BigJKO

Nintendo announces mobile deal with DeNA

So.. it's happening. Nintendo Mobile games. Brought to you by DeNA.

On the one hand, I don't mind mobile Nintendo games. Give me cool Nintendo mobile games, please. Advance Wars: iOS? Yes, please. :tup:

On the other hand, DeNA? I don't think I've heard of anything but shit, same-y Tower Defense etc. games from them. So.. them handling Nintendo's IP? Not very happy about that. :tdown:

They're also handling Nintendo's new unified online infrastructure. Which is.. well, they can't possibly handle it worse than Nintendo, but is there any reason to think they're any good at it? I don't see any reports mention what DeNA's track record is for such stuff?? :tmeh:

Bonus news: To assure people they're still into dedicated game hardware, they announced the mysterious codename NX. A brand new dedicated gaming hardware with no details whatsoever. Hope this isn't what replaced Wii U in a year or something, that'd bum me out a bit..

(source)

I feel like i can't really make a proper judgement about this news at this point in time.

Just speaking personally, i really don't like playing games on smartphones or tablet devices, so i would hope this doesn't mean that the only way - to run with your example - to play the next Advance Wars is to play it on iOS. That said, i don't think it will, it would seem hugely self-destructive to their established business and largely antithetical to the way Nintendo has been talking about mobile games for the last couple years. I think you'll see a lot of smaller games through this venture, a move to get their IP out in front of a wider audience, with the aim of hopefully providing a gateway back to Nintendo's own platforms. (That said, i detect echoes of Nintendo talking about the DS as a third pillar, and how the Gameboy line would definitely persist.)

Also, Nintendo apparently farming the management of their already shakey online infrastructure out to an unfamiliar third party is surprising and sounds like a prime recipe for a disaster, that is the part of this that has me the most uneasy. (At the very least, given the nature of this relationship, I expect obnoxious smartphone hooks. Just imagine! Grinding bad f2p mobile games to unlock stuff in "real" Mario games. It will happen, just you wait.)

On the other hand, DeNA? I don't think I've heard of anything but shit, same-y Tower Defense etc. games from them. So.. them handling Nintendo's IP? Not very happy about that. :tdown:

Eurogamer article luckily/hopefully says: "Speaking in a press conference this morning, Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata confirmed Nintendo would take charge of the actual game development - the front-end, gameplay and UI that players actually see."

There's a stupid part of me that dislikes the idea of Nintendo releasing games on other platforms than their own. Their exclusivity was what made them so unique and walled-off. I'm preeeeetty sure that for the foreseeable future (or forever) they'll never release a 'main' game in whatever series on any other platform than their own, though.

On the other hand, I'm really ambivalent about it. Go for it, Nintendo. You'll be fine.

More curious towards the NX, a boring working title if I ever saw one! Where's 'Dolphin' or 'Revolution'?

Is Nintendo actually taking charge of some of the game development? I guess I was getting a mixed signal from somewhere.

If anything this is a pilot test to see if Nintendo can deal with their games being in demand on other platforms. I mean, the IPs at least.

They're also handling Nintendo's new unified online infrastructure. Which is.. well, they can't possibly handle it worse than Nintendo, but is there any reason to think they're any good at it? I don't see any reports mention what DeNA's track record is for such stuff?? :tmeh:

From reading their Wikipedia article, I actually have some faith that they know what they're doing:

It owns the Lords Management M o bage platform, which is one of the most popular cell phone gaming platforms in Japan. It also operates many other services, including a popular e-commerce website DeNA Shopping (formerly: Bidders).

So whilst it may be a weird choice to hear about, maybe in Japan it isn't? From the looks of things, they also made the 'Rage of Bahmut' game, which is pretty popular over in Japan (Although I doubt it's as popular as Kancolle or Puzzle & Dragon)

I also agree with Roderick, I'm stupidly disappointed Nintendo have abandoned their own platforms.

Although saying all of this, Advance Wars would be perfect for smart phones. Ideally I'd like just a lump sum up-front, and no in-app bull, but I doubt it'll be that way. Who knows! 

edit: huh, i didn't know this forum autocorrected M-o-b-a to Lords management! what a bunch of *********s.

I have no idea what DeNA is. I don't know what to think about the Nintendo X. I'm just so confused right now.

If that means I can play some kind of animal crossing on my phone, brilliant.

I also agree with Roderick, I'm stupidly disappointed Nintendo have abandoned their own platforms.

I didn't say anything like that, though! I don't think Nintendo will abandon their own platforms ever. They're a core component of their money-making business. Just because they're dipping their toes in mobile waters, doesn't mean it has to be this watershed, dramatic moment where Nintendo becomes something else. For all we know, their strategy is to whet people's appetite on mobile for the real deal. These games could well serve a hidden function as marketing.

Considering I bought a Wii U recently, I'm kinda annoyed about the NX.

And after the fremium Pokémon puzzle game news about it being overflowing with in-app purchases, I'm kinda worried too.

It's too soon to say, but I'm rather weary.

Sorry for paraphrasing to such drastic measures! I hope that they don't abandon their own platforms too, because it's what makes Nintendo so great.

Also, the NX project has been leaked:

CASxTC6XIAApai5.jpg

If Nintendo is very hands-on about the games, I'm fine with this. Most of my fear of this came from DeNA being one of the worst offenders when it comes to gross F2P mechanics, but if Nintendo "flips the table" on that kind of stuff I'm fine with a mobile Nintendo branch. Also, unified account stuff is great and good that they're getting help with it, and they seem confident that DeNA has lots of experience with that.

Also, Advance Wars on iOS.

Advance Wars iOS.

Advance Wars: Internal Operation Strike

Avaaaaaaance Waaaaaaarsssss in my pocket!

