gdf

Life

Wasn't me, but I can confirm I vaguely remember you speculating they were an item. If the Idle Thumbs network is ever looking for a good Idle Thumbs gossip based podcast, you should definitely consider Dibs as host though.

I dunno wanna stir the pot or anything but both sean and jake had made many mentions on twitter that chris was sarah's bf. All the time, like I thought everyone knew? I knew and I was like "damn, they are a cute couple"

Congrats Chris and Sarah

Congrats Nick

wait

I think nick has suffered his greatest lost, who will dou que in Starcraft 2 with him now?

They are like our very own version of Kimye. Rumours, speculations, lies, halftruths.  One is a music maker, the other i'm not sure what she does.

Nick brekon is everyones cool young uncle who you hug on christmas so he knows you love him.

Thanks for visions of my future.

Argobot's an academic, I think.

I think I just picked it up from various Spelunky tweets.

I've had a few conversations this year along the lines of:

Friend: "Wait, such and such are sleeping with each other?"

Me: "Have you seen the way they've been tweeting at each other for the past few weeks?"

Friend: "Oh, I didn't really think anything of it".

(Not about Sarah and Chris, mainly people in nearby circles of friends)

I have to constantly remind myself that there's a lot of small interaction stuff that most people don't follow, and that people don't generally have a good handle on their own unconscious. I spotted that someone was interested in me this year, and she later told me that at that time, she wasn't aware of feeling that at all. It was really obvious in the way her face changed and the way her attention flowed readily toward me in a group. The feeling-without-being-conscious-of-it is something I'm familiar with in myself, but I think that's the first time I've known someone's motives before they did.

Motivation is weird, most of it exists in some unconscious stack of past history, associations, desire and emotional values we never have access to, and one of the things I got from the academia I used to read is that, when asked about their motives, people often don't actually know and give a bunch of post-hoc rationalisations for their actions that just feel about right.

This meandering lunchtime digression brought to you by taking a day off work.

I've had a few conversations this year along the lines of:

Friend: "Wait, such and such are sleeping with each other?"

Me: "Have you seen the way they've been tweeting at each other for the past few weeks?"

Friend: "Oh, I didn't really think anything of it".

(Not about Sarah and Chris, mainly people in nearby circles of friends)

I have to constantly remind myself that there's a lot of small interaction stuff that most people don't follow, and that people don't generally have a good handle on their own unconscious. I spotted that someone was interested in me this year, and she later told me that at that time, she wasn't aware of feeling that at all. It was really obvious in the way her face changed and the way her attention flowed readily toward me in a group. The feeling-without-being-conscious-of-it is something I'm familiar with in myself, but I think that's the first time I've known someone's motives before they did.

Motivation is weird, most of it exists in some unconscious stack of past history, associations, desire and emotional values we never have access to, and one of the things I got from the academia I used to read is that, when asked about their motives, people often don't actually know and give a bunch of post-hoc rationalisations for their actions that just feel about right.

This meandering lunchtime digression brought to you by taking a day off work.

I really think that you would enjoy many romantic comedy korean dramas. Your post describes a lot of what I enjoy about them.

Any in particular you'd recommend? :)

I generally avoid Western romance films because I'm very familiar with the history of romanticism in Western cultures, and that we've held on to loads of the unhealthy but comfortable bits while going "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING" to all the other much less comforting ones. I hadn't really thought to seek and find out what those narratives are like in other cultures.

It was also basically said (albeit indirectly) in the Spelunky thread on these forums I think?

I'm not looking to pry into the lives of folks I don't know, and I feel like half a creep even posting this, but THE COUPLING was mentioned a few times on the Twin Peaks podcast!

Any in particular you'd recommend? :)

I generally avoid Western romance films because I'm very familiar with the history of romanticism in Western cultures, and that we've held on to loads of the unhealthy but comfortable bits while going "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING" to all the other much less comforting ones. I hadn't really thought to seek and find out what those narratives are like in other cultures.

Oh, ha. If you want to avoid depictions of unhealthy relationships then you might not enjoy them. Pretty much every one of my recommendations has multiple scenes where the male-lead will grab the female-lead's wrist and drag them somewhere against their will (it's not as bad as I'm making it sound, but it is still uncomfortable). Also most of my recommendations involve at least one scene where a woman is slapped by the male-lead. Also most of my recommendations involve the female-lead getting insulted constantly and being taken for granted for atleast 8 episodes before the male-lead realizes that they have become dependent and can't stop thinking about the female-lead.

That said... I'd go with My Lovely Sam-Soon because she sticks up for herself constantly. This is a large part of what the male-lead begins to respect. Plus Kim Sun Ah's performance is really convincing.

http://www.viki.com/tv/1476c-my-name-is-kim-sam-soon

It's also on Hulu.

My Lovely Sam-Soon has elements that you'll likely find problematic though. I never got to the point where I liked the male-lead character. I think he remains bratty, entitled, and violent. There's also massive affirmation of a cultural norm that has unfair expectations of female beauty, most predominantly weight. This is never questioned and constantly mentioned, having the effect of reaffirming a hurtful and dangerous social-expectation. You could claim that the eventual union of the the two main characters is a rhetoric that argues for that social norm to be invalid... but I think it's more of a case where the resulting self-hatred of considering oneself both "old" and "fat" is used to create a sense of urgency and desperation. I'm ok with it though because it's something that informs Kim Sam-Soon's character; that internalized misogynistic belief is part of who she is. What makes it relevant for me isn't so much the way it pushes her into finding a man, it's the duality where she has this obedient public appearance (that agrees she would be better off young and thin), but when she repeatitively becomes indignant when someone uses those expectations against her. It's complicated, especially when you also consider her family's role in that self-image.

What I'm trying to say is that the difference between the show's tendency to reaffirm harmful and unfair cultural expectations, and its use of those social norms to form interesting characters is debatable.

I love that show, but I actually prefer the more problematic ones that are campy and simple and fun. But I think you might not be able to forgive the male-leads for being such douchebags (the way the female leads tend to do). It's not all let-him-walk-all-over-you-and-he'll-come-around though, typically there is a period where the power dynamic between the couple shifts and the show becomes about how the male-lead has to meet her on her own terms. Still, there are often agressions that never recieve justice or regret by the male-lead characters.

I ordered three pints of ice cream from a local company this weekend and they were just delivered straight to my door. The butterscotch is made with enough scotch that it tastes like I could get drunk on it.

The future is a wonderful, magical place.

So I've managed to spill around 1.5 liters of windsreen wiper fluid in the back of my car. Over the weekend I met my parents at a service station (it was a planned thing, not completely random), and my dad bought me a 2 litre bottle of anitfreeze wiper fluid to put in my car, which I did. I put the bottle in the back of my car, and on the drive back home, it fell over and the lid cracked open.

I only found out yesterday when I got into my car in the morning and the smell hit me. The stuff has been slowly leaking into my car for at least 2 days. I can't quite describe the smell, but it's definitely not good to breathe in.  like you know that slight ethanol-chemical smell you get when you use the wipers? It's like that but 10x as strong, and there's a definite burn in my lungs when I breath it in. When I got to work I definitely felt light-headed. I have no idea how to get rid of this smell, and it's going to get worse on my 3 hour drive back down south on the 24th XD

I have no idea how to get rid of this smell, and it's going to get worse on my 3 hour drive back down south on the 24th XD

I guess find a way to safely leave all the doors open for as long as possible to air it, plus wash the back of the car as best you can? If it's still strong enough by the 24th to be making you feel light-headed, you're going to have to do that drive with all the windows down!