ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Just started watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I'd previously watched a couple of random episodes from the first season, but hearing it's pretty shoddy I decided to just jump straight into season two. It's pretty good, so far. Feels tight, in a way the episodes I've watched in season one didn't. Can't really say whether or not they've actually improved, but it's fast-paced and the characters are fun.

Season one feels like a pretty lame episodic serial until it crosses over with the second Captain America film and brings in more long term plots.

I am very much enjoying Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., it's a fun, lighthearted show that tickles me in exactly that 'conspiracy and twists and banter and spy stuff going on'. It definitely picks up around halfway season one, and the second opens strongly.

It may be an unfair comparison, but Agents gets right what Gotham doesn't (so far): it thinks through, logically, the ramifications of what is sets for the rest of world. Where Gotham seems so limited to just the city (nowhere else in the world there seems to be any weird stuff going on, but Gotham city happens to be full of weird toxins and mutations and quasi super-villains), Marvel takes it world-wide. Which builds a much more coherent universe. I can believe the wackiness happening all over the place, whereas in Gotham it feels out of place and undeserved most of the time.

So I didn't know this, but there was a promo comic of Tru TV's Impractical Jokers. Which is weird.

I guess it kinda makes sense because Q is a huge comic fan, but this seems like a weird comic cross over.

Ninja introduced me to the actual show Impractical Jokers, and I am loving it. It's a prank show with the cruelty taken out, instead being predicated on the hosts' embarrassment (they occasionally walk the line still, but it's mostly fine). I have to force myself to stop binge-watching it after my face starts hurting from laughing to the point of tears.

Remember that list of DC movies for the next few years?  Marvel has their version now.

Captain America: Civil War - May 6, 2016.

Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - May 5, 2017.

Thor: Ragnarok  - July 28, 2017.

Black Panther - November 3, 2017

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) - July 6, 2018

The Inhumans - November 2, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1 - May 4, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War, Part 2 - May 3, 2019

B1DerA7CEAA0GZM.jpg

Huh, an Avengers two-parter. Presumably both with the Guardians?

Yes I am strangely okay with this.

Yeah, if the Guardians are in it I'll watch a two-parter!

Also, neat on the Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel announcement. Wasn't expecting that!

Just saw Pride. Really uplifting film, I was expecting it to be overly saccharine but it's not. Really glad I watched after despairing about how fucked up everything seems at the moment.

Dr who playing a marine!? I laughed out loud when I saw those terminator covers. Then it slowly melted my brain as me and a friend tried to figure out how and when this film is supposed to happen. I kept think Sarah Connor was john child and not the other way around. What is going on. So is this going to erase everything that happened in terminator 2 onwards.... Did that already happen with terminator salvation. What's canon anymore. Aaaarrrggggg

I've started watching House of Cards.  I'm not normally into politically themed shows or movies but I'm digging this one so far.  Kevin Spacey is all kinds of captivating.

A movie I just saw that was really great was A Hijacking. It's a Danish film about a cargo ship that gets hijacked by pirates, and focuses on the negotiations that go on between the shipping company and the pirates, specifically their translator, and the relationship between the pirates and the crew  of the hijacked ship. Don't go into it expecting an action movie though, it's much more of a thriller. It's on Netflix, and is my favorite movie I've seen in the last year.

A movie I just saw that was really great was A Hijacking. It's a Danish film about a cargo ship that gets hijacked by pirates, and focuses on the negotiations that go on between the shipping company and the pirates, specifically their translator, and the relationship between the pirates and the crew  of the hijacked ship. Don't go into it expecting an action movie though, it's much more of a thriller. It's on Netflix, and is my favorite movie I've seen in the last year.

Yeah, I watched it a couple weeks after Captain Phillips, and it's almost comical how one is a serious study of the emotional and physical toll of a hijacking and the other is a vanity project by Tom Hanks doing a Pepperidge Farms accent.

I will say the Navy Seal and its aftermath is intense, but that's about it. 

I loved the corpsman bit, but I was so checked out after two hours of "Home Alone on a boat with black people" that it didn't even really register until I talked about it with others.

Double post, but has no one else seen Birdman? I just got back from it and it was really good. I know the trailer makes you think it's about all this magical realism stuff, but it's really just a very tightly screwed script about art and fame and being an old and somewhat ugly Michael Keaton. I can't wait to own it six months from now and watch it intensively.

I've been avoiding the trailer as it's a deffo-watch for me. Have to wait until Jan 2nd for it to come out over here, though.

For the second time in 13 years, I watched spirited away. I probably would've enjoyed it more if it wasn't part of a ghibli marathon looking for protagonist tropes.

The first time I watched it was actually very affecting because of the little things that were in it that are very specifically designed to be scary for children that I don't find scary anymore. It sucks that I can't watch it in the same way I watched it before.

I finished the first season of House of Cards.  There's a lot of stuff to keep track of and I'm starting to get a little lost but its still fascinating to watch.

If you're enjoying House Of Cards, you might find it interesting to check out the BBC 80s adaptation of it. It's a lot slower but it's got a great central performance from Ian Richardson (otherwise perhaps best known from Dark City and, apparently, familiar to American television viewers as the man in the Rolls-Royce who asks "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?" which is a reference in Wayne's World I now understand).

I just saw Nightcrawler and found it really interesting. A great central performance from Jake Gyllenhaal and interesting subject matter. The score was quite distracting -

I assume it's meant to be ironic, playing triumphant or transcendent themes over grimy scenes, but I didn't really feel this necessary.