JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Blizzard only allows a few certain symbols in their passwords, which always ticks me off because the ones I want to use are never included in their list. Additionally, the new bank I started with recently had a list of password requirements that specifically listed symbols you can't use like "[]{}, mostly stuff that makes sense given SQL queries and such, but the password prompt wouldn't take a tilde even though it wasn't on the list of characters. I bashed my head against that for 5 or 10 minutes before I finally figured out why it wouldn't take my password. 

Yeah, I started moving passwords over to be long form phrases rather than randomized symbols or words with random numbers/symbols, as everything I understand about passwords points to a very long password of mostly letters being as good as a shorter passwords with numbers and symbols.  But I still end up with random shit tacked onto the end to satisfy whatever requirement a service has.  The places that really drive me batter are the ones that have rather short total character limits for passwords, cause really, your requirement is literally that I use something less secure than I prefer?  I have one government website I use that has a 6 character limit for passwords. 

That's actually not true any more. Hackers these days use multi-word dictionary attacks, including obvious number/special character swaps for letters (1 for i, @ for a, that sort of thing) and various sets of numbers appended to the end. Longish passwords are still good, but gibberish is better than real words. The best advice I've been given was to come up with a long phrase (for instance a movie quote or song lyric), choose every first letter, and use special characters somewhere in the middle.

All of mine are completely random now, and long.

It used to be that rainbow tables tended to not include the space character, but I don't know if that's the case anymore and I found some sites that wouldn't allow passwords with that in.

I still find sites that declare password rules on registration. Apart from the "No, it has to have at least one uppercase letter!" *submit* "No, it has to have a number in as well!" *submit* "No! It must contain one of the following punctuation characters too!" being annoying as fuck, by declaring password rules they're arguably making their site less secure. I've had very secure pws declined on registration because of a character limit, too. <-- d'oh!

Ugh, for some reason I am having a lot of trouble not buying Diablo 3 on PS3 in that E3 sale. The price is not amazing but is almost on par with the lowest price the game has ever been ($20 on both PC and PS3). I've avoided it on PC because of the market stuff which is now resolved and the console port has been fairly well lauded, which is nice because I think I'm more likely to play it co-op with my wife if I just have to buy a single copy. That said, the latest update on PC is going to be ported to console later this year but I think may only be coming to now-gen stuff. I probably won't own a PS4 this year, though I'm not certain.

Anyone have input that will help sway me either way?

I don't think I can help with your decision, buuut I did just buy Diablo 3 for PC on Amazon yesterday for $20. Expected delivery date is July 7-15. Meh, worth it.

I've heard multuple people say they'd rather play it on console as the pacing is better. I haven't tried it so I can't comment myself.

Weirdly enough, I've found action-rpgs to be more compelling to me with a controller vs traditional KB/M.  The clickfest that something like Diablo is boring to me now, but a controller changes the feel of the game even if the mechanics are the same. 

Don't know that I'm rational in that reaction, but it feels that way. 

The major impetus behind getting a 360 for me was the controller (that and the fact my computer wouldn't run Oblivion at the time,) but these days a lot of PC games support controllers so that's nice. I wonder if they'd ever consider porting the controler stuff for the console version back to the PC. 

Weirdly enough, I've found action-rpgs to be more compelling to me with a controller vs traditional KB/M.  The clickfest that something like Diablo is boring to me now, but a controller changes the feel of the game even if the mechanics are the same. 

Don't know that I'm rational in that reaction, but it feels that way. 

This exact feeling was part of why I found LoL tremendously boring (the other reason was that I was terrible at it). My vague reasoning was that I probably wanted the tactile sensation of direct control, and the idea of just clicking for a destination was horribly disconnected when it is entirely possible for me to control that one character with actual buttons.

I don't think I can help with your decision, buuut I did just buy Diablo 3 for PC on Amazon yesterday for $20. Expected delivery date is July 7-15. Meh, worth it.

You did help, actually! I was actually about to buy the PC version (which now seems to be back in stock? check your delivery date, may have updated) when I noticed the PS3 Retail version was also $20 on Amazon. I have a $5 credit there, so $15 is the price for the platform I was really hoping for. Thanks :D

Sweet!! I'm glad I could help! I almost didn't post that because I thought it was somewhat useless info.

And I actually got an email from Amazon this afternoon saying I should receive my order mid-late next week! :)

Weirdly enough, I've found action-rpgs to be more compelling to me with a controller vs traditional KB/M.  The clickfest that something like Diablo is boring to me now

This exact feeling was part of why I found LoL tremendously boring (the other reason was that I was terrible at it). My vague reasoning was that I probably wanted the tactile sensation of direct control, and the idea of just clicking for a destination was horribly disconnected when it is entirely possible for me to control that one character with actual buttons.

Urgh! I just think you two have identified why I loathe Lords Managements and Diablo. Can't stand clicking all the time, and the weird laggy feeling you get from clicking in one place and moving there a few seconds later. 

That makes me feel good! I've been wondering why I could never get into those kinda games when on paper they look like everything I'd ever wanted. 

New update - game shipped last night and is expected to arrive tomorrow. :D And tomorrow is our LAN day! Amazon never ceases to amaze me. Ordered it on Wednesday with free 5-8 day shipping and a 2-4 week wait, now expected to get it 3 days after ordering. Too good to be true?

So for anyone wanting to pick up Diablo 3, it is available on Amazon again and is $20 (50% off) for PC and PS3. Now I just need to find the expansion on sale...

gog.com have stated their summer sale. Tales Of Monkey Island is $3.50 for the next hour or so (amongst other stuff, obv).

Nintendo of America has a huge E3 sale, but Europe is only getting two Pac-Man games for sale. :|

Madcatz is having a sale on some fightsticks that I think are generally regarded as being alright. I'm thinking about snagging one 'cause I'm an idiot who loves weird controllers.

https://twitter.com/MadCatz/status/477569095408160770/photo/1

As far as fighting sticks are concerned, I would advise you to go with a Hori stick. I can't vouch for Mad Catz, but Hori sticks are where it's at. I got my Hori stick as a present, and I love it. It's great for fighting games and Bullet Hell games, and the controller's super responsive.

Looking into fighting sticks can get crazy technical, but it basically boils down to the number of face buttons (Mine has 6 and I'm OK with that, I think 8 is a tad excessive) and the cut out shape for the stick, which can come in either a diamond shape or square shape. Which one to choose depends on what games you want to play with it. Diamond is better for Tekken apparently, whilst square cut outs are better for 2D fighters like BlazBlue/Guilty Gear. Apparantly. I guess the best cut out would be an octagon, but I believe Nintendo still owns patent rights on that. :/

GoG.com's sale has a big batch of stuff until tomorrow where they have a bunch of different bundles (though you can also buy just part of the bundles, for a different discount) and also Magrunner Darkpulse is completely free.
I have no idea what that game is, but hey. Free.

steam_summer_sale-620x349.jpg

It begins tomorrow.

I refuse to partake in the summer sale this year (although I'm sure I will be very tempted by it). I've played maybe one game out of the dozen or so I bought last summer and I am determined to not purchase any games on Steam until I get through my 20ish game backlog.

AH! Steam Sale! I really can't afford to spend much on this sale, since I just bought a WiiU. Most of them are indie game I might get even cheaper in a bundle, so I won't mind waiting this one out.

I've decided to generate a wish list for this years sale. Anything not on that rather small wish list, I'm not going to purchase, no matter how good the deal is. It's basically Dark Souls 2 and a couple of indie games, so I doubt my bill will reach more than £50.

I've actually been pretty good, I finished all the games I bought in all of last years sales bar 2.