gdf

Life

Know what the worst thing about this is gonna' be? The political fallout. I guarantee that American pro-gun groups are going to point to this as gun control not working. Ugh.

Already happened

(but the trick is that Canada is going to treat this as weird and upsetting but this kind of stuff doesn't always make the news in America.)

Turned out there was nobody inside. Jesus, this is tense and nuts.

The Canadian equivalent of the NRA released a statement:

Canada’s National Firearms Association expresses its sincere condolences to the families and friends of those killed, and to those injured in the terrible incident in Moncton, New Brunswick.

The NFA deplores the terrible actions by a clearly deranged individual that led to these deaths and injuries. Incidents like these demonstrate the validity of the mounting evidence that none of Canada’s firearms control efforts over the past 50 years have had any effect on preventing violence, or otherwise stopping bad people from carrying out their evil deeds.

It is clear that Canada’s excessive firearms control system has failed again. The excessive rules in place do not in any way increase public safety, but merely contribute to an expensive and unnecessary regime which harms only those of lawful intent. Resources wasted on this fundamentally flawed firearms control regime could be better placed to support a health care system which could be better enabled to diagnose and treat conditions that put people’s lives at risk.

Canada’s National Firearms Association is this country’s largest and most effective advocacy organization representing the interests of firearms owners and users.

Classy.

Best news article quote:

By mid-afternoon, in front of Deluxe Fish and Chips and the Baptist Church, traffic suddenly began to build as word spread through social media that police had a building surrounded.

Crowds gathered in the parking lot of the fast food restaurant advertising two lobster rolls for $11.99, and gawked at police officers with their guns drawn.

God people are stupid. Why would you congregate near police with their guns out, let alone somewhere where a gunman famous for shooting random people might be trapped.

I know, right? Admittedly the gunman seems to only be targeting RCMP, but the rubberneckers are still making themselves a liability.

It's been an entire day now. There haven't been any reports of the gunman being seen for hours and the whole city's still in lockdown. I've seen some police cars patrolling my neighbourhood.

People are not stupid enough, because they survive

God people are stupid. Why would you congregate near police with their guns out, let alone somewhere where a gunman famous for shooting random people might be trapped.

Seems like it's the equivalent of standing on your front porch after you've heard that a tornado has been spotted...which is totally a thing I've done.  I don't honestly know how I'd react to a gunman in my area.  The journalist in me would probably want to go watch.  We did have a couple of escaped convicts in our neck of the woods one afternoon, but I just loaded a gun to keep on my desk and kept working. 

Well, there was one time a guy with a rifle was wandering around town while I was in high school.

The school went in to lockdown. Of course this was the one day I was late getting to school, so I couldn't actually go in because they were locked down. Went home and watched TV. Got upset because I got zeroes on a few in-class assignments because inside the school classes continued as normal.

Eventually he was caught a few blocks down from where I lived. It was weird.

Dangit Tegs why you gotta put the best and worst quotes right together. It only makes the best quote so much sweeter.

Come on, town of monks. Come on.

Already happened

(but the trick is that Canada is going to treat this as weird and upsetting but this kind of stuff doesn't always make the news in America.)

Nah, it was on NBC tonight.

Urgh This sort of thing would just have me blockading my darn doors and not going outside for days.

I remember one day when walking home I saw someone carrying around a (unstrung) recursive bow. My initial reaction was kinda 'meh, that's weird' but slowly over the afternoon as my brain had time to build itself a nice little freakout feedback loop, untill I reached a state where I couldn't actually work because of the sense of unease I started to get just sitting at my desk with my back to the window.

Stay safe Tegan

They released the name of one of the RCMP officers who was killed. He had a kid and had just celebrated his fourth anniversary with his pregnant wife. Fuck, man.

My friend's been listening to a police scanner. He tells me that the guy was spotted earlier tonight and that he's been hearing aircraft around his house all evening. I really hope this is all cleared up soon. I'm running out of supplies and I don't want to have to walk around looking for a store that's not closed because of the lockdown.

. I'm running out of supplies and I don't want to have to walk around looking for a store that's not closed because of the lockdown.

That seems like a terrible idea.  Are there any pizza joints delivering?

Stay safe!

Heard sirens a few minutes ago.

That seems like a terrible idea.  Are there any pizza joints delivering?

I'd only be going around the block, possibly as close as next door. Just the same, I'd rather not do it.

Nah, it was on NBC tonight.

No, I meant that there's lots of shootings that occur in America that don't make the news that would make the news if they happened in other countries where mad gunmen are rarer.

Looks like it's all over, the guy gave himself up.

They got him just as I went to bed last night. Wish I'd stayed up a little longer so I wouldn't have been freaked out by all the aircraft I heard. Also, it all happened just a few houses down from my friend.

Do you think they'll ship one for me?

Who needs donuts when it's apparently National Sweden Day, we should both get free Swedens!

Glad to hear you're ok Teg.

Today is National Doughnut Day in the U.S.  Go out and get a free doughnut.

Is it also National Doughnut Day in Canada?