lailoken

Seen any good movies lately?

I saw Downfall today which was pretty horrific but also really really good and worth watching. Except: boy, worst mother ever, huh?

Yeah I really liked "Downfall" as well. Especially because to me it managed to demystify a lot of stuff about these figures. That really helps you deal with them.

I just saw Solaris again. I think it's one of the greatest movies ever. Amazing soundtrack in combination with awesome camerawork and acting.

I know, I know, the book is no doubt better and the original movie was without a doubt better you all will say. But the combination of camerawork and soundtrack can never be topped in my humble opinion

well I just got really sick and tired of soderberghs camerawork. I think you can always tell if you are watching a soderbergh movie. I am not saying it isn't nice, it's just that he keeps on doing the same shots and composition... (if memory suits me right, he does the cinematography himself)

I just saw Solaris again. I think it's one of the greatest movies ever. Amazing soundtrack in combination with awesome camerawork and acting.

I know, I know, the book is no doubt better and the original movie was without a doubt better you all will say. But the combination of camerawork and soundtrack can never be topped in my humble opinion

I just watched the Russian original, I'm not sure if it's the kind of movie that I could watch over and over like 2001 (having just finished watching it about 20 minutes ago I can't form an opinion on that), but it was incredible.

Now I have to watch the soderbergh version....

I liked Life Aquatic and Garden State. The last film I watched was some Kurosawa's Seven Samurai on DVD.

That is some quality entertainment.

If you liked Seven Samurai have you seen any of his other stuff?

Throne of Blood, Ran, and Yojimbo are essential, I watched Ran for the first time two weeks ago, if Kurosawa hadn't been getting old he would have made some incredible colour films.

oh man. i gave my housemate so much stick for making me watch it. then it was on an eight hour flight i was on too. i thought it was really terrible.

but hey, each to their own!

i think it's been a pretty good year for movies - the life aquatic, sin city, batman begins. and i know it'll be crap but i'm looking forward to the fantastic four anyway.

Wow, yeah gotta watch me some film-noir.... so much stuff to see... so little time... also I saw " The Leopard" (Il Gattopardo) and now I just wanna see ALL those old Burt Lancaster movies!

The noir I saw recently was Steve Martin's Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

I needn't say more.

The few qualityfilms I saw recently were American Splendour and Magnolia. Is it just me, or does Tom Cruise have just as many one-liners as Arnold, but gets way more slack for it? 'Show me the money', 'Respect the c*ck', an I'm sure there's a heap more but I'm not a Cruise fan or anything so I wouldn't know. Clue me in.

The noir I saw recently was Steve Martin's Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Yuck.

I just rewatched the pilot episode \ movie of Twin Peaks, along with the prequel Fire Walk With Me, and now I'm rewatching my vhs boxed set of the entire show. Great stuff.

Yeah Ran is amazing, haven't seen Yojimbo yet and Throne of Blood is ace.

Ran really amazes me from a directional point of view as some of the stuff and the way Kurosawa did it is really impossible to me. Only in Japan!

Yuck.

I just rewatched the pilot episode \ movie of Twin Peaks, along with the prequel Fire Walk With Me, and now I'm rewatching my vhs boxed set of the entire show. Great stuff.

I just recently for the first time watched the first season of Twin Peaks.

*Cooper takes a sip of coffee, spits it out violently*

,,Damn good coffee! And HOT!"

I just recently for the first time watched the first season of Twin Peaks.

*Cooper takes a sip of coffee, spits it out violently*

,,Damn good coffee! And HOT!"

There is so much great stuff in that first season. The second season, a little less so.

There is so much great stuff in that first season. The second season, a little less so.

Yeah, Lynch wasn't really that much involved in the second season, he was pretty pissed off at how the second season had went while he was away, he did try to repair some things with the last episode of second season and Fire walk with me movie.

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night. I thought it was pretty good. I loved Elfman's score. It also had a new trailer for The Corpse Bride. Man, that movie looks fantastic. I can't really compare it to the other version since it's been years since I've seen it and I don't really remember it that well. I just read over at IMDb that the guy who wrote the screenplay for Charlie had never seen the old one, and when he watched after writing his version he was surprised by how dark it was.

