ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Well, he is only talking about Downey's performance, right?

Yep, exactly true. Although it was apparently so bad that he walked out the cinema... Right, Nach. Right?

As a random aside, was Pirates 4 really bad?

I liked the first three quite a bit (I find most of the reasons people hate the third movie to be... absurd), so I was interested in the fourth, but I never saw it. U:

Just about every review (on here, and professional critics) seems to agree: This is an improvement over the original.

Nah. The original was fun. This was stilted and boring. The only genuinely good bit was

on the train

As a random aside, was Pirates 4 really bad?

I liked the first three quite a bit (I find most of the reasons people hate the third movie to be... absurd), so I was interested in the fourth, but I never saw it. U:

Yes, awful, although I also didn't enjoy the third one. (Thought the first one was fun, and really enjoyed the second one, although they should have lifted out the entire cannibal tribe section.)

Just saw The Big Year. I like these kinds of movies, they're rather simple, and easy going. Also, the birding thing is kind of interesting (and weird at some times). Even though there were a lot of birds, there was no puffins.

Yeah, it's just Downey's performance I had a problem with. It's hammy and massively overacted, which I don't remember it being like in the first one. I liked that one a lot, and thought it was a tremendous amount of fun.

If I'm on my own and a film is bad, I'll walk out. If I'm with friends, I might take a nap.

You know: Community isn't bad. It's still trying too hard to seem quirky in an off-handed way, but it's funny.

Three random things:

1. The Arabic Abed's family speak is weird. It's a super accented take on classical Arabic that nobody ever uses anymore. Also, the way people say "Abed" is, like, weirder.

2. Writing some of these scenes must have been very difficult. I can only imagine how hard it is to write something with seven or eight people in a room and give them all something fun to do.

3. I kind of wish the voice of reason would float in every once in a while. There's one particular scene in episode three that could have been resolved had someone simply said that different cultures sometimes clash.

But good show. It's finally growing on me.

What timing!

Scott and I finally watched Community last week and quite liked it.

It always makes me laugh when actors try to speak a language they don't really master to even a little degree.

Kevin *****'s German in X-Men First Class for example was almost unintelligible.

It's pretty much always funny to hear American actors trying to speak Dutch, or same something is Dutch.

Also this:

That's not a German Dark Ale. It's Grolsch, a good Dutch pilsner.

edit: why is ***** also censored like *********?

Ok, ElMuerte, are you ready for this? I though Kevin *****'s German accent in First Class was weird and unnatural too. It just so happened I went to the cinema with an East-Berlin native and she thought it was perfectly natural. The most likely explanation is that the accent is actually good, but it's an East-German accent that we Dutchmen are unfamiliar with because he only hear the Western side.

Ok, ElMuerte, are you ready for this? I though Kevin *****'s German accent in First Class was weird and unnatural too. It just so happened I went to the cinema with an East-Berlin native and she thought it was perfectly natural. The most likely explanation is that the accent is actually good, but it's an East-German accent that we Dutchmen are unfamiliar with because he only hear the Western side.

That is vaguely possible. I had a hard time understanding him at points, but I thought it was because my German is a tad rusty and I was trying to interpret for people at the same time (we had subtitles off). However, my family and I are from Munich, which was west Germany...

Reminds me of HOUSE. When it was first broadcast over here (in the UK), there was tons of things online like, "Yeah, it's a great show, but it's so embarrassing to watch Hugh Laurie's awful American accent. It practically ruins the show!"

To which the response was:

"Um, I'm actually from New England, and that's exactly how we speak. In fact, I didn't know he was British until I read this thread."

"I can vouch for the above poster. Dr. House sounds like everyone I know. It's perfect."

etc.

I was amazed, because I thought it sounded terrible, too.

I think it was after the 2005 Emmy win for House that I saw an American complaining about the "awful mock British accent he put on for his acceptance speech".

I think it was after the 2005 Emmy win for House that I saw an American complaining about the "awful mock British accent he put on for his acceptance speech".

Haha! Poor guy can't win :)

For more German accent humor (probably only funny to Dutch people), here's some Tampert. For those not in the know: it's from Dutch comedy group Jiskefet, it's a spoof of a German detective series and deliberately acted in the most awkward, stilted German possible.

QN40ayFkOls

I will raise you with Finns speaking deliberately terrible faux-German: Die Kühe

K5d7BfjE3Hc

I was watching episode three of Community. This tickled me. Arabic and English subtitles pop-up together to say: "I think the wrong person just left." However, the Arabic subtitles say, "I think the wrong person is left," meaning the direction. Hee.

</probably stupid but whatever>

Oh man the Arabic in this thing is the weirdest mix between Google translate and extremely accented classical Arabic. Kinda like saying, "Verefoor art thoo Roomeo innit." It's cracking me up.

The show is also funny in a good way, mind.

Managed to get to the cinema (30 seconds walk to bus stop, 4 mins from bus stop to cinema, do-able) and see Haywire and The Artist.

Enjoyed Haywire - lean, cool, good fight and chase scenes. Not much to it, but it's only 90 mins so you don't really care.

I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't enjoy The Artist. A boring, shallow drama that is utterly unsuited to the black-and-white-no-sound gimmick. There was some charm in the first fifteen minutes or so, but after that I found it a real chore.

See, I've been really wary about seeing The Artist. It seems like one of those movies where regardless of the actual quality of the film, people will feel obligated to rave about it or risk losing their cred. Not that it actually is a bad film or even a not-brilliant one, I haven't seen it and can't make that call, but I don't think that what other people tell you about a film like that can ever really be trust-able.

Well I was smiling pretty much throughout, but I don't really trust my own tastes, so there isn't much reason why you should.

OH WHATEVER, Ben is wrong. It's charming and lovely.