Intrepid Homoludens

Just what ARE you playing right now?

6461_2004-03-22_02_thumb.jpg

1. Beyond Good & Evil

2. Grand Theft Auto 3

3. No One Lives Forever 2

4. Tron 2.0

I had to restart NOLF2 because all my savegames were mysteriously deleted. I'm pretty deep into Tron but it's really difficult (I'm playing on 'hard'), I had to resort to a cheat to get through a level. I've been taking my sweet time with GTA3, no need to feel rushed. BG&E is just excellent, I'm fluctuating b/t gorging and savouring.

1. none. damn school.

But the games on my "must finish" list are:

1. Baldur's Gate 2 (this may take 10 years)

2. NWN expansion, Shadows of Undrentide

3. Arcanum

4. Simpsons Hit & Run

5. 007 Everything or Nothing

6. Silent Hill 2

7. Fallout 1 & 2

8. Icewind Dale 2

9. Freedom Fighters (haven't even opened the box)

10. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

In this exact order.

and that's it. once I'm done with all these I'll start buying new games.

Hey, neat thread. Write a bit about what you're playing too, bitches!

This week is retro week, so I have mostly been eating:

1) Zelda - Ocarina of Time (Gamecube). I am such a trend-setter! Only six years late to the party, but I'm really impressed. OOT has actually stood the test of time and is still very clearly brilliant, even if the dungeons can be infuriating. Today I managed to solve in seconds a puzzle I'd spent hours on last week - go me! However, I am really looking forward to the new Zelda game now. It had better be good. It had BETTER be.

2) Wing Commander 4 (DVD edition). Pah, 6 CDs be gone! I have the ELITE DVD version, subject of many a bidding war on Ebay (into which I was only too happy to hurl my currently over-inflated wallet) with high-res movies and everything! It's great, with a 'proper' cast (well, Mark Hamill and Biff off Back to the Future) and proper sets and proper film and EVERYTHING.

3) Counter-Strike. Damn you Steam, you're shit! STEAMING shit, you might say! Ho ho! Man, Valve walked right into that one. Luckily, the games that lies beneath are worth wading through it for, just about.

4) Blake's 7!!!!!!!!111 OK, not a game, but I've been consuming an unhealthy amount of it lately. Damn it, DVD box sets!

1. Thief: Deadly Shadows

2. Gish

3. GTA Vice City when I feel the need to rape hookers and cut their heads off (in no particular order).

1.Gish

2.Ballance

3.Turbo Sliders

4.Syberia 2

5.Sam'n Max hit the road

And the games I'm going to play next are Beyond Good&Evil and GTA:VC.

And last but not least my loooong time consuming projects Shenmue & Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

1. Beyond Good and Evil (almost done finally, Chris)

2. Half Life Opposing Force (woo PC ownership)

3. GTA Vice City

4. Gish (thanks to all here for recommending)

5. 5 Days a Stranger :)

1. Indiana Jones & The Emperor's Tomb

2. Knights of the Old Republic

3. Kick Off (amiga emulator)

4. Dark Forces (original DOS version) mostly to help with my contribution to the DF mod for Jedi Academy.

In the last 3 months I've also had a cursory glance at Longest Journey and The Dig, but of which I bought at a pawn shop for a $2.00 each. I put them aside for some phase in my life when I have more spare time.

jp, have you reached von Beck's Revenge in Emperor's Tomb yet?

I've been stuck on the level for over a year now. How I hate it.

I'm playing KOTOR, like addictively playing it, I can't stop. It's quite good. Occasionally I pull myself away for long enough to try and retain some of my skill in JA online.

Currently on tap:

Thief Deadly Shadows

Battlefield Vietnam

City of Heroes

Beyond Good & Evil is superb - completed it twice!

What server do you use on CoH? I'm currently playing "The Cast Member" on Infinity.

