gdf

Life

I just got rejected from one of the two universities I wanted to study at. Well, that doesn't feel great. Admittedly, I've got my Oxford interview later this week, but this kinda feels like a slap in the face.

Bastard.

I just got rejected from one of the two universities I wanted to study at. Well, that doesn't feel great. Admittedly, I've got my Oxford interview later this week, but this kinda feels like a slap in the face.

Bastard.

You had two universities placed higher than Oxford? What were they, out of interest?

You had two universities placed higher than Oxford? What were they, out of interest?

Applying for uni doesn't work like that. You apply for 4 or 5 universities and they all give you an provisional offer or rejection, based on your personal statement and expected results.

Applying for uni doesn't work like that. You apply for 4 or 5 universities and they all give you an provisional offer or rejection, based on your personal statement and expected results.

Yes, but he said two of the universities he wanted to study at... He made it sound as though Oxford was second place to those two (at least, that's how I read it). I understand the slap in the face feeling, though. Not fun.

TP, the two I wanted to get in are UCL and Oxford - mainly because the Human Sciences courses there are absolutely great. UCL rejected me after interview (despite telling me I had "nothing to worry about" :P) but my Oxford interview is taking place Tues-Fri this week, so hopefully that'll yield a more positive outcome :)

How is the weather in England by the way? Especially around London/Bath/Stonehenge, Wiltshire?

I'm supposed to go to the majestic country on Friday and I'm hoping the weather is less winter weather than here.

How is the weather in England by the way? Especially around London/Bath/Stonehenge, Wiltshire?

I'm supposed to go to the majestic country on Friday and I'm hoping the weather is less winter weather than here.

I'm pretty sure it's less wintery than Finland... Here in London it is just grey and wet and cold. No snow.

Up here in the midlands, many things are encased in ice. Roads are clear, but off them all of the snow is hanging around, and has been severely compacted then refrozen.

Further south, the snow has thawed away but we're still getting freezing fog.

I preferred the snow.

The snow is actually working wonders for me here in Manchester. My car was dodgy beforehand and is now totally unuseable so I've been forcing everyone to come to me instead. I don't think I've been anywhere outside of walking distance in over a week and I'm sort of enjoying it.

I would rather have the freezing fog. Came off my bike at a very low speed this morning, sideways, on about 3 inches of ice. It was funny at the time and didn't hurt, but now I realise it screwed my lower back.

It's going to be drizzly.

So I have this sort of ugly feeling my PC might be giving up the ghost soon. With everything save the RAM and GPU being seven years old (!) I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard this noise sooner.

I started my PC and one of the fans inside went WHHHHHHHHHHRCLICKLCLACKCLICKCLACKWHRPWHRPWHRPWHRP and has continued to do so. I'm going to pick up some air and give it a good cleaning, but I'm not entirely sure that'll be enough this time. The fact that the PSU has lasted seven years is a freaking testament to Gateway (or whoever built the thing) but it may just be time.

In even less happy, even more money out-of-pocket news, my car is dead. Flat-out dead. It was a very nice Silver Sprint that despite not being a thousand years old (myself, that is) I quite enjoyed driving. The front axle, drive-shaft, transmission and both the front tires went at once yesterday, whilst driving, so that was fun :( but somehow I managed not to be decapitated.

That said, lots and lots and lots of money that, while I should pay, because of where I got the car from, I'm not going to. I have a perfectly serviceable 1998 Mustang that makes me look like a prick (even without the popped collars) but it'll do for now.

On a slightly happier, less out-of-pocket news, I have a new kitten. It is absolutely adorable, and loves chewing on my face whilst I sleep. :deranged:

Kitteeeens!

Quite.

And I'm having problems with a name.

Do any fellow Thumbs have an idea for a kitten/cat name?

It's a Persian Shorthair and is the cutest thing known to man. Names, people!

I'd go for Heisenberg, so that I wouldn't have to constantly worry about whether the kitten is dead or not, and could focus on where it is or how fast it's moving instead.

Schrödinger.

If you get a dog, you must name him Pavlov.

I have for the longest time wanted someone with both a cat and a dog to name the cat Pavlov and the dog Schrödinger instead, because it's just the best form of trolling.

I have for the longest time wanted someone with both a cat and a dog to name the cat Pavlov and the dog Schrödinger instead, because it's just the best form of trolling.

That's brilliant. Then just feign total ignorance if someone starts to "correct" you :tup:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

All excellent ideas (especially the actual Pavlovian experiment with the name), but I've gone with Aurelius, via Marcus.

I'm planning to get another one soon, so it may just have to be Caeser, but I'll keep all of these in mind.

Afraid not. He's mostly grey with this streak white across his forehead that gives him a very serious expression at times.