JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I've just been through the GoG sale picking out recommendations for my nephew, thought I'd share since I had it in the clipboard anyway.

Mark of the Ninja Special Edition- £3.69

World of Goo - £1.69

Super Time Force Ultra - £4.09

Crypt of the Necrodancer - £2.79

Beyond Good and Evil - £2.69

Bloodrayne Betrayal - £0.79

A Boy and his Blob - £2.89

Galak-Z - £2.89

Broforce - £2.99

Invisible Inc - £4.99

The Swindle - £2.99

Freedom Force - £1.19

Mirror’s Edge - £3.79

Braid - £2.79

Gemini Rue - £1.69

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - £2.69

Rayman Origins - £5.39

Following up Syberia being recently being part of a £1 bundle at BundelStars, Syberia 2 is currently entirely free to download (and keep forever without subscription) on Origin.

Could you tell me why Crypt of the Necrodancer is good/notable? I heard people talking about it and want to know if I should grab it - thanks! :)

1 hour ago, pabosher said:

Could you tell me why Crypt of the Necrodancer is good/notable? I heard people talking about it and want to know if I should grab it - thanks! :)

I think you want to ask @SuperBiasedMan

1 hour ago, pabosher said:

It's a turn-based roguelike where the enemy only moves where you do, but you get bonuses for moving on the beats of the level music and penalties for missing. Enemies all move on a musical pattern you need to learn to deal with them. Danny Baranowsky did the music for the game (Super Meatboy, Binding of Isaac), and there are gameplay mechanics based on the type of music in every level.

it's fucking awesome and has the best NPC in video games. It's the only video game soundtrack I've ever purchased.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a very good merging of Rogue Likes and rhythm games that solves my problems with both.

Having to match the beat means you're working in constant flow, always moving and meant to think on your feet. Rogue-likes can get very slow and tactical, and rhythm games can become all about memorising and perfecting rote levels. CotN is chaotic, and you need to adapt as you go, all the while moving with every beat as you try to figure out what to do next because a dragon just burst through the wall while you were trying to clear the skeletons in the current room. Not to mention the art and music are so chef kiss.

Yeah, I'm terrible at Necrodancer and have only ever reached the third dungeon like once, but it is very, very good, and I strongly recommend picking it up if it at all looks up your alley.  It's one of the smartest and most unique roguelikes there is. 

^ These people have done a sterling job of answering your question, I can only agree with everything they've said.

12 hours ago, JaguarWong said:

Great looking sale starting on the e-shop this week:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/nintendo_download_23rd_march_europe

Affordable Space Adventures for a fiver is a total steal.

That sale this week in eShop is incredibly good. So many good games, of which I already have most, but there are some things I definitely will be picking up like Corpse Story.

The Sony PSN sale is ridiculous, LocoRoco, Ratchet & Clank, Vib-Ribbon...

Does anybody play the Syphon Filter games? You can have most of the series super cheap!

Imma pimp this again in this thread, because I like it so much.  Renowned Explorers is back on sale, because a new expansion is out for it. 

Also, @Gormongous if you were looking for any excuse to dip back in, they're doing a special challenge for it, trying to get the community as a whole to collect a certain number of treasures in 80 hours.  I liked the weekly challenges when I was playing regularly, just because they encouraged playing team I otherwise not might use. It's a shame they never found a way to fully integrate and track the challenges into the game proper and it was just a forum thing. 

9 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Imma pimp this again in this thread, because I like it so much.  Renowned Explorers is back on sale, because a new expansion is out for it. 

Also, @Gormongous if you were looking for any excuse to dip back in, they're doing a special challenge for it, trying to get the community as a whole to collect a certain number of treasures in 80 hours.  I liked the weekly challenges when I was playing regularly, just because they encouraged playing team I otherwise not might use. It's a shame they never found a way to fully integrate and track the challenges into the game proper and it was just a forum thing. 

I've been following the news for the DLC and, while I'm concerned that it might make a wonderfully simple but involved game a bit too overcomplicated, I'm happy for more content. Renowned Explorers is a delight and I still boot it up from time to time to have a RPG/strategy-lite adventure that lasts almost exactly an hour.

I picked up Chime Sharp too, thanks for the tip.

I remembered the original as a relaxing zone-out sort of game, something like Lumines, but wow is this new version tough. I'm struggling to make it to 75% coverage before time runs out on even the easiest levels.

I am also finding it challenging. My technique for Standard is to play the same song 3-4 times before moving on to another. I find that it takes time for me to internalize the set of pentominoes. I haven't tried the other modes yet.

MyNintendo has an offer for 20% off Etrian Odyssey IV, which seems like not much, should I just wait for a sale? I think I've seen it on sale before.

Etrian Odyssey IV is anyway 9.99€ already in the eShop, I doubt it will get lower in any sale than that 7,19€ with the My Nintendo discount.

One of these that sale will coincide with me having a bit of time to play it. Fall is not that time.