Cordeos

Stellaris: Iron Victoria Europa Kings in space!

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Does that chain continue with new events or is that thing just going to plow through the galaxy towards me? I assumed that it would have unlocked a bunch of research to learn the true nature of the event but so far, I haven't gotten anything like that. I also cannot go probe it because of the border access issues.

If it's anything like I ran into, it should be visible on the map and be a very quickly expanding blob. No new research, unless you get some kills and use a science ship to salvage, and no new events that I saw, but I also ate up a neighbor and got over there pretty quickly once i saw how fast it was expanding. It was pretty tough.

Hmm.. Interesting. I'm a bit surprised that they did not fight "Crises" to begin with. Anyway, I attacked my neighbor out of boredom, took some of its planets and vassalized the rest. Now I have sort of a problem with the separatists and am in an alliance with two empires that want to go to war with someone. To be honest, Overwatch has been more absorbing than Stellaris of late, but if I get back to fast forwarding my empire, I can report on how the the Thing worked out.

Fixed the AI empire having highly self-destructive ideas about AI legality

The best

So if they declared it illegal, would they cease to exist? I'm not familiar with the mechanics of that particular law.

No, i think it would be more that their government wouldnt function properly, the laws they can change stopped them generating leaders.

I started a new game last night that I played for about 30-45 minutes before passing out. Either they've tightened up the interface or it actually surfaces more than I remembered. The tutorial is great. I just picked Generic Humans and starting in the Sol system gives it that very Civilization feel.

Who knows if I'll continue to play long enough to run into the things that people still have issues with, but I remembered last night how fun the feeling of that first couple of hours is.

I started a new game last night that I played for about 30-45 minutes before passing out. Either they've tightened up the interface or it actually surfaces more than I remembered. The tutorial is great. I just picked Generic Humans and starting in the Sol system gives it that very Civilization feel.

Who knows if I'll continue to play long enough to run into the things that people still have issues with, but I remembered last night how fun the feeling of that first couple of hours is.

Yeah, I've personally been debating whether I want to wait until Heinlein comes out or to jump in right now, because major feature changes start happening.

I knew there had been one big patch, I hadn't realized they've already cranked out two. Lots and lots of balance changes. So yes, there have definitely been UI/UX improvements! It's still a very pretty game.

It sounds like they're focusing on the barren "mid-game" for the next patch? I've never made it to what I'd consider mid game yet, so no personal opinions. I wasn't able to find a more recent dev diary than May, so if anyone has a good round up on what the next patch is and whether it's "worth" waiting for it I'd be much obliged.

A friend of mine jumped back in after seeing a streamer playing, and downloaded a Star Trek full rebuild mod. I forget exactly what it's called, but it's near the top on the steam workshop and shouldn't be too hard to find. So far, it looks pretty cool.

Planning on getting back to Stellaris after the 1.3 Heinlein patch. (Hopefully it'll include the mid-game planetary events as well as all the other great-looking re-iterated design and balance changes).

I just played a game a few weeks ago. The patches up to this point have improved a lot of things about diplomacy and the early game, mid-game is still a bit of a slog. I'm looking forward to 1.3.

I just played a game a few weeks ago. The patches up to this point have improved a lot of things about diplomacy and the early game, mid-game is still a bit of a slog. I'm looking forward to 1.3.

I am really excited about upcoming content. Making Fallen Empires more interesting will be great.

That teaser was pretty neat. This new stuff makes me wish it were more of an RPG or adventure game, though. I want to, like, generate a galaxy and then commandeer a single ship and go find all the bullshit without having to manage an empire.

Basically, I should be playing Star Control II, Escape Velocity, Space Rangers or Starflight. 

That teaser was pretty neat. This new stuff makes me wish it were more of an RPG or adventure game, though. I want to, like, generate a galaxy and then commandeer a single ship and go find all the bullshit without having to manage an empire.

Basically, I should be playing Star Control II, Escape Velocity, Space Rangers or Starflight. 

Maybe you should try Thea:The Awakening?

Maybe you should try Thea:The Awakening?

Sorry for late post but FYI Thea has a demo that is full game except for DLC and updates. Let's you experience the game and see if you want to invest to get the more well rounded and polished product.

Continuing this tangent on exploration-heavy space games, it's a crime that there hasn't been an actual Star Trek game in this vein. I want to fly around a (2D) alpha quadrant, interfering with alien cultures, murdering their gods and scanning for dilithium. Basically, I want a Captain Kirk simulator. I want to develop an attachment to my ship and my crew over a series of adventures. 

I like the Starfleet Command series (the realtime electronic adaptation of Star Fleet Battles), but there's not much interesting context for the space brawls. My dream game would have choose-your-own-adventure shit like EV/Space Rangers/Sunless Sea where you have to deal with the Prime Directive and crap like that. 

All of these games draw so much inspiration from Trek, but I don't think the real deal has been realized outside of mods. 

I guess the closest thing to a big, explorable Trek is Star Trek Online, but it's pretty poopy.

I've purchased Leviathans and I'm looking forward to getting back into this later this evening. Been meaning to do that for a while with Stellaris and I'm really hoping this DLC and the update go a long way to sorting out the mid game issues The game had at launch. 

It's also a far cheaper option than getting Civ VI or BF1 tomorrow. Hem. 

Well I've been playing Stellaris a lot since Heinlein dropped and I have to say that by and large it doesn't really feel like much has changed on the surface. Oh sure there are the guardians and wars in heaven and what have you, but almost none of the underlying problems with the game have been addressed - sectors are still a great idea with terrible implementation, the mid game is as dull as ditch water still, and the end game crises still feel very circumstantial. All that said the level of customisation around races means that you ever play the same game twice and i you treat it more like CK2 than Masters of Orion, then it builds one hell of a story of your fledgling empire's rise to galactic dominance. Or not. Some of the AARs on the Stellaris forums are fantastic reads. It also feels incredibly circumstantial too - despite nearly 60 hours of game play since Leviathans dropped, I'll still not seen half the content from about 8 starts. Make of that what you will.

It needs a hell of a lot of fixing under the bonnet still , which is why I was disappointed that the bank's update planned for next year appears to be Paradox ignoring the known problems with the game and just concentrating on adding (admittedly great sounding) content. All that said though I am genuinely enjoying the game and can easily see make returns to it as more and more content is added. I just hope they don't stop addressing a lot of the issues which stop this from being a really great game instead of just a pretty good one.