maxwellyoung

How do you organize your steam library?

Started organizing my games thanks to this thread and when I add to one category it takes them out of the main games category and that is bad. I want to have a master list and then also be able to browse by tags. Going to have to go through and ungroup everything again. :(

Then make a main games group and add them all to that first?

But what if you forget to add a game to the master list and can never be quite sure that your master list is truly complete. What if Twig. What if.

oh no whatever will we do

switch to grid mode and zoom all the way out

It's just easier for me to type in the name of the game I want to play or browse through my installed list and settle on something.

It's fine.

But what if you forget to add a game to the master list and can never be quite sure that your master list is truly complete. What if Twig. What if.

If you press the filtering option (next to 'search') the drop down lists the number of games in each category, including your total number of games. So you can just check if your own master list matches the total number of games you have.

• Good games

ARGs

Multiplayer

Edutainment

RPGs

Grrrrreat games!

Adwenture

Transport (cars, planes, etc.)

Parlour games ("The Minister's Cat", "Hyakumonogatari Kaidankai", etc.)

It turns out Steam categories support emoji, so I have:

❤ for games that I will return to frequently (contains 5 games)

for games that I have started and wish to return to (contains 14 games)

for games that I have not yet played, and possibly know little about (contains 99 games)

for games that I am unlikely to play more, due to completion abandonment or some other reason (contains 99 games)

for things that are not games (eg. prototypes/alternative modes to games) or in some cases games I will never want to return to (contains 40 things)

EDIT: Well the forums refused my emoji, so here's a picture showing them (in the above order):

post-34425-0-35599400-1452549252.png

I keep mine super simple:

Completed

Not Completed (still empty, hurray for no Steam backlog!)

I have the benefit of a huge HDD so I install everything when I buy it then uninstall it when I'm done with it.

Just the stuff I haven't organized yet. Same for SteamVR, I'm pretty sure that's an automatic folder.

Well, as when you had this problem before!, your solution is to shift-click your entire list, add them to a single category with whatever name you want.

Then from there add each game you want to organize separately to another category.

The system supports multiple categories.

Alternatively use Depressurizer, which, as of last time I used it, is a pretty good tool for efficiently organizing your Steam library.

EDIT: And apparently viewing in grid mode doesn't use the categories, so you could use that if you wanted, too. Multiple solutions! I'd suggest the first one, though, as that's more in line with what you probably want. And it's pretty easy!

I reserve "Favorites" for games I'm currently playing, tend to go back to often, or just actually think are the best games over. Then I have some categories.

"A Good Game" - Games that I liked a lot but have finished and won't go back to often, and/or don't have installed anymore.

"Bad Game" - Games that aren't installed anymore and will never be again.

"Old Game" - Games that I likely won't go back to. Not out of dislike, but because they're probably out of date (ex; Torchlight is in here, TL2 surpasses all itches scratched) or don't have a community for them.

The default "Games" list Steam has is full of games I haven't played yet. I have 28 items in there right now but some of them are test versions of games.

Eh I just browse by recent and let the 5 or so games I play frequently leapfrog each other.

It's not the most efficient method but I don't think I'd have it another way.