Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

Kingz, do you have a source for your assertion that US workers are low productivity? I understand that we have long work weeks, but I'm actually curious to see the statistics on that, not trying to just call you out or anything.

Pb-nRL6Gk1A

I will try to look for data. I wish I kept notes about these things. I feel like am pulling stuff out of my ass when I know that I have encountered these graphs somewhere...

That PDF OssK linked, as far as I can tell from a quick glance, just shows a difference and relative averages. If nothing else, it should illustrate that time spent at work doesn't necessarily directly relate to increase in productivity. In any case, even if US doesn't turn out to have shitty relative productivity, it is still at best middling relative to the rest of the industrialized world.

Also, it is a unique artifact of the American education and popular culture that you automatically side with the poor oppressed businessman and his family rather than the dastardly, lazy worker who's after a free lunch. You need to stop thinking about it in terms of a zero-sum game.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TKCeGc2Ao&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TKCeGc2Ao&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Did you say indentured servitude?

That reminds me; the USA has the highest percentage of its own population in prison - something like 1 in 6 adult males (70% of prisoners also being non-white) (UK is highest in Europe). The USA is also the biggest producer of goods made using prison labour. A major part of its economy is propped up by the use of prison labour.

I'm not sure what that is, but it's not capitalism; and not free market (free, geddit?)

FQoLXBF4uSA

Faith in journalists restored. We need chaps like this that dare to ask the hard-hitting questions. What a hero.

Speaking of politicians being silent.

4W0C7876ky8

That is probably my favorite interview of all time. (It starts at 1:28)

It's so weird, because all he had to say was: "You're right, that sounds terrible and I'm really sorry for any offence it may cause. My intention wasn't to make light of this awful tragedy, but was rather my attempt as a human being to rationalize something difficult and unpleasant. It's hard in situations like that to always say the right thing, and in this case I obviously failed. Once again, I'm very sorry for my insensitive remarks."

Of course, after the accidental assassination of a UK civilian by the police, Sir Ian Blair (head of the police) said exactly the same thing (in different words) as soon as he put down his pre-prepared speech. He somehow got away with it in the media's eye, I think, but he was soon forced out of power by our new Prime Minister -- so it didn't go completely unnoticed.

Zz_6WaIXMQQ

Remind me why I can't play this again :deranged::tdown:

(Not sure about Dan's voice, but Ben's line-readings were very good -- I laughed several times. Dammit. Several times!)

Remind me why I can't play this again :deranged::tdown:

(Not sure about Dan's voice, but Ben's line-readings were very good -- I laughed several times. Dammit. Several times!)

Well, all the voices were done by me. It's just a joke leading on from the thread it links to, none of the recording or script is really from any episodes we were writing. Glad you laughed, though!

Kingz, do you know who Jean Luc Mélenchon is ? :)

I do now, superficially, having wikied the dude. Why exactly should I know about him, tho?

Well, all the voices were done by me. It's just a joke leading on from the thread it links to, none of the recording or script is really from any episodes we were writing. Glad you laughed, though!

Ha. Well the joke's on me then. :hah:

Seriously though, good line-readings as Ben there, er, Ben. I can't stand shitty line-readings (and it seems most people have a tin ear for that sort of thing -- see TellTale's Bone "Special Edition", or those folk who think Fate of Atlantis sounds perfect), so I give you this complement not lightly! :tup:

(Of course, the fact that it's the same person saying all the lines really throws off the timing, and the microphone is no good, but aside from that... it sounded exactly the voice/delivery I imagined when playing your games.)

Is it strange that I would like Alan Moore to whisper me stories before I go to sleep?

I do now, superficially, having wikied the dude. Why exactly should I know about him, tho?

I don't know, he seems like the kind of guy you'd be hoping for the US…*Feels I.

Vimes, if you got something to say why not say it ? :)