Right now I play (in no particular order):

Trackmania

Simcity 4 (with Rushhour)

Baldur's Gate II

F1 Challenge '99-'02

Thief: Deadly Shadows

EDIT: Some I forgot:

Settlers II Gold

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (I should finish it sometime)

Rollercoaster Tycoon (occasionally)

Pysol

still need to play:

Splinter Cell 2

Max Payne 2

Painkiller? is it any good?

oh and i attempted Zak McKracken for the 40283th time recently...again I left the game half way through :/

Well, Max Payne 2 is smashing. Pretty much more of the first one, same kind of fun but prettier eye candy.

Painkiller? Can't say entirely, but I did play the demo and it's great mindless fun if you want something easy to pick up an drop after an hour or so. Awesome physics.

1. Fire Emblem

2. Fire Emblem

3. Good God, Fire Emblem

I brought my GBA to Italy with me and only brought one game (guess which one). It turned out to be more than enough. I've had this game for almost 6 months now and it's still completely playable. At GDC I was kind of skeptical when the Fire Emblem team received a nomination for Best Writing (alongside the likes of Broken Sword 3 and KOTOR), even after owning the game for a while. Now, however, I completely agree with the nomination (which was unfortunately only given to the original Japanese writers--I suspect the English translators as well deserve some commendation for their excellent work). The game has a MASSIVE amount of writing, far more than any strategy game I've played on any system, assuming you count Fire Emblem as a strategy game. The dialogue occasionally borders on the cheesy, but in general that tends to be because the writers obviously went to great length to create distinct and memorable characters, and that sort of thing is unfortunately quite uncommon in games outside of genres like adventure and RPG (and they often don't succeed in this regard). Remarkably, you could play through the game and miss a great deal of dialogue. There are plenty of hidden scenarios as well as in-game conversations between characters that are only revealed by particular circumstances. For example, in a mission I played on the plane a few hours ago, by complete chance I happened to position one of my healer characters next to a recently-acquired mercenary. The mercenary (again by pure chance) happened to be missing exactly one hit point--and the healer initiated a conversation, saying something like "Oh, you've got a scar on your cheek, let me fix that up for you"; a rather awkward exchange ensued, he being somewhat reluctant to accept her help on account of his rogueish ego. The game actually healed his 1hp automatically. It was unexpected and circumstantial, and the game is packed full of little bits like that.

This is all of course completely in addition to the game's very solid gameplay, which is what kept me hooked for the first few months. I really didn't start to fully appreciate the writing until recently, but it's renewed my interest.

1. Beyond Good and Evil (almost done finally, Chris)

woot

5. 5 Days a Stranger :)

woot

What do you think? Also, you might already be aware of this, but Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, who authored that game, has a bunch of other AGS games, many of which are considered classics.

GTA Vice City and replaying Hitman Contracts with just a suit (trying to get no disguises and silent assasin on as many levels as I can).

I want to check out the new splinter cell at some point.

I still havent finished emporers tomb, I reinstalled it the other day but it seemed so boring that I couldn't be bothered playing.

With a voodoo doll.

But also, Thief: DS is what I will be playing tomorrow.

Right now, I am destroying a nation in Civilisation III. It's my nation. And technically, I'm not the one destroying it.

I might try to finish Final Fantasy X some time, but it really does annoy me.

Ghost Master

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (damn the Emperor's Tomb levels)

In Memoriam

Tron 2.0

Purge Jihad

XIII

Thief III Demo (full game when it gets released in the UK on June 11th)

The Longest Journey and Counter-Strike.

I don't have much time to play, though. Sometimes I invite some friends over for the weekend and we'll play Medal of Honour, WarCraft 3 and Unreal Tournament over the LAN.

--Erwin

woot

What do you think? Also, you might already be aware of this, but Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, who authored that game, has a bunch of other AGS games, many of which are considered classics.

Aye. He did the Rob Blanc games and Odysseus Kent and some other stuff... he used to write a decently entertaining column for Adventure Developers, back when that was a site. I don't know if anyone else actually found it entertaining, but Yahtzee's column is what got me interested in amateur adventuremaking int he first place.