EDIT: There's no confirmation that NX is to replace the Wii U. Dedicated Gaming Hardware could also refer to a handheld. OR something more exciting like a handheld that also streams to your TV or something, I dunno!

This day and age, Nintendo will not let low quality games come out for ANY platform regardless of who is developing them. There's just no way they go hands off and let someone else put out shitty titles using their characters and names, on other platforms. At this point if a Nintendo-branded game is bad, it's not because Nintendo didn't care enough or didn't pay close enough attention. These aren't the CD-i or Mario Teaches Typing days.

This seems like Nintendo admitting that they are terrible at online software infrastructure (which they are!) so they're partnering with a company that, in Japan at least, is better at it than they are.

Iwata specifically said that game development will be handled by Nintendo - they've just got someone with a decent track record in to handle the 'boring' backend online stuff.

As a way to spread awareness I think this was inevitable. It's a relatively cheap way to get access to anybody with a smartphone. I'm sure the games will be at the top of their category, whatever that may be. However, if the first splash screen of their first app isn't a squidgy tugable Mario 64 face, Nintendo are doomed, etc  ;)

Re: the NX, I LOVE how 90s that sounds. I mean, it's got an X in it! Ultra rad. As a man who's a couple of weeks away from a New 3DS it kinda took the wind out of my sails to hear there's new hardware on the horizon, but they were right to announce it, even if it's a nothing announcement.

All told, everything's gooood.

I'm definitely not afraid of low-quality stuff. I'm confident that these'll be really well-produced mobile games. And that's super exciting!

The only thing I'm afraid of is them dipping their toes in F2P and doing it badly. They might do it well (that baseball game sounded like it had a really interesting bartering F2P concept) or they might do it badly (from what I hear Pokémon Shuffle is just basic, boring energy system), but I'm super excited about some Nintendo-quality mobile games. I just hope DeNA don't do too much consulting on how to design the perfect whale-manipulating F2P system, which from what I read they're really good at...

Unified Account Platform is Ace, though. Super excited about this! :tup:

EDIT: This has been a rollercoaster-ride of emotions this morning, all the way from just hearing "Nintendo & DeNA", looking at DeNA's list of games and thinking "WHAT?!" and to now being cautiously optimistic about this and honestly, a bit excited!

Calls for Nintendo to start doing mobile stuff is usually coupled with them abandoning handheld consoles. I'd imagine, given the timing and theme of the conference, that NX is a successor to the 3DS and not a Wii U replacement, which would make sense because the 3DS's lifecycle is definitely approaching its end.

Nintendo desperately needed to outsource large parts of their online infrastructure. They're not good at it and they don't care enough about it to make it a priority. (There is a long list of things that Nintendo are bad at that they don't care about, and at least some of them - firmware, APIs - are things that hamstring their platforms.)

Also, here's the full transcript from the conference: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/05.html

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I'm guessing these are official slides that they used at the presentation? If so this one is baffling:

04l.jpg

A.... Virtual Boy? whu? why? why that instead of the Gameboy? 

Welp, there goes a whole subset of Nintendo games that I'll never play. Oh well. ):

As someone with a great personal appreciation for free-to-play games like Puzzle and Dragons and Marvel Puzzle Quest, I predictably find myself a lot more interested and optimistic about this than seemingly anyone else on the internet. Sure Pokemon Shuffle was offensive, but it seemed like Nintendo trying to map F2P mechanics on one of their normal puzzle games. Mario P&D seems a little bit more smartly designed, with the Nintendo characters fitting in a good F2P formula rather than the other way around.

I'm hoping that by basically bringing in a mobile developer, Nintendo is admitting that they're not experts on this but I trust them to be a guiding hand to make tasteful decisions and quality games.

If NX really is the follow-up to the 3DS, doesn't that take the wind out of the New 3DS' sails? I do find it entirely more plausible than it being Wii U Too, but in my heart of hearts the 3DS still feels like a young whippersnapper of a handheld. It came out in 2011! Surely it has more life in it than a measly five-odd years? (OK, the original DS came out in 2005, so it had six.)

These aren't the CD-i or Mario Teaches Typing days.

Hold on, now.  Let's keep this civilized.

Source: Mario taught me typing.

Although saying all of this, Advance Wars would be perfect for smart phones. Ideally I'd like just a lump sum up-front, and no in-app bull, but I doubt it'll be that way. Who knows! 

I don't think we'll be getting anything less than A-tier Nintendo IPs on mobile, but with their mechanics replaced with ones that work better on those devices.

basically

The only A-tier Nintendo IP I can see coming to mobile and retaining a semblance of its original form are Pokémon and Animal Crossing, and I don't trust them to not turn those into exploitative freemium games to survive in a mobile market.

Yoshi Touch & Go was fucking fantastic, and yes I really mean that. I spent many hours competing with a small group of friends for high scores. I got pretty dang good at it... But playing that game with my fat fingers instead of a precise stylus sounds like a nightmare.

This is why I literally (as of right now, until proven otherwise, who knows, it could happen??) have zero interest in Nintendo's mobile endeavors.

Yoshi Touch and go was great, but I felt Canvas Curse did it better.

Actually, all the minigames on Mario 64 DS would be brilliant. Especially that bomb-omb game.

I reckon that's why a tactical game like AW or FE would work so well, because it's turn based and tactical. My fat thumbs could easily select a square on awakening on the 3DS.

Animal Crossing on the phone is a worryingly great idea that would suck more of my life and money away.

A variant of TomoLife would be insane too. You could probably then link it up to Facebook or something to have a Farmville-esq tower. 

or Mario Teaches Typing days.

Damn right, it's all about pokemon typing these days:

img_main.jpg