toblix

BioShock Infinite

Honestly, from the beginning I've hated the way that humans look in Infinite. The environments are beautiful, sure, but every time someone talks about how great the game looks my brain screams "BUT THE FACES, MAN! THE FACES!" It looks to me like someone trying to take the Pixar method of "simplified humans look more cartoony and fun and have no problem with the uncanny valley" (which is great) and then fucking it up horribly by making them look like some kind of animatronic wax dummy of that. I'll still play it eventually, but I can't imagine not being grossed out every time I'm supposed to be having an emotional reaction to a character.

I did notice that before when looking at screenshots a few months ago and my guess was that her model was tweaked many times when the screenshots were made.

Otherwise I'm just really confused what's going on with her face.

Probably experimenting with the look. I also think she looks perfectly weird, but there's not really any point in judging the character until we've played the game. It's not coming out this year, anyway, so they have plenty of time left to play around. Maybe they'll even do one of those Facebook pick-a-lady things that seem to be all the rage these days.

Real life Columbia.

The way the guy from the company talks about it is terrifying, he sounds like a freaking super villain.

I'm sure 1.19 million is just enough to make a little model of it :)

I thought they would have cancelled this game now that Chris is gone.

It was all downhill from then on.

I'm not sure if I will like permadeath. But the rest of the 19999999-mode does interest me.

As your resident Bioshock killjoy I'd like to remind all of you that the much-hyped moral choices in the game made zero difference in the number of cybernetic modules you were provided and how you were able to build your character. Unless Levine means that you will be limited to two weapons or something (which sounds more like 2001 Halo Mode), this feature seems like pure hype to me.

It seems 1999 Mode will turn off the Quantum Bio-Reconstruction Machines, a feature that people have been asking for since System Shock II. So that's something.

As your resident Bioshock killjoy I'd like to remind all of you that the much-hyped moral choices in the game made zero difference in the number of cybernetic modules you were provided and how you were able to build your character.

Are... you... conflating different games?

Unless Levine means that you will be limited to two weapons or something (which sounds more like 2001 Halo Mode), this feature seems like pure hype to me.

Huh? They're talking about adding weapon specializations, being unable to use certain classes of weapons without the requisite allocated points, which is very much a thing System Shock 2 was doing.

The problem i had with BioShock is that you never really had to make choices. You were brimming with abilities that all could solve the same situations. (The game was also easy, over-stuffed with supplies, and had no death penalty.)

So introducing a more restrictive specialization mechanic and generally increasing the difficulty, i think could probably be positive for the game.

It seems 1999 Mode will turn off the Quantum Bio-Reconstruction Machines, a feature that people have been asking for since System Shock II. So that's something.

You could turn them off in BioShock post-patch.

I also didn't really have a problem with the chambers in System Shock 2, with some of the things they did in that game. (Having to activate them first, there being a penalty for using them, and everything else in that game being so damn harsh.)

I'm not a marketing guy, but hasn't the marketing of this game been really weird? They did the big announcement thing way back with the video and everything, and lots of interviews and stuff. Then nothing for a while, and then about half a year ago they did a bunch of videos with the enemies, and then nothing. And now there's a new trailer? Is everything going okay with this project?

Also, this thread should've been renamed.

yeah i just started i new thread, i didn't realise that this one was about infinite

Perhaps all the marketing just got pushed back 5 months when the game slipped from oct to feb 2013

I wonder if this game will get the full works with TV spots and cinema trailers and what not

An early Demo a few weeks before release would do wonders

That original Bioshock demo must have sold alot of people on the game, easily the best demo i've played

I'm not a marketing guy, but hasn't the marketing of this game been really weird? They did the big announcement thing way back with the video and everything, and lots of interviews and stuff. Then nothing for a while, and then about half a year ago they did a bunch of videos with the enemies, and then nothing. And now there's a new trailer? Is everything going okay with this project?

I seem to recall ken Levine talking about how he felt the game didn't need MP, and then not so long after in another interview talking about how they'd do it if they had a good idea for it.

Then there's delays and the game goes totally dark, and then 2k Marin is apparently pulled off X-com to assist on Infinite.

So yeah, i think 2k probably mandated multiplayer, that's my guess.

Bunch of the devs left the company fairly recently so it's quite interesting to see what is going on with this. Infinite has been a long project, but I wonder will the end product be alright.

My pet theory is that they saw Dishonored when it was in development, said "oh shit," went to the publishers and asked for more time/a delay. I could be am probably way the fuck off on this one.

Everyone keeps pointing out that some guys left irrational, but this game's bin in development for like 3 years and they'll be missing the last 6 months of it. They're not in any final-pass asset production or testing, it's mostly designers and directors, so their contribution to Bioshock Infinite would be finished.

Anyway, if Nate Wells is the art director at Irrational then I think someone just got a serious GET!

EDIT-- It's funny that the thread for Bioshock Infinite is called "Chris Remo's Icarus", Chris Remo being the community manager at Double Fine Productions, and Icarus being the game that is named Bioshock Infinite.