Roderick

Tales of Monkey Island

Dammit, when's the next one coming out. It must've been like three months since Spinner Cay already.:fart:

Not sure what bits you mean...
Yeah, I didn't explain it very well. Let me try again with screenshots:

The following two locations are linked: Going right from the screen #1 takes you to screen #2 and going left from #2 takes you to #1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=472&stc=1&d=1252504532attachment.php?attachmentid=473&stc=1&d=1252504532

But if you're in the following screen and you go right, you end up in screen #2. If you try to return to where you were, you end up back at screen #1 rather than #3.

attachment.php?attachmentid=474&stc=1&d=1252504532

It was a minor thing and it didn't really bother me in Screaming Narwhal (so don't take this as a complaint). I was just wondering whether the same thing had been planned in Spinner Cay but been taken out, resulting in those dead ends.

post-1395-13375603127436_thumb.jpg

post-1395-13375603127634_thumb.jpg

post-1395-13375603127817_thumb.jpg

The dead end with the pile of ship parts, and the dead end by the statues and fishing well were definitely added in late. They were originally loops like the forest in Narwhal, but Mark Darin and I thought it was serving no point and would just be confusing, so I plugged them up at the last second and added some art around instead. It was unfortunately last minute as all hell, but I hoped that by removing any "looping" segments, and adding some landmarks (statues, wrecked boat, skeleton, seagulls, etc) people would have an easier time remembering where to go than in the first episode.

The jungle in Spinner Cay always made more sense than the one on episode one, but having that one row of tiles loop around endlessly was the one bit which made everything incredibly confusing and hard to follow, because it suddenly stopped feeling like it made spatial sense once those were looping. Hopefully we helped it a bit. I wish we could have linked to the cliff and the fishing well from the overhead island map, too, but at the time for some reason people didn't want to do that. Live and learn, I guess.

I wish we could have linked to the cliff and the fishing well from the overhead island map, too, but at the time for some reason people didn't want to do that. Live and learn, I guess.

Yeah! I guess I can understand you might worry that people wouldn't explore the jungle again once they'd found LeChuck and had a shortcut to him, but it was pretty annoying to have to go through the jungle every time you wanted to get to the cliff.

I also wish the Well looked a bit different from the random junk from the first episode's jungle... I missed it for ages.

Didn't the well look identical to the wishing well in the first episode, which was itself a vital part of at least two puzzles? It caught my eye right away because of that, anyway.

Didn't the well look identical to the wishing well in the first episode, which was itself a vital part of at least two puzzles? It caught my eye right away because of that, anyway.
Yeah, I understand why they need to do this, but the entire jungle looked nearly identical to the one in Screaming Narwhal.

Overall I enjoyed the first episode more, but I'd kind of like to go back and give the second one another chance just because maybe if I hadn't been forced to play on a schedule to get my review done in time, I'd have enjoyed it more (yes I realize I had almost a week to play a short game but you see what I mean). Wasn't the case with the first one though, so I dunno. Definitely hoping the next chapter is at least better than Spinner Cay.

... I hoped that by removing any "looping" segments, and adding some landmarks (statues, wrecked boat, skeleton, seagulls, etc) people would have an easier time remembering where to go than in the first episode.
Yeah, SC was definately better in that respect.
I wish we could have linked to the cliff and the fishing well from the overhead island map, too, but at the time for some reason people didn't want to do that. Live and learn, I guess.
I didn't really think that was a big issue. The jungle was smaller than in SN and you didn't need to return to those areas all that often.

I'm surprised to read about the opinions on the maze in Spinner Cay, because it contrasts my own experience. I thought it was weird that the first maze in Tales was a really smart 'puzzle' maze, whereas the second one in Spinner Cay was just a run of the mill, regular ol' maze. To me, that felt like a weird step back, like I was expecting something more puzzley from it.

Wait... what maze in Spinner's Cay? Or are you referring to the jungle environment itself as a maze? It's a location, not a puzzle.

Just remembered two more things about the game, one positive and one negative.

Positive: Loved the fact that the seagull in the beginning gobbled up a red herring.

Negative: I'm a bit of a clutz when it comes to clickable zones. When I tried to join items in the inventory, I would often click the wood bit between the join-zones (circled below), which causes the inventory to close. If I may make a suggestion, it would be good if you close the inventory by clicking to the left of the gold circles, but accidentally clicking to the right of them does nothing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=475&stc=1&d=1252572470

post-1395-1337560312801_thumb.jpg

No, I think you used a map on it in the first game. Since I didn't have a map with a well on it, I ignored it.

Someone

(Chris Remo)

should write a parody of Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses" about Tales of Monkey Island. Especially now that there are mermaids.

Someone

(Chris Remo)

should write a parody of Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses" about Tales of Monkey Island. Especially now that there are mermaids.

I never do parody songs.

Except for that one Randy Newman thing? Anyway, it's a good policy. A lot of people love parody songs, but I can never stand them after two or three listens. They wear out their welcome so damn fast.

The Randy Newman one was more a parody of an artist's style more than a straight lyric-replacement parody.

Sorry if the suggestion was insulting in any way to your musical abilities. When I'm tired enough to think posting my random thoughts online is a good idea, I should probably get off the internet. And this thought was especially random. :grin:

Except for that one Randy Newman thing? Anyway, it's a good policy. A lot of people love parody songs, but I can never stand them after two or three listens. They wear out their welcome so damn fast.

That was an original song in the style of Randy Newman. I guess you could say it parodies his work generally, but it wasn't a parody of any particular song.

The Randy Newman one was more a parody of an artist's style more than a straight lyric-replacement parody.

Sorry if the suggestion was insulting in any way to your musical abilities. When I'm tired enough to think posting my random thoughts online is a good idea, I should probably get off the internet. And this thought was especially random. :grin:

Eh, it's fine. I get asked to do parodies a LOT, even though it's not something I've ever done in the first place, and the idea of it is extremely unappealig to me, so the combination of those things makes me reply excessively curtly at this point even if the person making the request is unaware.

After my retarded dream about MI, I'm ashamed to say I still HAVENT FINISHED IT. I got stuck on Monkey Island, still trying to find out what to do. And I just started Grim Fandango too, goddamnit.

They're tract wells built from a template. Safer to raise kids there than in a more urban environment.

Anyone who is interested in this is probably on the same mailing list I am, but just in case anyone missed it... For one day, Telltale are giving away episode 1 of TOMI. If you've already bought it, you can get another game free. Unless, like me, you bought it on Steam, in which case I think you're stuffed.

But anyway: Free stuff! Go here: www.playlikeapirate.com

That's over a week!

Well, I got my Great Cow Race, which finishes my Telltale Collection. Although the first Bone isn't linked to my account, so I guess that's gone.

I already own all the Telltale episodes. Do I still get a prize? Will I be able to hold onto my coupon code and use it for some future thing?