Architecture

Actually, It's about Relocation in Games Journalism

Who is going to be their moral center now? Nobody else seems particularly interested in stepping outside the white middle-class male perspective they inherently have.

Not to make this too Social Justice-y, I guess I'm just hoping more than ever that their next hire or two are more progressive and active in the broader community.

Doubts are high on this. Secretly hoping they hire Cara Ellison to join the East crew, but travelling around the world and living with various game devs seems way more interesting work than telling jokes over video game footage. Who knows?

Doubts are high on this. Secretly hoping they hire Cara Ellison to join the East crew, but travelling around the world and living with various game devs seems way more interesting work than telling jokes over video game footage. Who knows?

To be fair, Cara has recently been talking about wanting to settle down as her Embed Project comes to a close and she doesn't want to be a nomad for much longer.

In Giant Bomb-related news, their panel at Pax South is bumping right up against a Women in Geek Media panel and I feel like I'm having a moral crisis.

If we keep it up at this rate 2016 will both be the year and number of official Thumbs

I just want to make sure that people get another chance to see this post

No way. Let's keep it going. Step up. Fuck yeah. Lock and load. Rodkin roll.

see I can't tell if you guys like my post or not and I'm not gonna make a joke about Steve

see I can't tell if you guys like my post or not and I'm not gonna make a joke about Steve

I don't get it.

I liked your post.

I liked it the first time, then it started getting a bit repetitive.

My question is do they replace him? He was the news person/person who cared most about written stuff but I don't think the rest of them care much about that and him being in Chicago he was out the door video wise bar spooking with scoops and bombing the am podcast which could be replaced with a vinny/alex one.

My crazy theory - he is going to salon cause he tweeted something in the last week bout it than when I heard he was leaving that was the first place that poped into my head.

Also is this related to a job posting for cbsi a month or two ago looking for an east coast editor or was that something else entirely

My question is do they replace him? He was the news person/person who cared most about written stuff but I don't think the rest of them care much about that and him being in Chicago he was out the door video wise bar spooking with scoops and bombing the am podcast which could be replaced with a vinny/alex one.

My crazy theory - he is going to salon cause he tweeted something in the last week bout it than when I heard he was leaving that was the first place that poped into my head.

Also is this related to a job posting for cbsi a month or two ago looking for an east coast editor or was that something else entirely

Jeff said on his tumblr that the New York position that has been open for a couple of months is intended to replace Patrick.

I guess he's going independent now? I don't know, I'm recalling the Bombin' the AM episode a month back with Jim Sterling where they talked about Patreon for like 40 minutes.

I don't know in much detail but Patrick appeared to be heavily responsible for networking with other people and getting them in GB site content. The podcast guests, the E3 panels, his interviews etc. I hope someone can pick up the slack there. I've become pretty bored with Giant Bomb (mostly Dan) so the times where they get other rad people have been the most entertaining for me this last year.

That would make some sense. I was thinking that if he's leaving Giant Bomb, I could see him taking on the role of writing about games for a more general interest kind of site, Salon being one of those. He could be the Simon Parkin to their New Yorker.

That's somewhat disappointing. I was hoping he'd go somewhere where we'd still see him on video often, and while I don't have anything specific against Kotaku, they're near the bottom of the popular gaming news websites I like to visit.

Kotaku huh. 

Odd, I got the feeling he was looking to spread is wings a bit further than that.

I wonder what he can do there that he couldn't do at Giant Bomb?

That's somewhat disappointing. I was hoping he'd go somewhere where we'd still see him on video often, and while I don't have anything specific against Kotaku, they're near the bottom of the popular gaming news websites I like to visit.

Same. Though I've been impressed with a bunch of their long form articles I've gotten direct links too, I never go there on the reg. Maybe he just wants to do more writing and journalism and less video / podcasting.

Yeah, I've gotta admit, I'm a bit disappointed by it too. Kotaku in 2013 and before was fairly consistently releasing things where I really boggled at the range in quality, and up until their Fire Emblem: Awakening review, I felt like their reviews always left me puzzled- sure, they told you what to do in the review itself, but the actual text of the review did an awful job of saying why, which if you're gonna get rid of scores(as one should), you really need to get the text right.

Furthermore, it removes his personality in a way I'm not a fan of. I understand not wanting to do the everyday podcast thing, but I suppose as a fan of him personally it's disappointing. Then again, there's a few people at Kotaku I'd love to hear on a podcast, but they're also too spread out for it to be a good time, to me. I guess I've gotten used to the Idle Thumbs/GB style of needing to be in the same room.

I dunno, it feels really puzzling in a lot of ways. Kotaku is great but I honestly have trouble with this purely on the merit that even for as much as I horrifically disagree with nearly every remaining member of GB, they're one of the few outlets where I feel like they really get the new way of media- that personality wins above all else, because it's what lets you write what you want.

I believe he was the one who brought up the idea of doing the Bombing in the AM podcast (it certainly sounded as such in his goodbye episode) so maybe he's being brought on to start up a Kotaku podcast? Since that's the way I primarily digest news these days, that would be kinda cool. I'd try it out at least.

He's the intern. When he guested a few weeks back, it was when he was in town for the interview. Nailed it.

I can't believe you've done this. Why would you lie like that on the internet?