Henke

[Release] In Search Of Paradise

-interior cam. (root, would you be up for modelling the interior?)

I think between the gas station, the textures i still want to put on the car and the cacti (and the gas station), and the finalizing of the Dr. Breckon model for Superbiasedman, adding a car interior to that is probably more than I can realistically produce in a week.

Thanks, folks! :)

@root, no problem. I probably have enough on my plate without the interior cam anyway. And don't worry about the cacti textures so much, I think they look alright as they are. Of course I'll implement them tho if you really have your heart set on making them.

@Akidu, good stuff! There's more engine sounds in here than I'll ever need! :) If you've got the time and the inclination, I could use some other sounds as well. I'll send a list!

Do you guys want your full names in the credits btw? Or forum names, or twitter handles? Let me know.

notes_800px.jpg

Things added and crossed off the to-do list, so far.

Recent additions are improving engine sound, with gear changes and everything. Gamepad controls fully integrated everywhere. Camera control with the right stick. Rest-option at gas station. Yesterday, on a whim, I added a first person on-foot mode. And today I fixed everything the addition of the on-foot mode broke. Still not sure I got it all, but I'm glad to have this addition. Now, when you car runs out of fuel, you can actually get out and walk to the next gas station and ask to have your car towed there! :D

I'm living vicariously through your cross-outs. Love the idea of the on-foot version, I can imagine it being very zen. Just you, your footsteps, and the landscape stretching forever around you, promising Paradise just beyond every ridge.

ISOP_header01.jpg

Been working intensely this past week, and I took a day off work today so I could get this finished in time. As far as gameplay and story goes, In Search Of Paradise is now COMPLETE! As in, it has a beginning, middle, and end. There are still a few things that need to be done before it's complete-complete tho.

Still to do:

-fix a few bugs with the menus

-add all the sounds.

-implement final models.

-start menu/screen

-polish, nicer fonts in menus.

-itch.io page and trailer

With 1 week of the Jam down, and a little over a week to go, this is where I'm at!

The gameplay systems are mostly done. Latest additions include menus, savepoints, and gamepad controls(except they don't work in menus yet). Still to go is creation of most of the gameworld, perhaps some quests, and the ending.

Stretch goals:

-car upgrades.

-interior cam. (root, would you be up for modelling the interior?)

-VR!?

That video!  :tup:

Alrightey, final day of the jam! Let's get jammin' and crammin'!  :eyebrow:

I had some people do last-minute beta testing, and based on that I've made the opening areas of the game a bit easier to navigate, and increased the fuel economy of the car. Also gonna need to make a few other, minor final adjustments. Unfortunately, unforseen events have kept root from finishing the gas station model and car texture. So the v1.0 release, as well as the initial website graphics and trailer will look a bit rougher than than they should. Will update all that later in the week.

I'll be uploading the game and launching the website tonight. About 8-12 hours from now.

Also, my game got mentioned in the latest ep of Idle Thumbs! Woop woop!

ISOP_gasstation.jpg

root had prepared the fuel pumps and station bay earlier in the week, so I put together the shack myself in blender this morning, then slapped on some textures from cgtextures.com. Good enough for v1.0!

I'm still finishing up textures on the models, which feels weirdly appropriate, since I made the models before the jam actually started.  Seems like most of my contributions to wizard jam 2016 are taking place outside of the actual duration of wizard jam 2016.  There's no rules.

Cool. I'll release an updated version later in the week.Also if anyone has any feedback, suggestions, or bugreports, don't hesitate to let me know!

This is a pretty chilled out desolate wasteland driving experience, if I do say so. Also, I learned the hard way that you can perform a high speed dismount from your car! I watched helplessly as my ride shot off into the blackness. I followed the glimmer of its headlights as the sun went down, then died cold and alone in the weird desert woods.

This is a good time.  :tup:

I sat back with a beer, and drove. Thankfully I can get towed back to the last station because I managed to flip myself a lot.

I sat back with a beer, and drove. Thankfully I can get towed back to the last station because I managed to flip myself a lot.

Here's a tip if that happens:

just get out of the car and push it back over!

This game is impressively large! The second gas station was easy enough to find, but I ran out of gas before finding another one, twice in a row. I never managed to find Paradise, but I had fun driving around!

I finished the game today, and I really enjoyed it! Often when games try to do deserts they can end up feeling a bit small and constraining, but you managed to convey a real sense of scale without it feeling too large for a video game. I especially enjoyed the atmosphere of the different places in the world, driving towards the power lines in the distance, or looking down from the plateau behind the canyon, it felt really immersive, for lack of a better word :).

Thanks!

And yeah atte, I'm getting a good bit of traffic from that warpdoor mention. :)

Anyway I just uploaded v1.1. Implemented root's final texture for the car, and made improvements to the camera control when using M+KB.

Newcar.jpg

I just came here to post that! I wrote a comment letting people know that it was from a Thumbs jam as the article didn't clarify that.

Oh man, so I found station #3, then left. I ended up back at the beginning of the game somehow I think? But I went straight away from the 3rd station I thought. Is this one of those "paradise was right here all along" kind of things, or did I just really screw up that drive. In any case, it was fun, and I didn't die this time :)

I just loaded up Rock Paper Shotgun and saw a familiar car.

:D

RPS is my favourite gaming site, and to finally have a game featured on it is just, man, I don't even know what to say. It's fucking great!

Oh man, so I found station #3, then left. I ended up back at the beginning of the game somehow I think?

Hmm, you might've pressed the K key by accident, which brings you back to the start. It's just for dev purposes and I forgot to take out. You can also press H, or G, to hide the fuel meter. That I put in so I could get nice, clean footage for the trailer.

I'll clean up that and some other minor things for the next version, probably later this week.