David

Nerd Shirts

Oh man, for a few minutes today I was tempted to buy a Penny Arcade T-shirt. This one, specifically. Thankfully, the feeling subsided, but it made me wonder about something. Who here wears t-shirts of this type, meaning a shirt that advertises that you visit a certain website regularly, or perhaps that you play a lot of video games?

I haven't bought any clothing over the internet. Though I am a nerd, I tend to let my awkward words and actions clue people into this fact, rather than wearing a shirt that that screams "hey, let's never hang out" or something that requires several minutes of explanation to pedestrians. Am I conceited? I tend to laugh at these shirts when I see them tacked up on a webpage, but after a phase early in high school where I wore "Dilbert" and "The Far Side" T-shirts, I realized that the humor wore away quickly, and the shirts actually became kind of annoying to wear.

I don't really know where I'm going with this; I'm pretty bad at starting threads...does anyone else have an opinion on this kind of apparel? :) I suppose there's the whole thing about wanting to show support for the website that it comes from, but I think I'd mostly stay inside if I was wearing a gamer/webcomic/code-joke shirt.

I always wanted to get a "nerdy" shirt or a shirt that has something that I like on it, but because of my lack of financial funds I can't afford any (I also don't have a credit card).

I especially want the Beatels Revolver T-shirt (not nerdy, but it's still an advertisment) and I still plan to get it one day. There's also a certain shirt that I had my eye on for quite sometime. And I can't even count the times that I prayed for a Mario shirt.

The problem is that I can't afford them, they're just ridiculously expensive. Hopefully someday I shall have the Beatles caressing my manly bosom (that came out wrong, but still).

I find some geek shirts really fun - but it really depends on what is written on them. Some are creative and quirky (for instance the cheat code for unlimited life in Contra, to the life hearts from Zelda) and others annoying. It really depends on your tastes.

If I do buy geek shirts, I get the ones saying how much I love geeks (because geeks are awesome in my book) but I don't find the shirts to necessarily define who you are.

Anyhow, like pitfalls of all apparel, either it looks good or it doesn't to other people. It's all about personal choice.

As a rule I never wear clothes that blatantly advertise things. I am not a walking billboard, unless they pay me. But I will wear something with a logo if I love the sheer design of it - aesthetics over commerce for me. Right now I'm wearing a nice pea green t-shirt I bought at H&M (for only $13!) that has a huge script font on the chest saying 'Clayton Grove', whatever the hell that means. I love this shirt because of the design, and it fits me beautifully, slim (not tight) and comfy - a well tailored t-shirt.

I do like graphics on clothes, but only if they work with the overall design of the clothing. I plan on getting a couple Psychonauts t-shirts - because I love the design, not because I want to advertise their products (with all due respect, fuck you double fine! I love you but on my own terms :grin: ).

I'd wear nerdy shirts. Not one with Tycho on them though. Anything else is fine!

Thanks for telling me what you're wearing Trep! But I have a question. Are you wearing that T-shirt with boot-cut or flared trousers? Or just plain straight-leg?

I have two Foamy the Squirrel shirts and a Happy Tree Friends shirt that were purchased. Other than that, I have an Alienware shirt that came with the computer.

The only shirts that I feel "nerdy" in are my University of North Dakota shirts though. Because, dear God, who wants to advertise that you go to college in North-Podunk-Dakota?

A billion shifty eyes, shifting unanimously to the left.

Thanks for telling me what you're wearing Trep! But I have a question. Are you wearing that T-shirt with boot-cut or flared trousers? Or just plain straight-leg?

You're welcome, dear. I've since changed (just took a shower), but I was wearing it actually with slouchy cargo shorts. I usually wear my t-shirts with such shorts or bootcut jeans. I think if it were a slim sleeveless t-shirt I'd wear my straight leg jeans with the very high roll-up cuffs.

You guys sell idlethumbs thongs? That's a lot of wishful thinking.

the fact that it has a pair of ascii shifty eyes on it is a dead giveaway to the seriousness of the product :shifty:

the fact that it has a pair of ascii shifty eyes on it is a dead giveaway to the seriousness of the product :shifty:

Ah yes, the shifty eyes - I'm still not quite used to its many uses. I guess I looked at the thong rather than what was on it. And besides, it's WHITE - the absolutely wrong color for thongs.

I don't own many logo t-shirts. I proudly wear my USA ARMY OF ONE t-shirt because is it is a totally ludicrous thing one would never suspect me to wear.

I don't wear many logo shirts either. Unless I've got them as gifts and they aren't too awful etc.

Fact: my grandmother gave me a t-shirt that says "John Boner". (or something like that; she doesn't speak English)

I'd like to wear a Ulukai shirt, but I've been too lazy to get one/more made...

My parents gave me a Firefox shirt... I feel bad wearing it. The only other shirts like that I own are DF related. I usually like either plain shirts or shirts that look cool but are pointless (like the stuff from Threadless). I can't stand sports shirts or the retarded vintage shirts that seem to be so popular. Why exactly do you want a date on your shirt?

I have a nice shirt-story that happened just now for real.

I was biking my way to the office on German streets (seeing as how I live in Germany right now) and wearing one of my favourites: a redder than red Incredibles T-shirt that I got on my previous job at Mediamarkt for promotional uses. I know, that makes me the ultimate commercial slut, but the tee is just too nice. It has the Incredibles logo on the front and a 'now on DVD!' below it. All very nice with oranges and yellows. Gorgeous. Anyway. I ride my fahrrad down the road and am suddenly pulled over by a car. In it is a middleaged man of some expansive width, and he asks me where he could buy the shirt. I began stumbling in my best German that it was promotional and not for sale, and he should try Ebay (surely they know Ebay in Germany). So he drives off and all of a sudden I feel completely happy. With my shirt, and the world. Also, it was really sunny and warm, and I wore a touristy blanc fisherman's hat that I bought in Spain when I was visiting Jaf.

So, that's about it. I'm sure Yufster could tell it a million times funnier.

I order lots of clothes from the internet, as should be obvious from any E3 picture I'm in.

I never really buy nerd clothing though. Apart from this one black ulti-nerd shirt I bought a couple of years ago that had white Arial letters on it saying "I drink my coffee #000000". :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: But that was more of an office joke at the time.

where do you buy your shirts then? Cause I'm looking for some good online T-shirt shops

where do you buy your shirts then? Cause I'm looking for some good online T-shirt shops

I like to use Thinkgeek . They usually have a really good collection for geeky shirts. I think most webcomics sell their own shirts from cafepress.

I hope this helps!

I order lots of clothes from the internet, as should be obvious from any E3 picture I'm in.
You are analog. You were analog for 2+ days, in fact! :clap:

At least you weren't Muttley, ever.

Also, I might be wearing a Napoleon Dynamite shirt in various E3 pictures. I can't remember, but oh noes I am undone.