twmac

An email I sent to Giantbomb

Yeah, I'm really enjoying this side of Dan and Danny so far.

Has convinced me that I should pick up his next book.

I, too, enjoyed Danswers. I'm pretty pro-Dan in general, but the more he shows his reasonable/relatively responsible/sensitive/whatever side, the less conflicted I can feel about that.

Eh I always get days-in-a-month mixed up, with the exception of February, for obvious reasons. I've made that mistake before.

Eh I always get days-in-a-month mixed up, with the exception of February, for obvious reasons.

The obvious reason being that it has so damn many of them. Got it.

Wow, Dan is a crazy human being. "I'm scared of heights, so I guess I'll go jump out of an airplane."

I can't for the life of me figure out how to manually add podcasts in Android Pocket Casts.

EDIT: Paste into the search box, FYI.

So Dan Ryckert got me into Puyopuyo Tetris (the disc version released in Japan is region free) - oh my word how this game shits all over the Ubisoft version we got.

Not only does it have all the game modes from Ultimate Tetris, it also has the Puyopuyo modes that are mental AND it has a bonkers single -player campaign.

Yeah, my brother-in-law bought Puyo Puyo as soon as it came out and we played it a bit over Christmas. It's pretty fun and when Play-Asia got some more in stock I ordered a copy. Can't wait for it to arrive! Basically all the JP Tetris games wreck NA games, I'm also a pretty big fan of Tetris: The Grand Master Ace for Xbox 360.

See, I am not very good at Tetris but I do play a mean Puyo Puyo (Super Puzzle Fighter has trained me well) so having this mashup is exactly what I wanted.

The combination of the two is so weird.

Yesasia also have some in stock so anyone who hasn't played it really should.

Dan reminds me a lot of my best friend in high school. He was in equal parts brilliant and infuriating, one of those people who will kick your ass at pretty much anything, do amazing stuff but answer every question in a History exam with "slaves" and ask for all directions to be given in relation to the supermarket across the street from where he lived. 

That being said, he comes across as much more thoughtful and reasonable on Danswers, which makes me think that a lot of the time he's just playing stuff up for laughs.

It took me like thirty seconds to realize that was Majora's Mask and not some scene from Rebuild of Evangelion that I had somehow forgotten.

So who else loved Eye of the Ryckert?

Drew getting angry at Dan for ruining the premium content schedule by beating Tyson on his first day was just the best. "It took me like a week to set this room up!"

Danswers is a pretty great listen. I think it humanizes Dan a lot, but I also think it benefits massively from having Danny there to check some of his more... folk wisdom-y views. Like, their chemistry is great, and they never act condescending to one another, but Danny never seems to hesitate to interject with "well yes, but maybe also this" whenever Dan is starting to come across as too absolute.

But anyway FUCK OPINIONS the new Demo Derby is out which is THE BEST FEATURE so excuse me while I leave my misgivings at the door and go enjoy myself unequivocally. http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/demo-derby-official-playstation-magazine-issue-85/2300-9944/

Edit: 3 minutes in and this is already hilarious. <3 Jeff.

The new demo derby gets really amazing when they get into the old E3 footage.

The kid whose awful audition video they watch turns up in the comments going "Oh god, I haven't seen that tape in 10 years."

Now I can't imagine how they've done a Demo Derby without Jeff. You can call him negative and cynical as much as you like, but very few people know about the last 25 years of this industry as much as the guy.

It took me like thirty seconds to realize that was Majora's Mask and not some scene from Rebuild of Evangelion that I had somehow forgotten.

So who else loved Eye of the Ryckert?

Drew getting angry at Dan for ruining the premium content schedule by beating Tyson on his first day was just the best. "It took me like a week to set this room up!"

I shouldn't have read that spoiler. Oh well, I was thinking about giving that feature a miss anyway, now at least I know it'll be worth seeing.

Edit: Meh, Bombcast spoiled it too, so whatever I guess.

The new demo derby gets really amazing when they get into the old E3 footage.

The kid whose awful audition video they watch turns up in the comments going "Oh god, I haven't seen that tape in 10 years."

Oh no. I was wondering how that kid would react to that if he was around.

This video is the first time I've heard Jeff laughing so much in a good while. Not that anything will ever top this -

I really want to go back and watch some videos from early Giant Bomb before I started watching, but man seeing Ryan still hurts a bit.

Holy shit, I didn't see that. The tail end of that video was great. Drew's protests eventually breaking down to a simple pained "NO!", in particular.

And yes, Danswers gives a much more rounded view of Dan, I think.

I can't wait for the next episode of the D&D thing. I'm excited by how earnestly Dan seems to be treating it. I'm sure his character will be very much his own thing, but he seems happy to do so on the game's terms, and Rorie seems like he could be pretty good at finding a way to make things fit, if that makes any sense. I've never played it myself, so I'm pretty interested to see more of the nuts and bolts stuff than The Adventure Zone lays bare.

It's really making me want to play a campaign again for the first time since 2nd year university. Learning last week that my principal and librarian at school are both lapsed players has brought it back in my head in a big way.

Check out the Tabletop Roleplaying thread and maybe you can find other people to get a game going!

I'm excited by how earnestly Dan seems to be treating it. I'm sure his character will be very much his own thing, but he seems happy to do so on the game's terms

Dan's character is Ric Flair. He's just seeing how long he can keep it up before one of the others realizes it.