[edit]I just read this article over at IGN, and he seemed to think that the new one was darker. Interesting. He also said that he liked the new one better.

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night. I thought it was pretty good. I loved Elfman's score. It also had a new trailer for The Corpse Bride. Man, that movie looks fantastic. I can't really compare it to the other version since it's been years since I've seen it and I don't really remember it that well. I just read over at IMDb that the guy who wrote the screenplay for Charlie had never seen the old one, and when he watched after writing his version he was surprised by how dark it was.

[edit]I just read this article over at IGN, and he seemed to think that the new one was darker. Interesting. He also said that he liked the new one better.

I loved the old one and I loved the new one. Personally I wouldn't ever try to compare them in a 'which is better' way, 'cause I love 'em both.

After a string of 4 days, seeing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Scarface, Requiem for a Dream (1st time), and Traffic (1st time, even if not as much a drug movie as the rest), I am officially Fucked Up in the Head.

That's really not a good bunch of movies for your brain to watch in a row in that quick succession.

Fucking hell.

Oh yes, Charlie and the Chocalate Factory was thoroughly excellent. And I refuse to compare it to the original.

Except for the Oompa Loompa song. I mean, c'mon, at least put the original one on the last minute of the credits at least.

Wow, it only took Requiem for a Dream to faze me for two days. That's one nasty movie.

I read about it months ago and completely forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, it looks good.

I saw quite a few movies this/last month.

Madagasscar - It was surprisingly good. I hated nearly any other of Dreamworks' animated movies (especially Shark Tale), but this one was actually entertaining and funny, and it didn't have all the ridiculous "I'm Will Smith, I'm cool" type of thing unlike some of thier other movies.

Rumble Fish - The last time I saw it I was 14 so I forgot much of it. It was better than I remebered, The Motorcycle Kid is an excellent character in my opinion, Mickey Roureke never appealed to me, but he really made the movie for me (along with the bizzare style). It had a few too many scenes with the police officer saying: "he's up to no good", I just find that silly.

Vanilla Sky - No sir, I don't like. There was this pointless love scene in which they played the live version of Bob Dylan's Fourth Time Around, it's my favorite Dylan song and like all love scenes it was a dreadful part in the movie. Leave Dylan out of it!

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers - It was weird, amusing, and somewhat disquieting. So I liked it.

I'm also currently watching Angels in America. I just watched the third chapter and I like it, Pacino's character is just disturbing and his acting is just perfect.

I'm still waiting to see Howl's Moving Castle and Hitchhikers Guide, hopefully this week.

And I'm watching a ton of Monty Python. :woohoo:

EDIT: Yesterday I saw a Naked Gun marathon, all three of 'em! Good times were had by all (all being me).

The third one still has some of the greatest analogies I've heard:

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes."

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through."

EDIT THE SECOND: I apparently called Vanilla Sky; Vanilla Ice. It was a long day, I was feeling kinda odd, and though I didn't like Vanilla Sky it's still no excuse to mix it with Vanilla Ice.

I apologize.

Oh in terms of Dreamworks animation might I suggest El Dorado?

It might not be everyone's cup of the but Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh combined are simply a force to be reckoned with. Sure it feels a lil dated since it still adhere's to the old Disney "why waste a great moment with dialogue when you can SING" thing... but I even... like... the ... soundtrack... *runs away and hides under a brick*

Oh in terms of Dreamworks animation might I suggest El Dorado?

It might not be everyone's cup of the but Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh combined are simply a force to be reckoned with. Sure it feels a lil dated since it still adhere's to the old Disney "why waste a great moment with dialogue when you can SING" thing... but I even... like... the ... soundtrack... *runs away and hides under a brick*

Yeah, I heard good things but never saw it. I can handle the singing... I think.

My main problem is with Dreamworks' 3D animation, it seems like they just rush them, get a few famous people to voice and release regardless if it's good or not. It may not apply on every one of their 3D films, but Shark Tale was terrible in my opinion, and I can't say I enjoyed Shrek.