Jake

Idle Thumbs 48: In Space

Caution: May contain sadness and song.

"In Space"

As the darkness draws in and the last days creep ever closer, we're joined by 2K Marin's Steve Gaynor for a rousing discussion of video games in the outer reaches of space. While there, we discuss the PS3's recent trips to polar opposites of the hand-holding spectrum, lament the disappearance of Modern Warfare 2's dedicated servers, and are paid a surprise visit by an asshole.

Games Discussed: Demon's Souls, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Far Cry 2, God Hand, Half-Minute Hero, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Dragon Age: Origins, Crimson Skies (PC), Sim Mars, The Beatles Rock Band: Abbey Road, Rock Band 2: Queen DLC

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Caution: May contain sadness and song.

This had better be what I think it is! If not... OOOOOOOOHH!

EDIT: Just got to it. Fucking awesome.

Edited by Lord Korax

My favorite game unboxing were the Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret. Because besides a normal detailed manual it contains a WEC newsletter (the WEC being the ingame company you worked for). It also contains a "resistance manual" which was a manual written from the ingame perspective about certain security systems and key people (with handwritten notes). You can see this awesome stuff here: http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/crusader-no-remorse/download/937/

Stonekeep was also quite nice, it contained a small novel "The Oath of Stonekeep", never read it though.

My favorite game unboxing were the Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret. Because besides a normal detailed manual it contains a WEC newsletter (the WEC being the ingame company you worked for). It also contains a "resistance manual" which was a manual written from the ingame perspective about certain security systems and key people (with handwritten notes).

I loved that the crusader newsletter had the System Shock / Shodan reference.

AFAIK all Origin games had that kind of fluff in the package. Ultima with cloth maps and ingame related stuff made real (like a pentagram medallion or an Ankh), Strike Commander with an issue of a mercenary manual from 2010 or something (whenever the game took place), and Wing Commander usually with flight manuals with hand written notes, similar to Crusader. Incredible stuff!

Where is the petition for IT to bring back dedicated podcasters

Oh well. I know it's going to be around for a little while still but good luck to Nick at Bethesda and to Jake & Chris with whatever they decided to do with Idle Thumbs.

Edited by pyide

I don't think you guys understand how funny and good your podcast is, it's really sad to see you disappear when you really found your groove.

Even though I'm still in denial I would like to thank you for all the hours of great entertainment you've given me. I'm already planning to listen to all the episodes from start to finish after 50 is released.

"Congratulations, Nick!"

"Congrats Nick!"

Seriously, that's both great news and terrible news. I am already in mourning.

Grats, Nick, but... Guys, why can't you just do a two-people-podcast and have Steve drop in from time to time? Should be worth a try? :bargaining:

Congratulations Nick, and good luck with whatever else you guys decide to do with this site. As someone that was here through the entirety of that, uh, dry spell before the podcast I think I can wait to what comes next.

Congrats to Nick, it'll be a shame to see this podcast go but I'm sure whatever you guys do afterwards it'll be worth reading/listening/watching?

This is hands down the best gaming podcast around so thanks for creating something special and being who you are. :)

Don't ever stop. The other week I was wondering what I'd do if you ever did pack it in.

It was very depressing.

Now this. I literally had tears in my eyes when I heard that bit.

Congrats and good luck Nick, you asshole.

Man, I can't believe that one guy is leaving!

I really hope you guys do continue in some way. I generally don't listen to podcasts all that much but this one was/is really great. Too bad it's possibly ending a month after I started listening. Congratulations on the job Nick.

As for best unboxing, for me it was Wing Commander 3(special edition?) that came in the metal film reel case with a t-shirt, poster, and possibly other things I can't remember.

what?

:violin:

This sucks! Oh well, I have enjoyed the forums and will continue to do so...

What needs my Thumbs for it's honored bones

The labor of an age in piled stones?

Or that it's hallowed reliques should be hid

Under a starry pointing pyramid?

Dear son of Memory, great heir of Fame,

What need'st thou such weak witness of thy name?

Thou in our wonder and astonishment

Hast built thy self a livelong monument.

For whilst, to th' shame of slow-endeavoring art,

Thy easy numbers flow, and that each heart

Hath from the leaves of thy unvalued casts

Those Wizardly lines with deep impression basked,

Then thou, our fancy of itself bereaving,

Dost make us marble with too much conceiving,

And so sepulchred in such pomp dost lie

That kings for such a tomb would wish to die.

(With apologies to Milton, Shakespeare, and Space Asshole)

What?! I just went through the entire library to catch up and now its done, this sucks.

Sorry to see you guys go... possible Bethseda boycott now? That's surely where the blame should be placed.

Also, awesome song Chris.

Oh man, the best thumb song and worst thumb news :(

the podcast is the best part of my workweek and I'll miss it dearly.

Good luck Nick

edit: that was supposed to be a frown but fuck it I'm not changing it.