toblix

BioShock Infinite

Faux French, obviously.

*Twirls his moosestash* Well played sir. Well played indeed.

Holy maloney baloney macaroni:

The rifts Elizabeth plays with seem to fall into the realm of fissures in the space time continuum. Early on, she strains to open one large enough to save a fallen horse. Lacking control, things get away from her and for a moment they find themselves in the 1980's on a street in front of a theater, complete with the Tears for Fears classic "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" playing in the background.

(bold, italic, underline, pink color, spoiler and black color added)

Edited by toblix

Countdown to Tears for Fears?

Eh. It's just Real Genius with guns.

Edited by mikemariano
Better movie.

If that song is not playing over the end credits for that game now, I will be incredibly disappointed.

It was over the end credits of World in Conflict, which made the game for me.

nice spoiler toblix :(

and yes, I know that everywhere is reporting it, but I honestly thought that the Idle Thumbs thread would be kind enough to spoiler it, as I was trying to avoid it elsewere.

nice spoiler toblix :(

and yes, I know that everywhere is reporting it, but I honestly thought that the Idle Thumbs thread would be kind enough to spoiler it, as I was trying to avoid it elsewere.

Same here, i've kind of been trying to avoid spoilers for this, and i take one glance at this thread and see the bright, pink, bolded text.

Whatever though, the general marketing pitch is probably more to blame here for spoiling cool moments like that.

nice spoiler toblix

Horsebag

confirmed. That's worth not using spoiler tags.

bi4.jpg

"We have to save this dying horse! I will open a portal to the 80s!"

I will never play this game but I love how much of a cracked-out mess it has the potential to be. All the goofy base jumping, turn-of-the-century xenophobia, and time travel in Bioshock Infinite doesn't make any sense at all, plus it doesn't hint at any satisfying gameplay.

So for me a worthwhile spoiler would be something like

the Splicers are your Pimkin and you control them through jingoistic rhythm games

Sorry for spoiling everyone's fun. I guess I didn't consider it a spoiler in the real sense, since it's not an important plot point (or so I assume since they're writing about it in the preview.) I really hate it when something I'm looking forward to is spoiled, so I know how angry you must feel. In my defense, it sort of comes at you gradually as you read it, so in theory you should be able to abort the reading operation before the juicy details are revealed. Still, a spoiler is a spoiler, and I'm not going to try to defend what I've done. Although I've covered it up now, many of you have seen it, and the damage is done. I was reckless, I didn't think, I've ruined or severely degraded the game experience for you and for this I apologize. If it's any consolation, I will think twice before posting spoilers from now on. If I could go back and undo what I did, I would – believe me, I would. Hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy parts of the game, even knowing, expecting, and not being surprised by the thing I spoiled when it occurs. I guess we'll only know after it's released, and maybe, hopefully, it'll turn out you still had fun playing.

They've releasing these kind of videos after E3. I wonder when a full E3 video trailer would be released, I think only these Levine videos have released, right?

gbEFXCF90rc

I wonder will there always be three pre-defined choices what Elizabeth can pull in from the other realities.

I want to roll Ken Levine's head around like a Katamari Ball.

BIOSHOCK HATER ALERT! I only watched the first gameplay segment, but I truly believe that everything that wasn't scripted was terrible. The menu for rifling through drawers, etc. takes up half the screen and stops the gameplay cold. I know: every game does that, but it holds no meaning in Bioshock—you're always going to take everything.

And once you get a gun, you're waving it in Elizabeth's face until a scripted moment decides your arm needs to be elsewhere.

And...that's about it for gameplay, wasn't it? Could you have

walked in front of the ambulance that was about to hit Elizabeth

? What would that accomplish?

This is like a AAA version of Dear Esther, which wants to be gorgeous, but doesn't especially want to be played. Bioshock Infinite goes further and seems to be a game that hates to be played. It is bad for games to treat this like a good thing.

For all the talk about story and gameplay meshing, it really doesn't seem that much more progressive in that regard than Half-Life, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc. The setting seems more than interesting enough in itself, though, and the combat looks insane. Judging by what I've seen so far I'll buy it for a number of reasons:

• I really enjoyed Bioshock, except for the combat, which it seems like they've improved upon quite a bit here.
  • The visuals and setting are fantastic. Hopefully the game will let me walk around and take in the sights of these magnificent floating buildings in between the combat set pieces.
  • It has Chris Remo and Steve Gaynor in it.

The monumental degree of clearly faked stuff in the demo just leaves me completely baffled as to what this game actually is in terms of freedom and scripting.

What do you mean "faked"? There was definitely some sequences that will most likely take away player control or limit it, but that's nothing new. What are you talking about, specifically?

I don't really have a good sense of the game from that video, but the art content on display was off the charts. That super notable tear at the end of the first bit was surprising and great (and legally infringing!).

Faked in that the player seems to follow Emily around from sequence to sequence past massive amounts of scripted material in an apparently fairly open world, which is not how a real player would behave and not a convincing way for an open world to present itself (if you wander off or backtrack, what would happen?). The way the player travels along the rail things follows no apparent logic. It's a nice dramatic concept for a film, but there's no indication of how on earth it could work in practice as a game mechanic. It's a demo of an unfinished game of course so they're allowed to fake things that aren't finished, but this demo presents things in a very unconvincing way. You very often see early videos of games with impractical things going on in them, that are very different when they actually come out. I'm not being at all controversial here. I like Bioshock and this will probably be a great game.

Okay, I see what you mean. Yeah, it's always weird seeing these demos where everything fits together so well. There were definitely moments where I thought "but what if the player ...", and it was quite clear they're just playing out their part of the script. It'll be interesting to see how these situations actually appear in the final game; if they try to consider various player reactions, or if the game just awkwardly goes on doing its thing while you're jumping around shooting everyone in the face.

As for the big huge, giant combat set piece at the end, I bet they end up blocking off parts and then guiding the player with clear objectives to navigate them through it.