Sno

The terrible wallet scourge of the Amiibo.

The answer is Kirby.

She wanted toon link but since not released chose Mario.  Then I had the mildly difficult task of explaining what it did.

I have an amiibo! My partner gave me DK for Xmas (which we celebrate on the 24th here). I'm excited to go back home so I can use it, but that won't be for a week.

So yeah...what do they do again?

They provide a computer opponent in Smash Brothers that studies your play style and gets better at beating you.

Edit: And hopefully other things in other games at some point, maybe.

So, how much better are they than the level 9 opponents? I'm not good enough to win consistently against them yet!

I didn't think I'd like the models so much. I kinda want one for my desk at work.

Inspired by Amiibos unearthing the memory of there totally already being way better merchandise of certain Nintendo characters i love, i now have a Samus Figma. (Posed to recreate the box art from Super Metroid, as it should only ever be.)

Way cooler than Amiibos.

So, how much better are they than the level 9 opponents? I'm not good enough to win consistently against them yet!

I didn't think I'd like the models so much. I kinda want one for my desk at work.

A max level amiibo nearly won a Smash tournament. They're basically super good at dodging and timing I believe.

At last the real reason why anyone should buy an amiibo:

OnePiece-SuperGrandBattleX-Amiibo-Costum

One-Piece-amiibo-Trailer-630x351.jpg

I'm actually really excited about this, as it mixes the two things I love the most, but I doubt that this one piece game will ever see light on these shores. Also Chopper looks fucking adorable. Like he does in everything.

A max level amiibo nearly won a Smash tournament. They're basically super good at dodging and timing I believe.

They're also either programmed with, or allegedly able to emulate, some fairly high-level tactics. It's not just a matter of perfect machine reactions.

Either way, it sounds like they're a few steps beyond beyond the normal AI opponents.

my mario is at ~35 just by playing handful of 2v6(lvl6 comps) matches - at mid 30's he started being able to help me clean the board.  At lvl50 and feeding him some equipment i think we'll be able to 2v8 (lvl9)

i cant say that he is learning anything from me though, i play a  Jet-Hammer King D3 - this mario ai keeps jumping around and "dodging"

Interesting. So to train them you have to bring them along for matches. That means I need to pick up falco some time. He'd be a sweet ally.

I am by no means a smash professional. Around level 20/21 my Amiibo have started being able to put up a really tough challenge for me. It's pretty cool to have a set of ready-to-go opponents because my friends and I are all adults and it's hard to set up a game very often. I like having a set of them there.

That's cool to know. I don't have human opponents other than online. I have one coworker that owns smash, but I never see her online (May just be a fault of the wiiu's friend system and how it doesn't mark it easy).

The quality of the figures is high enough that I'd get more than one. I was concerned that they'd be cheaply made and look awful.

My level 40 Samus is far far too good at fighting me specifically. If I don't make mistakes, and have some luck on my side, I can beat her, but otherwise, the amiibo training process mostly seems to have created a monster who is super amazing at dodging my attacks. I can't get off hits on her, especially as Zero Suit Samus, my main. I've even trained her with items on and she's pretty deadly with a baseball bat. Or, even worse, when a smash ball comes flying in.

For Christmas I completed my Nintendo Franchises I Care A Lot About Mini Set and received Link, Mario, and Fox McCloud. They're all handsome little figures, and I shudder to think how a high powered Fox AI would do against me.

(Also, I only trained "alongside" Samus for a bit, then we trained head to head, and she raced through the levels. I do hope she doesn't carry any resentment.)

So Nintendo has clarified something fairly crucial about amiibos while announcing their new Super Mario Bros-specific Amiibo line.

So for example, it won't matter what product line your Mario amiibo is from, games will always just see a Mario amiibo as Mario.

So you can, in fact, use your Smash Mario with Mario Party 10, the game being made for the new amiibo line. It's also noted that you would have to delete the Amiibo's save data for Smash to do this, however. This sort of stuff was to be expected though, the amount of writable space on an NFC chip is incredibly tiny.

This seems like the best possible approach to all of this stuff though.

Unfortunately, i don't believe you can.

It doesn't seem like there's going to be a ton of games that actually need to write to the NFC chip, but yeah, it would be nice if that was addressed as well. They could perhaps release an app for the N3DS and Wii U that allows you store and manage NFC chip saves.

They're already doing more than i was expecting out of them though, that the current amiibos are being promised a measure of compatibility going forward is an important gesture.

This seems like the best possible approach to all of this stuff though.

Disney Infinity lets you back up figurine data. Just sayin'.

Man, I'm super glad that I've decided not to get into amiibos, because otherwise I'd be murdering peeps left and right trying to get one of the dozen or so Ness Amiibos that they're sure to produce.

Disney Infinity lets you back up figurine data. Just sayin'.

Well, if that's actually a standard feature in the competition, then it definitely puts more pressure on Nintendo to provide a similar solution.

Man, I'm super glad that I've decided not to get into amiibos, because otherwise I'd be murdering peeps left and right trying to get one of the dozen or so Ness Amiibos that they're sure to produce.

I'm not convinced the Captain Falcon amiibo actually exists, because i definitely searched.

Also, it kind of feels like a dick move that Codename Steam will have fully fleshed out, playable FE characters to be unlocked by the smash amiibos of those FE characters, when those amiibos are bound to be wildly underproduced.

I have all of the current Amiibos except Pit and Little Mac who are impossible to find. I've also pre-ordered all of the next wave except the stupid fucking store exclusives which were all gone way too fast before I even knew they were up.

Yeah I'm part of the problem and I feel pretty bad about it (just on a personal level, like why the hell am I doing this) but also they're rad so I don't feel bad after all fuckyoufuckmefuck. ):

Funny thing: Stores of a certain chain in my area apparently aren't even allowed to take in-store amiibo pre-orders anymore because of issues with scalpers.

Yeah the scalpers are really ruining a lot of people's fun. It's super shitty. Anything that goes up and is known to be rare disappears within minutes. Ugh.

I heard Marth showed up for like a minute earlier today on Amazon and was instantly gone.