo. They should just not do this if they are going to do it that badly. I get more way more passes by just parking in McDonald's and Starbucks lots on normal days.

Working at a starbucks tomorrow. Gonna open my 3DS during all breaks to clear out the Mii updates, then collect more until my next break. Yay!

Now that you say that Miffy, I'm actually curious to see if maybe it works much better if I just sit in one Nintendo Zone spot for hours more than driving to multiples.

So I have two games downloaded on my 3ds and no other demos or dlc. Yesterday I tried to update my mii plaza and didn't have enough blocks. If I want to upgrade the sd card in my system can I just take out the sd card and copy the contents onto a blank sd card and put that into the 3ds?

Yeah!

Just shove that thing into a PC and drag and drop the contents from the old card to the bigger one. Make sure the new card isn't formatted weirdly, make sure you don't disrupt the folder structure, and then it'll be fine. (Probably. Nintendo hardware has been reported to be a bit finicky about the kinds of SD cards it will work smoothly with, mainly causing slower than expected load times. Generally stick to around 32GBs or 64GBs as your upper end and it'll likely be totally fine.)

Just posting to confirm that Liberation Maiden is excellent. Wasn't too challenging on normal but I'm diving right back in on hard because this shit is fuuuuun.

I was really annoyed that the dialogue scenes were unskippable, it's really bothersome if you want to replay the game more than once. (Which, as it's a relatively short and fast-paced action game, you kind of would.)

Otherwise, definitely one of the Guild games that is worth playing.

Oh really? Hmm, might pick it up. I love Attack of the Friday Monsters and picked up Crimson Shroud to help with my looooooong flight home this Friday (as well as Luigi's Mansion). Hmm, on second thought I'm not sure I have the space on my current card. Well, maybe I can erase something. Decisions decisions!

Yep those are a pain in the ass, especially since 90% of them are the same objectives repeated over and over. "Hey a spike popped up again!" Thank you, presidential butler man. I was also annoyed that they weren't even always accurate, like when he tells you you'll have to locate them yourself using the veins, and yet you still have a big goofy arrow telling you where to go.

Still, fun!

I'd like to add +1 for Liberation Maiden. Really fun game. The only annoying part is that it's difficult to play on a moving bus.

Anyone else have recommendations for eshop games under £15 (or dollars)?

VVVVVV, Steamworld Dig and Crimson Shroud are my favourite eShop games, they're all under a tenner.

I think I might get the Friday Monsters thing myself before the price goes back up.