gdf

Life

Yeah, sorry, it's been on my mind a bit and I guess I felt like sharing the pain around :X

No worries, that's what this thread is for right? I just thought it was going to a funny place at first and then... poor kitty. Sorry man.

Just never ever let her watch anything else from that show

But there are important life lessons to be learned. Like what to do if you find a dumpster baby. (Don't worry, that show only comes on after she goes to bed)

My girlfriend of one month broke up with me. Her reasons were entirely relevant and understandable (we were too much alike, so she never found a niche within our relationship to occupy, plus not enough sexual attraction), but it still stings like a motherfucker. I'm somewhere glad that it happened after only a month, because that's, you know, the grace period where you're supposed to figure those things out. But for me, I just reached the age of thirty and I'm dreading the moment that I get a little older than I'm comfortable with to start a family and whatnot. It's a horrible feeling and it's killing me.

Please, Idle Thumbs, be now a balm for my restless spirit!

Sorry bro :(

In case it helps, I've only been married w/ kids for 3 years (anniversary was 7-8). That's how things kind of are these days.

Damn Rodi, that sucks. I can agree with you that at least it happened within a month so that you didn't have to draw anything out that wasn't working. Just concentrate on that as much as you can. Someone else is sure to come along!

Yes. I feel I've dealt with it emotionally already. Only one month coupled with some experience helps one become resilient in these matters. I will take the excellent advice of Mr Wint and Mr Kidd: if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I had a great time with her, it didn't work out, let's move on and go again in a while.

Have you tried the online type of thing for finding dates? The organic process is so slow these days. Two of my friends were getting antsy too and tried online stuff and they're happily married now. dunno.

I may opt for online dating, I'm certainly not averse to it. If all else fails, I'll make a profile in a few months from now.

Handed in my notice today. I'm moving to cork, ancestral homeland of Famous Vanaman I believe, next month to start a new job in a medical devices startup. Eep.

I've been happy for years after meeting my special other through Plenty of Fish — which along with (to a lesser extent) OkCupid are the only ones you should put any time into, and they're free.

Of course a number of hilarious dud dates resulted from using them too, but the point is you can encounter lots of people pretty rapidly. Hint: there is a learning curve much like playing a game, which when overcome can result in way, way more XP. I mean dates.

I've been happy for years after meeting my special other through Plenty of Fish — which along with (to a lesser extent) OkCupid are the only ones you should put any time into, and they're free.

Of course a number of hilarious dud dates resulted from using them too, but the point is you can encounter lots of people pretty rapidly. Hint: there is a learning curve much like playing a game, which when overcome can result in way, way more XP. I mean dates.

I don't believe those sites are used/popular in our neck of the woods.

Also you can't drop a line like 'hilarious dud dates' and not share some stories, man. That's just cruel.

Haha, yeah. I believe in the Netherlands we've got stuff like Lexa and maybe e-matching? OkCupid does spam me regularly to pay attention, but I'm not.

Oh yeah, I guess it varies by region. PoF in particular is so big in the UK it's virtually pointless looking at anything else.

As for the dud dates, it was really just the usual things like 'holy SHIT she looks nothing like her picture' and 'we have literally nothing in common'. I guess the latter can happen in traditional dating too but usually the first encounter is the first date as such, so you get to feel each other out. Verbally.

I will be visiting Stockholm for a few days next week. Any specific things going on there that I have to see? Possibly Video Game related?

I accomplished something!

I fixed my damned Nook. It's been broken for months now, apparently from whatever blocking the infrared touch layer. A toothbrush fixed it. Which feels incredible, after trying to be an author and seeing month after month "no thank you" without ever so much as anything more personal or specific than a form letter. I don't know why this, more than anything else, felt like an accomplishment, but it did.

Also there's this thing, called Virtual Pitch Fest. I bought into it, $50, $10 a pitch. You send out your pitch letter to any Hollywood producer signed up for it, and there are some real names included such as a guy that's doing The Hobbit, among other things. But the reason it costs $10 a pitch is because you are guaranteed a response. If you've never tried to get a script read in Hollywood without a big success already behind you, you've no idea how invaluable that is. Hollywood sits on piles of would be screenplay writers, mountains of paper sitting under them that, considering some of the movies they do put out, must be awful drek almost to a T. That "almost" is where I come in of course, I'm utterly confident I've got a great movie written, and just getting a chance to get through at least a little of the mountain of drek is more than worth $10 a pop. I'm just terrified of another response in the manner of a form letter. But hell, if it was easy it wouldn't pay out six to seven figures now would it?

In Stockholm I remember really liking this historic viking village area that they had.

http://www.stockholmmuseum.com/museums/historic/birka-vikingastaden103.htm

Looking at the Vasa is always hilarious and awesome (though if you've seen the Batavia this is basically more of the same)

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

Overall it's one of those great european capitals that has been one forever and hence has a very nice historical centre.

Stockholm has an Old town that's a tourist trap, but it's pretty charming. If the weather is nice you can take a little cruise around the delta nearby. Then there's the open air museum Skansen. That's probably my top recommendation.

Although I haven't actually been there. But people say good things about it.

Oh, and you should play CK II: The Old Gods to prepare for the trip.

I will be visiting Stockholm for a few days next week. Any specific things going on there that I have to see? Possibly Video Game related?

You should come to Göteborg instead.

Friendly hatred for our fair capital city aside, I have to say it's quite a beautiful city.

Unfortunately I have not really visited the city enough to give much advice on what to see.

I have to agree that Gamla staden (The Old Town) is very beautiful but might be crowded by other people.

As for video game stuff, you could always try to get into one of the offices of either DICE or Avalanche!