Roderick

Tales of Monkey Island

Grrrr... Jewish New Year fell on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. On the plus side, I could greet everyone with a cheery 'ShanARRRRRGH Tova!', but on the downside, I missed out on the coupon code.

That said, I still haven't claimed the free game from having pre-ordered ToMI. Can anyone suggest one episode (not including Sam and Max, which I own all of) that stands alone well?

I have found the Wallace and Gromit games to be fantastic if you're a fan of the shorts. Highly recommend the first episode if you're looking for a free thing to get. It's the one I got, and then I bought the other 3 afterwards just because they're awesome.

Grrrr... Jewish New Year fell on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. On the plus side, I could greet everyone with a cheery 'ShanARRRRRGH Tova!', but on the downside, I missed out on the coupon code.

That sucks! Who knew that TellTale were so anti-Semitic??

(Joking.)

(Joking.)

It's always some religion's special day.

It's always some religion's special day.

It would be fun to invent a religion where there are no special days, but special various amounts of time, down to minute precision. They last all year and come with all sorts of obligations. They also overlap, so you may have multiple obligations at once, or you can choose your favourite saints and only respect their minutes. This will affect your afterlife though. And then there's one day in the year where there are no obligations, anyone can do what they want and their deeds have no consequences.

It would be fun to invent a religion where there are no special days, but special various amounts of time, down to minute precision. They last all year and come with all sorts of obligations. They also overlap, so you may have multiple obligations at once, or you can choose your favourite saints and only respect their minutes. This will affect your afterlife though. And then there's one day in the year where there are no obligations, anyone can do what they want and their deeds have no consequences.

This sounds like a religion invented by someone with obscene amounts of complex time-keeping machinery at his disposal.

A few years ago I missed an anniversary and then argued that our anniversary date falls at a different time altogether, relative to some weird maths: we actually had two "getting together" dates, because we got together, broke up a couple of months later, then got together again a half a year after that, and have been together ever since—I argued that we should have a moving anniversary date that is the average of our two anniversaries, weighed against how long we've been together following each getting-together date. So, the longer we're together, the more the Official Anniversary Date By Kingz Reckoning approaches our second Proper Getting-Together Date, but will likely not reach it any time soon.

This ridiculous mathematical flailing on my part made up for the gross crime of missing an anniversary.

(Joking.)

I was actually going to say something similar to that, but I was afraid people might think I was being serious.

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for plugging that!

Cheers Jake. Actually, after posting that I wondered if I would get banned for viral marketing, but seem to have gotten away with it this time.

Yes, Jake was very nearly really angry with you... but luckily he saw sense. Hint:

He works at TellTale. Also, if it's a great deal, like that was, I think we're always happy to hear about it!

The new one is indeed excellent. It has some of the best puzzle design I've seen in any adventure game (not hyperbole) and solid character development. The generic surfer dude and generic nerd characters seem out of place but other than that it is utterly fantabulous.

I really liked it, but I thought the crew were a bit...dunno. I preferred McGillicutty's lot. I just don't see what's so great about "Yo, dude, bro" pirates, I guess!

On the other hand,

Murray's "Smite him!"

is the best Monkey Island line ever.

I wonder if we love it because "you know who" is back?

Do we have to keep it a secret? He's right there on the screenshot sections...:erm:

But yeah, it was great! The most fluid experience I've had in ages!

I like to have the hints on to hear the voice actor, but this time everything was so fluid and sensible he only had time to give me a hint right at the end!

It seems to be getting more and more exciting.... I can't wait for the next one! :grin:

Everything about this episode is spectacular. The tarot at the beginning is rad. The environment layout and design is pretty uniformly awesome. Coronado De Cava is a great foil to Guybrush. Murray seems crazier than ever, in a good kind of way.

The whole presentation has a kind of bright, surreal edge that CMI and EMI outright didn't, but that SMI and MI2 merely hinted at at times. It is a great take on the property all around. Kudos.

:tup:

Finished the first part. Really good so far. The puzzles are maybe a tad simple, but on the other hand they make great sense and I think I only got stuck for a minute before remembering to look again at a thing I had already seen but forgotten about.

Great co-directing, Jake!

Definitely the best episode so far, due in large part to the noticable absence of jungle mazes.

I must be in the minority, but I don't find Murray's "evil!!!" schtick all that funny. I really thought what made that character work so well in CMI was the kind of sheepish insecurity that would occasionally seep out from beneath all his boasting. To me, "I'm sorry, it's been a tough day" was his funniest line in that game. Sadly, that aspect of his character isn't really on display here. But whatever, it was still nice to see him, and it still beats his EMI cameo by leaps and bounds.

Also I want to echo the praise for the puzzle design. I was never stuck, never at a loss for what to do next, but yet it never felt too easy.

I must be in the minority, but I don't find Murray's "evil!!!" schtick all that funny. I really thought what made that character work so well in CMI was the kind of sheepish insecurity that would occasionally seep out from beneath all his boasting. To me, "I'm sorry, it's been a tough day" was his funniest line in that game. Sadly, that aspect of his character isn't really on display here.

That's kindof the bright surreal edgy thing I am talking about! It is a different tone all around. Murray has more of an impotent

thing going this time around, rather than resorting to your stock Disney villain's comedic sidekick shtick, ick k k k. It is a different tone, it is a very comprehensive re-imagining of the material by someone who is not in awe of it, but is invigorated by the opportunity.

This one rocked my pirate socks with holes in them off my peg leg. Or something. - ign.com

Cool puzzles, only once got a little frustrated, until I realized there was another fellow I could speak with. heh.

Yeah, for some reason, I was doing well at the end, but he suddenly started spouting hints. Weird.

Congrats on the co-directing Jake! Really great game. I loved trying out all the possible date scenarios with Morgan and Noogie, and also the Manatee pickup lines. As far as I'm concerned, Murray was absolutely spot on and made me laugh out loud several times. The closing credits were particularly great. It was so good that you were able to get the same voice guy; his performance really makes the character.

I also liked the glowy voodoo effects of the tarot card hexes. That was also fun to try out all the combinations.

Another thing I really like is the preponderance of clever new types of puzzles, all TTG as of late have really shined in this department: the pirate face-off, the manatee communication, that with the simplified interface inventory items become verbs (the hook hand, primarily, but also all the inventory items that get to be used more than once, like the little loupe, and the pyrate parrot, the sword, etc.).

When Guybrush projects himself into the voodoo lady, and she has a finger in her inventory, I imagined that to be a verb as well, and thought that I would get to tear something open, like a little packet of seasoning for example, which is what I imagined the cocktail napkin to be before I had Guybrush look at it.

The second part was even better!

Really great puzzles in this episode!

Just finished Leviathan. Excellent. A few puzzles even made me feel like a certified genius, which is a huge plus for an adventure game. Never felt frustrated either. Incredibly well done. Also, whose idea was it to do the MI2 diving animation and music when you go down off the ship? That was bloody brilliant and had me grinning like an idiot. Can't wait for the next episode now. They're still getting better.

One geeky complaint though: I waited ten minutes underwater and nothing happened. What's the dealio with that?

EDIT: Just remembered, Murray's commentary from within the inventory was hilarious.